Boxing Day 2024 - share any charity!

babypoohsmom

Wow, 2024? I wish I knew how long this CAL has been going, but I have been hanging around here since the late 1990’s.

What do we do here ? We share any charity works; crochet, knit, sewing, you get the idea. Why Boxing Day? Boxing Day (not generally observed in the US) is a day of charity in most of Europe and Canada. The origins have so many back stories, but is generally accepted as the day to give to the less fortunate through your local church or a day to give service workers (maids, butlers, kitchen staff, footmen etc - think Dickens or Downton Abbey) a day off. The box, well that can be either a collection box at a church or a box filled with food and gifts for the staff. 

We have been a small but amazing group for many years but new friends are so welcome. You will be surprised at the amount of good works you see here! You might even be inspired. I know I was! Please post your charity accomplishments or cheer others on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babypoohsmom said:

Hi Cindy, I’m not great at instructions, but I tried to make notes on this photo that might help. Obviously I’m not great at photo editing either! IMG_2762.thumb.jpeg.40a960fcb6031f2a959d0a737d3d6379.jpeg

Your instructions and email messages are great. I sent you an email of my start and will post it here too. Thanks so much for all your help getting me started.

LoveyBearstart.thumb.JPG.8f787fbbcacfdb609bc8f8645f4f892a.JPG

LoveyCenter2.thumb.JPG.c7445fe9a7770deae043de0d95524c6e.JPG

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yes Cindy, that looks exactly right. I apologize for my shoddy explanation but I see you got it! Yay! 
Love the teddy bear too.

Edited by babypoohsmom

I have crocheted myself into a corner. I took apart a scarf I started 5 years ago. Wound the balls while watching TV and decided not to take the time to spin cakes. Now I am out of yellow. What remains is in the ball. I pretty much have no choice other than cutting the yellow and then separate the ball into two pieces. If it was in a cake I could pull one strand from the inside and one from the outside. This is what I get for being a bit lazy. IMG_2763.thumb.jpeg.dc578fed5eb9ca06c03084ba894f40a0.jpeg

This was one of my favorite pattern finds from last year.  Works up quickly and easily and fits the 16 inch baby dolls and the Rag doll. The Parfait was part of a yarn splurge at Joann's during their big post Christmas yarn sale.  One of the few times I've been in a yarn store in ages.

16 Inch Baby Doll Summer Dress

• Like 2

Just finished up my center hole lovey with babypoohsmom's help. I just love this pattern idea and how you can use a store bought stuffie for the animal. I have crocheted loveys before but always struggle with the animal. This lovey will be going to my local hospital to use either in the nursery or for a young child in the hospital.

BearLovey1-2024.thumb.JPG.cf5dd970698038769ad9e54f151dfb19.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

This was one of my favorite pattern finds from last year.  Works up quickly and easily and fits the 16 inch baby dolls and the Rag doll. The Parfait was part of a yarn splurge at Joann's during their big post Christmas yarn sale.  One of the few times I've been in a yarn store in ages.

16 Inch Baby Doll Summer Dress

Cute summer outfit and I love her shoes!

It depends on the items

For the baby dolls

I have

1 8" Lots to Love

1 Lil Cutesies

1 10" Lots to Love to Love

1 Lots to Love 14"

2 JC 16 Inch

All the baby dolls get snuggle sacks based on size

The 14 and 16 inch dolls get bibs

The 16 inch also get wipes and 2 diapers each

The three small dolls get Moses baskets.  I've started buying the baskets for the larger dolls they just got to be too hard to make.

In the non baby dolls:

Barbie, Ken, Skipper, Stacey, and Chelsea

all get sleeping bags based on size

1 Our Generation Girl

1 Our Generation Boy

1 Rag Doll

2 My Life Dolls

1 Glitter Girl Doll

All Get sleeping bags based on size

As far as clothes I make them until the year runs out.  I'm trying to get better about balancing so one doll doesn't get all the clothes while others leave with next to nothing. 

I do buy stuff I don't make like the diaper bags and the feeding kits for the 3 larger dolls.  Dollar tree has had some fun accessories for the Barbie family of dolls.  I actually found bathtubs with soap and a ducky for the 2 smallest baby dolls there as well.  I hadn't ever found anything there other than fashion doll stuff.  The tubs were a surprise.

• Like 2

With help from people here we always add more dolls, more clothes, and I've only made a handful of blankets over the past few years because the ones sent to me are amazing.  We even have lovies going out for the younger crowd. 

I know I’m a little behind but, Cindy, your lovie turned out great.

And Bailey, you always seem to get the year started off with checking off those boxes for the details. I got a card from Aztec Wishes. And yeah, I’d say it’s pretty impressive for a freshman to spearhead the project. Maybe she had a friend or sibling who did it before? Either way, good for her. 

• Like 1

Aw, maybe you could put a flower over that color jog in the front?  But honestly, your average child is going to be so excited to have a doll and cute dresses….it will not matter at all. It’s bright and cheerful. 

Lil Cutesies Dress, Hat, and Shoes

This is my week for its not quite right but your average preschool child isn't going to care.  The skirt changes patterns after the first skirt row and I have pulled it out almost every time I've made this outfit.  This time I was done with the skirt and finished it off before I realized my mistake.  It wasn't the full wide skirt but it still looked like a cute outfit so its headed to the donation bag.

• Like 1

I’ve been digging into my stash and found this big skein of Michael’s store brand yarn. I made three hats. Each are two strands held together. First with black, then grey, and finally white.  I think I’m going to try it together with red yarn (if I can find some). It takes me about one football game to make a hat, so maybe one or two tomorrow. IMG_2767.thumb.jpeg.53a9e1a120090822d60a6905be90dc45.jpeg

• Like 1

I also made this hat with 3 strands. One was a bit of leftover Homespun, then some very old baby yarn, and a thin, but textured yarn (not sure what brand it is or anything) it turned out a bit large, but that’s ok. If someone has thick hair, it will be perfect. I usually try them on because my head size is kind of an adult average. IMG_2768.thumb.jpeg.58b83142f7a9d25668e7d63812ebd119.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom
  • Like 1