Quickie Ripple

Stitchinpick

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the pattern. I have started one and hopefully I will finish it for my dd's birthday in late January! (Have to do it in secret!) It's a nice pattern.

• 2 weeks later...

Stichinpick,

I just discovered this website today through a search for a super easy ripple afghan. Since I'm "pattern-challenged" I've had a hard time finding one that I can follow. I just wanted you to know that I printed out your directions this afternoon along with the clarification from Silvermoon and I'm already on my 5th row. Since it's just practice until I can get to the yarn store, it's in some pretty ugly colors right now. I plan to start over in solid colors. I got a digital camera for Christmas this year so as soon as I finish I'll post one of my finished blanket. I'm so proud!!!

Man, I was so proud of myself for finally being able to follow a pattern, but looking at my ripple from a distance - you can tell I've messed it up. My grandmother tells me I'm "pattern illiterate" but that's why I'm better at creating my own stuff. On this Quickie Ripple pattern, once I get to row 2, things aren't lining up. I'm counting everything the way it says, but I'm pretty sure it's me and not the pattern as others have used it successfully. I'm having problems when I get to my mountains:think . Since I've already crocheted 3sc on the previous row, which one of the three do I use on the next row? Do I insert my hook into the back loop of all htree and sc as one? Please help! I really want this to turn out right.

Ok, I frogged it and started over. It's still not right. I figured out how to make the mountains and valleys line up, but now my edges aren't in line. It seems like towards the end of one side, I crochet less as I go down the valley so that each row it takes less titches before I have to skip 2. This is the easiest pattern I've ever seen. Why can't I get it?????

Hi! I can try to help you, since I am on the 4th row now, lol! Do you keep getting stuck at the ends or somewhere in the middle?

I find that making sure you have no interruptions while doing this project is key, since you have to count. In the first few rows anyway, to make sure your ends come out even. When you get to the final two stitches, are you combining them into one single crochet? That is important, as it makes the ends even as well. You have to Yarn Over (YO) and pull up a loop, go to the next stitch, Yarn Over again, and there should be 3 loops on your crochet hook, Yarn Over and pull thru all 3 loops on the hook, and that should be the end of the row. On the next row, do the same thing, chain 1 though, then do the YO thing, and go about your mountains and valleys.

Hope this helps somewhat...if not let us know...I had the worst time with ripples, some ripples are harder than others for some reason.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I love this pattern! I started it this week. I bought 4 1 lb. skeins of yarn, I hope that will be enough. My problem is that I either have an extra stitch or not enough. I count all the way through but it still comes out with extra stitches. :eek Oh no!:( I'm gonna have to FROG it! I see what I have (or haven't) done. I'm not finishing each row right. Oh well, starting over again. In Lavenia's battle with the yarn: Yarn 1, Lavenia 0!:lol:hook:yarn Be back when I'm back to this point again.

Linda,

Thanks for the pattern. Your afghan is georgeous. So far I have made two with another one started. The pattern is fast and easy. I love it.

Thanks,

Linda

I'm making this right now, but me being me, had to make some changes:

1. I'm doing stripes

2. I'm throwing a few rows of dc for interest.

3. I'm doing the stripes using the painting with yarn technique.

I have written down all my changes, and when I'm done, I'll post the modifications on my blog. I hope I can get this done by this weekend, as I want to get this to my Grandma asap. She's not doing well, and I really want her to have something I made her before she leaves us.

I have written down all my changes, and when I'm done, I'll post the modifications on my blog. I hope I can get this done by this weekend, as I want to get this to my Grandma asap. She's not doing well, and I really want her to have something I made her before she leaves us.

:candle :rose Sorry to hear about your Grandma not doing well.:rose :candle

I loved that you are doing a variety of colors and textures(single & doublecrochet). I also loved the Afghan in all white. Nice that you can do so much with what sounds like an easy pattern...

:knit I will have to try this now.:dog

Nice that you can do so much with what sounds like an easy pattern...

That's what's great about these basic patterns; they are like a white sauce in cooking. Great on their own, but with a few additions, you can have a cheese sauce, or a hollandaise sauce or alfredo!

My Grandma wants an afghan that matches her sofa, which has shades of rose, burgundy and green in it, so that's why I'm doing the stripes for her.

I'm adding the dc b/c all those scs make my hands hurt - it's a purely practical adaptation that also looks good!

Archived