Yay! Ragrug's finally done!

Cuddlefish

It nearly broke my fingers, I have rough spots and hard skin on both hands, if there's such a thing as 'crocheter's lung', I'm certain I have it now, the dust it's produced in my livingroom is knee high, and it's taken up a couple of weeks that I would rather have spent doing interesting experiments and stuff for my self. But it's for a friend, so it's worth it. It feels really good to be done with it. :yay

I know it's just a ragrug, but it's the biggest one I've ever done, and with all the trouble it's been, I still want to show it off. ;)

rug39ix.jpg

rug25lz.jpg

rug17du.jpg

Hey you have every right to be proud of that.:yay:clap:yay They are hard work. I did a round one once that was 6 ft in diameter and that was one of the hardest jobs I ever did. :eek So Be very proud of your accomplishment. :hook

It was a 5.5 mm hook, and it weighs about 5 kilos.

You can buy pre-cut? :eek I don't think we have that, I don't know it, anyway. I cut and ripped it all myself, hence the dust and the crocheter's lungs. :)

Wow, that's such a cool idea. But I really don't think we have it, I've never come across it.

But I'm used to ripping fabric myself, and I also like to use old clothes that way. It's fun to know that in that rug, there's a Nepalese dress I bought at a festival, a t-shirt I never wore because it had a butt-ugly print, some of my grandmum's old curtains, some of my old favourite pants and so on. It makes the rug more personal, and it makes me feel all environmentally correct not throwing old clothes away. :)

Ok, a few questions.....

1. How do you rip up old jeans to do something like this? Is there a specific way or do you just rip em?

2. Where can I get a pattern for round rag rugs? Or any for that matter?I have NO carpet in my house and we cant afford an area rug so maby this would work.

3.can you use different materials for the same rug? If I have a blue million kids clothes, (4 kids) that dont fit them anymore, can I use all of them togeather?

4. Do they have to be ripped the same width?

Thats all I think:think

I like it ...I like it! Looks great and you be proud of any project big or small, every project is worth it!:hook I know that feeling....if you check out my 63 square afghan you'll see what I mean. I am proud of it !:clap

http://360.yahoo.com/irikel2

Yeah, that's a cute afghan. Very nice!

Ok, a few questions.....

1. How do you rip up old jeans to do something like this? Is there a specific way or do you just rip em?

2. Where can I get a pattern for round rag rugs? Or any for that matter?I have NO carpet in my house and we cant afford an area rug so maby this would work.

3.can you use different materials for the same rug? If I have a blue million kids clothes, (4 kids) that dont fit them anymore, can I use all of them togeather?

4. Do they have to be ripped the same width?

Thats all I think:think

Actually, the jeans and that kind of tough material I cut with scissors, there's no way it can be ripped. Cutting takes longer, but it makes it possible to use more different kinds of fabric.

If you want to make a round one, you can just use a pattern for a round potholder, or any round, flat item, and then just upgrade the hook according to the size of your fabricstrips. It takes a bit of experimenting, but it's not too tricky.

I always use different materials because I like the rugged look that produces, and it's never caused me any trouble afterwards. I think the trick is that most of the fabric has already been washed several times before, so it's all shrunk as much as it's going to. That would also be the case with your kids' clothes.

The width of each strip depends on the sort of fabric; if it has much elasticity it has to be a bit wide, is it thick it should be a slim strip, is it maybe getting fragile from wear and washing that should also be a wider strip, and so on. You just have to judge that as you go along. Most strips I make are between 1-2 cms, depending on the kind and quality of the fabric.

Have fun trying it out! :)

:hook Nice job. I just finished a table runner and it took what seemed like forever so I can imagine that rug took quite a bit of time! And, I can totally relate to the crocheter's lung!!!:lol My eyes run, I sneeze, I choke and everything around is covered in dust! I cut my fabric strips but I still get a ton of dust!

Cheers! :clap

Thanks. :D

I had to remove dust almost every day (SO not in my habit ;) ), and everytime the dustcloth would have a big, lightblue pile-up of dust on it.

I think my boyfriend was as relieved to see it done as I was. :lol

It only took some three weeks, although it felt a lot longer. :lol

I made it for a friend of mine, who has a blue and green kitchen. She's very particular about the style in her home, so I was really pleased that she asked me to make her one. She's going to pay something to a fundraiser I'm helping with, in return. I love when things can work out like that. I'm really looking forward to giving it to her.

That rug is wonderful. I made a round one and donated it to be used in the craft cottage at the local historical village where i volunteer. It looks really authentic. I enjoyed making it but they get very heavy and when you wash them you can barely lift them. So i found i had to use a childs plastic swimming pool in the backyard to wash it in and two people to lift it over the fence to dry!:eek How heavy is yours? The most work i found was cutting and ripping the material the crocheting didn't take long. Although i did'nt sew my strips together i cut a slit in each end and joined them that way as i was'nt worried about threads and rough edges showing on mine. I enjoyed doing it but won't make another unless i really want one. I had a lot of requests to make them for people who don't understand the work involved. So i told them if they cut all the strips and joined them i would crochet it. No prizes for guessing no one wanted one then. lol:lol Yours is lovely enjoy!:hug:hook:cheer

Oh wow! That is amazing! I had never thought of doing that! I have a TON of old clothes back in the US that would be perfect for this....they have been sitting in boxes for almost 3 years...don't think that I would miss them if I reclaimed them into a rug!

Congratulations on a wonderful looking rug!

:clap:hug:cheer

It's the perfect way to get rid of old stuff, especially the kind you're a little bit attached to, and don't want to throw away.

It already weighs about 5 kilos, so it'll be impossible to log around when it's wet. But I'm pretty sure it'll still fit in her washing machine, so it should be alright. Anyway, she's the one who wanted it to be almost three meters long, not me. :P

Thanks for the nice comments. :hug

Beeuutifulll!!!!!!

I can only imagine how much your hands must still be in the "crochet pose":hook

Did you sew each peice of material before you crocheted with it! :sew If you didn't how did you keep the frayed ends from sticking up when the rug is done?

I have always loved those rugs because it brings back memories of going to meme's.

Archived