Boxing Day 2024 - share any charity!

babypoohsmom

Posted (edited)

Yes, you remember correctly, I do crochet rather on the tight side. 
These shoes look much easier to me…😆

IMG_2806.thumb.jpeg.e1046a2c76650534bc01ad539e0053aa.jpeg
Maybe I should buy shoes and make the dresses to match!!

Edited by babypoohsmom
  • Haha 1

I always end up using a larger sometimes 2X larger hook depending on the doll and the shoe pattern.  Every so often I shock myself and find I can use an H instead of an I when the pattern calls for an f or a g.  Recently I started making shoes for the Our Generation and for some reason they seem to need a smaller shoe.  I just accept it as being my odd gauge.

2 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Yes, you remember correctly, I do crochet rather on the tight side. 
These shoes look much easier to me…😆

IMG_2806.thumb.jpeg.e1046a2c76650534bc01ad539e0053aa.jpeg
Maybe I should buy shoes and make the dresses to match!!

Sounds like a marvelous idea!  I have seen instructions on making shoes using Duck tape or craft foam but it looked tedious.

I just finished a t-shirt dress for the AG size doll 18"

I am making another, and maybe a third.  If nothing else, I am cutting down on my thread.  Still working on the yarn.

New dress charity 2024.jpg

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Several months ago, I bought this yarn at Michael’s, just one skein, to give it a try. It is for sure two thumbs down from me. The “color changes” feel as if they are glued together and there is no transition at all. Yuk. I’m frogging this tomorrow for sure.

IMG_2812.thumb.jpeg.40f579f660336f9f6a5698d686c75c6f.jpeg

IMG_2813.thumb.jpeg.a7b050d406fbd7c11d1e7f995732690f.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom

I wonder what it could possibly be designed to make?  I find myself challenged with the self striping sometimes because I'm making doll items and the yarn is designed for blanket stripes but that would be one funky blanket.

I'm sorry the experience was so frustrating.  I didn't have great experience with Michael's house brand years ago and I haven't been back.  I used to buy AC Moore's brands because they had the lighter weights for the smaller dolls but the Michaels stuff was not a great alternative.

Speaking of yarn, has anyone seen the yarn from Red Heart that is called Granny Square?  Here is an example of Red Heart Granny Square yarn.

Facinates me the way it works.  Someone I know is using it now and she says it is so much easier, no ends to weave in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tampa Doll said:

Speaking of yarn, has anyone seen the yarn from Red Heart that is called Granny Square?  Here is an example of Red Heart Granny Square yarn.

Facinates me the way it works.  Someone I know is using it now and she says it is so much easier, no ends to weave in.

I saw it in an email and wondered how well it would work up. Looks like it's pretty dependent on you having the right gauge. I was always intrigued by the pooling yarns, but again the gauge thing.

• Like 2

It just facinated me and I saw  my friend made the squares.  Everything depends on the gauge.  Oh well, it looks fun.

• Like 1

I’ve watched a few you tube videos on that RH GS yarn and I’d rather weave in the ends than stitch, frog, try to force myself to crochet loose/tight, frog more. Nope! 
I have always liked the Micheal’s “Craftsmart” brand, but now they have switched that to Loops and Threads too. It feels the same but I haven’t tried any. 
But, yeah, I was hoping for a smoother color transition. Good thing I only bought one! 

Posted (edited)

I’ve been wanting to try this yarn, but it’s $13 per skein. Found a 50% off coupon and bought this for $7.03 total. It’s weird how I have a zillion skeins of yarn but THIS one is my new obsession! Lol, who can relate?
So should it be a hat or a doll dress? IMG_8622.thumb.jpeg.3cd11b3fb047e678cbcb593573fee63a.jpegPS, it’s a Caron cinnamon swirl cake. Colorway is sugar mint. 

Edited by babypoohsmom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, babypoohsmom said:

I’ve been wanting to try this yarn, but it’s $13 per skein. Found a 50% off coupon and bought this for $7.03 total. It’s weird how I have a zillion skeins of yarn but THIS one is my new obsession! Lol, who can relate?
So should it be a hat or a doll dress? IMG_8622.thumb.jpeg.3cd11b3fb047e678cbcb593573fee63a.jpegPS, it’s a Caron cinnamon swirl cake. Colorway is sugar mint. 

Well isn't there enough for both?:rofl

There are some pretty colors in that yarn. Hopefully it will be available for a while. Seems like some of the Caron cakes are discontinued pretty quickly or at least by the time I see them.

It's interesting that we were discussing thickness of yarns.  I was making one of Darski's patterns yesterday using two yellow yarns.  One I suspected was Big Twist which can be lighter the other was Red Heart SS.  Both looked terrible compared to the last time I made this pattern.  The Red Heart is a recent purchase.

Pulled an old Caron Green as it was the only Pounder I could grab quickly and sure enough the pattern works up fine with the same hook, looks like the last time I made this dress.

I know the last time I made this it had to be Red Heart because it was left over yarn from a previous project that was Red Heart.

Just an odd issue.

Edited by Bailey4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

It's interesting that we were discussing thickness of yarns.  I was making one of Darski's patterns yesterday using two yellow yarns.  One I suspected was Big Twist which can be lighter the other was Red Heart SS.  Both looked terrible compared to the last time I made this pattern.  The Red Heart is a recent purchase.

Pulled an old Caron Green as it was the only Pounder I could grab quickly and sure enough the pattern works up fine with the same hook, looks like the last time I made this dress.

I know the last time I made this it had to be Red Heart because it was left over yarn from a previous project that was Red Heart.

Just an odd issue.

I have noticed differences in same color of RHSS but purchased years apart

Posted (edited)

So, nope. Color change is too choppy. Back to the drawing board. 
IMG_2817.thumb.jpeg.3b2791eb1a98b90c284b77fe167f3859.jpegI think that Big Twist is very thin. I’ve had trouble using it as a single strand. I don’t think I’ve noticed the change in Red Heart, but now I will be looking for it. Sigh, can we not count on the quality of anything? 

Edited by babypoohsmom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, babypoohsmom said:

So, nope. Color change is too choppy. Back to the drawing board. 
IMG_2817.thumb.jpeg.3b2791eb1a98b90c284b77fe167f3859.jpegI think that Big Twist is very thin. I’ve had trouble using it as a single strand. I don’t think I’ve noticed the change in Red Heart, but now I will be looking for it. Sigh, can we not count on the quality of anything? 

I have learned to loathe multicolored yarn.  

Ok, I like this one. Made during a hockey game. Capitals lost to the Bruins despite a 4 minute power play in overtime. 🙄

IMG_2819.thumb.jpeg.8e0d117551249182cb31f19fb05d5c9f.jpeg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, babypoohsmom said:

Ok, I like this one. Made during a hockey game. Capitals lost to the Bruins despite a 4 minute power play in overtime. 🙄

IMG_2819.thumb.jpeg.8e0d117551249182cb31f19fb05d5c9f.jpeg

I like also!

This was one of Darski's that I had missed and rediscovered last year when putting together a list of her patterns.

For some reason I had trouble getting worsted weight yarn that was thick enough this year.  The first two colors I tried looked terrible.  I'm thinking I might end up with a mix of weights if this problem continues because I do love the look of the dress.

My Life Rivulets

When possible I do try to rescue and repurpose failed projects for one of the other dolls.  This was going to be a Chelsea adaptation of Stacie's winter outfit but oddly it still fit Stacie.  I decided not to finish it as a winter outfit and went with a Spring theme.

Stacie Winter Becomes Spring