Quickie Ripple

Stitchinpick

:hook I'm still working on my afghan! I just love it:manyheart I have only worked it while I'm at work.(I'm a hospice nurse). I like something I can work on & put down to care for my patient then return to it when I can. I'll take a picture & work on posting it! I got past my trouble spot & am enjoying working on it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I will definitely be trying this, I haven't made a ripple before so wish me luck! What difference does using two strands make? Just a thicker blanket? Would it be possible to do this using only one strand of yarn?

~Jessica

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello! I just wanted to say that I love this pattern. Here is a lick to my version of this ripple.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91590

I am already planning another one where the colors fade from Light to Dark and it will be done in Beiges and Browns.

Thanks again for this great pattern.

• 9 months later...

I found this pattern the other day and started making an afghan for my mom. I had previously tried other ripple/chevron/zig zag patterns and had trouble with them, but this pattern is great and easy to follow. Thanks for posting it!

I would like to make one for my husband, but wider, possibly that would fit on our queen size bed. Can anyone tell me how this pattern would be increased, i.e. possibly by multiples of 10? I'm somewhat new to crocheting and not sure how to increase a pattern in order to make it wider so any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hello! It's been a long time but in that time I've made 2 afghans from this pattern. The first one looked like yours, same color and all. The next one I mad for my brother in law a year ago. I used a navy thread and a baby blue color together. He was thrilled because it was the Dallas Cowboy colors! :lol That was funny because that wasn't why I picked those colors but when I was almost finished I noticed that too. If I can get a picture of it I'll post it. Thanks for sharing.:cheer

I love the simple patterns the best - to illustrate my point, my DIL bought me the pattern for the Cathedral Rose Window Afghan from Annie's Attic and enough yarn to make. It's about halfway done and has been sitting in my closet at that point for probably a year now without any work on it. She bought it in 2008! I've started and finished many simpler patterns since then. I like things where I can see results quickly.

I am always looking for more ripple patterns. I have done tons of baby ripple patterns, and have been looking for something simple and nice for me. I always seem to make things for others, and forget about myself..

Ahh the gift of giving!:crocheting

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for posting this - i will be trying it ASAP! Never done more than a few rows of ripple before, but the pattern looks fab!

Thanks again :)

• 4 years later...

I know it says holding 2 strands of yarn together. . . Could it be done normal? With just one strand of yarn? Also i am unable to see the picture :-(

Hi and welcome to the "Ville.

The post you refer to is from way back in 2005 and there were many changes on Crochetville since then. If you go back to post #1, you will see a dead link to the photo of the afghan. It's between the two words "img". You can copy and paste the link in your browser and it will take you to the photo.

Also, you can indeed make this pattern with one strand of yarn, however, you will need to use the recommended hook size for that particular yarn. And, it will take much longer to complete the afghan unless you use Bulky/Chunky type yarn. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your response. I also had a question. I just started and when i do the mountains (3 sc in one stitch ) i get like a gap below it. Im thinking im foing something wrong...im going to keep messing with it but i didn't know if that was common in the beginning and if it levels out or not

Hi.

I am i think on my third or fourth row. But when i do the yo thing at the end and then chain one and do it again my edges are not even...i have been counting very carefully my stitches as i go and they are all correct. Its just the ends. I am not sure what i am doing wrong. So at the last two i am pulling a loop go to next stitch pull a loop (3 loops on hook) yo and pull through all 3 loops. Then i turn, chain one and do it again. Is that correct? Because like i said my edges are so not even lol

Hi! I can try to help you, since I am on the 4th row now, lol! Do you keep getting stuck at the ends or somewhere in the middle?

I find that making sure you have no interruptions while doing this project is key, since you have to count. In the first few rows anyway, to make sure your ends come out even. When you get to the final two stitches, are you combining them into one single crochet? That is important, as it makes the ends even as well. You have to Yarn Over (YO) and pull up a loop, go to the next stitch, Yarn Over again, and there should be 3 loops on your crochet hook, Yarn Over and pull thru all 3 loops on the hook, and that should be the end of the row. On the next row, do the same thing, chain 1 though, then do the YO thing, and go about your mountains and valleys.

Hope this helps somewhat...if not let us know...I had the worst time with ripples, some ripples are harder than others for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

If I wanted to make a smaller blanket by this pattern (for baby), can anyone tell me how many I would need to chain? I tried calculating from the first of the instruction to the end of the repeat but I got frustrated.

Thanks.

you should be able to simply make a chain that is longer than you want the width of the blanket to be, then work the pattern until you have as many ripples as you want.  Just ignore the unused chains and you can unravel them when finished.

i always add at least 10% approx to the length of the chain, and for a ripple you may want to make it about 30% longer than the width you want because of the curves of the ripple.  

Archived