Prayer Shawl

bgs

Starting to get settled in to our new home at a senior community.  Prayer shawl ministry meets across the street from me.  Just finished this one.  They want rectangular 24 by 60 inches.  This used up some old Red Heart Wintuk in Pebble with a little I Love This Yarn in Greybeard.  Stitch pattern is Jamie from this baby set.  https://m.lionbrand.com/item/313435353231

This pattern works really well to adapt it to work from center out and if you do it that way there is no need to add a border.  

20200121_092234.thumb.jpg.f48716d9a68f7ff4c7a50b2c7c304b83.jpg

Edited by bgs
  • Like 5

• 9 months later...

That is an absolutely lovely shawl.  Also, I am not clear on the idea of a "prayer" shawl.  Could you please explain what they are?  I thought you could pray in any kind of a shawl.  Is this something you wear on your head?

12 minutes ago, Horsy said:

That is an absolutely lovely shawl.  Also, I am not clear on the idea of a "prayer" shawl.  Could you please explain what they are?  I thought you could pray in any kind of a shawl.  Is this something you wear on your head?

As I understand it, and as I have made them, the idea is to pray for the recipient as you work on the shawl. Then the shawl is a tangible representation of the prayers said.

They are not representing any particular denomination or belief, they are not tools for worship. They are meant to be comforting.

Edited by ratdog

I was part of a prayer shawl ministry for a while.  The goal is to make shawls for those in need of prayer, support, encouragement, etc.  In our group the shawls were prayed over before being distributed.  There are many different traditions for making them.  They are often given to people who are old, getting treatment for illnesses, or even positive things like setting out for new destinations.  A church group made one for all the girls graduating so they'd know the church was always praying for them and would always be with them. 

Sometimes it is just a means of comfort and not really related to prayer but the patterns have become designated as prayer shawls so they often get called that as people look for patterns to make comfort shawls for people going through treatments, who are grieving after losing someone, etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Horsy said:

ratdog and Bailey4 gave very good explanations.  The senior community chaplains hand them out.

• Like 1

I always thought people put their "Prayer Shawl" over their shoulders only when they are praying.  That is like a "ritual" that shawl is not used at any other time just for praying. I could be wrong.

When I was growing up in Poland I do not remember hearing anything about those shawls. I know my grandmother would love that kind a shawl, she was praying a lot. I think about her very often. My Mom was sending me to my grandparents farm every summer.  I lowed her beautiful gardens, so many beautiful flowers..:).

Krys