Red Scarf Project for Valentines Day packages

Sondra

i love to make scarves!! i'm just running out of victims, i mean friends, to give them to. this will be a fun outlet for my scarfiness. count me in.:hook

SCARFINESS!!!! perfect word!!! I'm checking my yarn stash to see what colors to make.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the information :) I just got a ton of wool-ease on sale...hehe and have been wondering what to do with it all. This would be perfect :)

• 2 weeks later...

Corresponded with the contact person last night via email, they are really behind with the number of scarfs they need. I've got six in a box ready to go, but started another one today. I've posted this on every group I'm in to try to get some additional help connected to my 3 blogs msn, myspace, and yahoo 360. Will be sending out a mass email before the nights over to some folks that knit or crochet that I'm hoping will help.

PLEASE do the same folks. Make what you can and spread the word. They're not even half way there....really need help.

Thanks Sondra for the org. post. This is a project I'm really wanting to help with.

i've got 5 ready to mail when i go to town friday. and i knew there was a reason michael's and big lots had interesting funky yarns really cheap. i got 4 skeins of 7.00 yarn for 2.09 last week at michael's. and today, big lots had assorted yarns for 1.99. i got 3 of those. now i know why. i'll set aside the lapghan i'm making for awhile. it's not due till march. I'M SCARFIN' NOW!!!:hook

i've got 5 ready to mail when i go to town friday. and i knew there was a reason michael's and big lots had interesting funky yarns really cheap. i got 4 skeins of 7.00 yarn for 2.09 last week at michael's. and today, big lots had assorted yarns for 1.99. i got 3 of those. now i know why. i'll set aside the lapghan i'm making for awhile. it's not due till march. I'M SCARFIN' NOW!!!:hook

Dazy, those are some fantastic yarn prices. Cool, you've got 5 and will do be doing more. I've never thought to look for yarn at Big Lots, I must check that out and maybe I can swing over to Michaels too for some good after sales.

Getting a box ready now, took a break from scafin....but now back I go:hook

I've got 3 ready to go I just haven't sent them yet. I bet there are others out there waiting to send their scarves too.

I bet they get more than they can handle at the last minute. I will go ahead and send the 3 I have ready. If I can do more I will send them later.

I have a bunch of scarves just sitting in my closet that are former crochet class samples that I have been trying to figure out a use for! Perfect!

They're all sorts... none red... but it sounds like that's not required, so off they'll go! :D

I made McCrabbies un-named Scarf for this project. I just finished it and am going to pack it up and mail it off tomorrow. Thanks for the info for this cause. I was glad to be a part of it.

~ DAWN

Thanks for joining in, whats McCrabbies un-named scarf? Got my box all ready and was shipping it today, when I decided there was room in there for one more. So, the one on the needle designated for someone else...well it's going into the box tomorrow. The someone else can wait a wee while I figured.

Keep em comin folks.:clap

I am SOOOOOO glad I found this. Something must've lead me to click on the "Crochet for Charity" heading.. and then the Red Scarf Project being just at the top??? WOW.

I have a 6ft long red scarf I made for my collegian daughter, that she didn't like. Also several other scarves that I made just for fun..

I also have hooded scarves and scarves with matching hats and a scarf with matching handwarmers. I wonder if they would also like those?

This is wonderful.. somewhere to get rid of all the things I've been making just to keep myself busy. :) Isn't it wonderful how Providence leads us to the right place at the right time?

I am SOOOOOO glad I found this. Something must've lead me to click on the "Crochet for Charity" heading.. and then the Red Scarf Project being just at the top??? WOW.

I have a 6ft long red scarf I made for my collegian daughter, that she didn't like. Also several other scarves that I made just for fun..

I also have hooded scarves and scarves with matching hats and a scarf with matching handwarmers. I wonder if they would also like those?

This is wonderful.. somewhere to get rid of all the things I've been making just to keep myself busy. :) Isn't it wonderful how Providence leads us to the right place at the right time?

---------

We are lead sometimes aren't we!

Can't imagine they'd turn them down; think if it were me I'd go ahead and send them; though if you're uncomfortable doing that you could send her an email. She answered mine in the same day.

Here's what they replied to me this morning:

Lisa- Thanks for your interest in the Red Scarf Project. We need scarves that are unisex, attractive to either male or female so I don’t know if the hooded scarves would work. They can be any size or color as long as they are unisex and new. Hats are great but I think students might not know what to do with handwarmers. Yes, we have moved offices amidst this initiative and sorry for any confusion. I am attaching an updated flyer and the correct address is below. Scarves can also be dropped off at any Einstein Bros. Bagels nationwide. Thank you for your support and please pass the word on about the Project as we need many more donations. All the best, Annalisa

Here's what they replied to me this morning:

Lisa- Thanks for your interest in the Red Scarf Project. We need scarves that are unisex, attractive to either male or female so I don’t know if the hooded scarves would work. They can be any size or color as long as they are unisex and new. Hats are great but I think students might not know what to do with handwarmers. Yes, we have moved offices amidst this initiative and sorry for any confusion. I am attaching an updated flyer and the correct address is below. Scarves can also be dropped off at any Einstein Bros. Bagels nationwide. Thank you for your support and please pass the word on about the Project as we need many more donations. All the best, Annalisa

Good you made contact, she's super about quick replies. Sounds like they do still need lots.

The comment about students not knowing what to do with handwarmers is kinda strange to me. 90% of the college students I know.. love them (I work on a college campus and have college age kids). But no matter.. I'll still send them scarves.. just save the hooded ones and the ones with matching handwarmers for something else.. it will all work out. :)

Lisaizme,

I think it must be the people who responded to you that do not know what to do with handwarmers. I would think every college student has seen them. :)

I'm sending my scarves off today. They were made before I read the part about needing to be appropriate for males and females. Oh well, I hope they will use them.

Lisaizme,

I think it must be the people who responded to you that do not know what to do with handwarmers. I would think every college student has seen them. :)

I'm sending my scarves off today. They were made before I read the part about needing to be appropriate for males and females. Oh well, I hope they will use them.

I took it to be either male or female, Mine are definately one or the other. I agree about the hand warmers. Probably depends where you live whether or not you see them.

:wgrinI've got four (4) scarves packed and ready to ship out on Monday. I missed the boat going to the POB today because it's so darn cold here in Ohio! If I can find more time to do more before the deadline I'll do so.

Thanks you guys for mentioning this! I feel all warm and fuzzy inside! :wangel

p.s. We're spreading the word on www.knittersreview.com and their forum as well. Hopefully those guys and gals will chip in also!:manyheart

I posted regarding this project on the CrochetPartners mailing list (with the kind permission of the list moderators) yesterday. Today I sent the link to this discussion.. Hopefully we'll get some more crocheters.

I'm considering posting over at LiveJournal, but since the Crochet community went bellyup, not sure which LJ crochet version to post in. Since LiveJournal allows postings from communities to show in your home journal, cross posting isn't a good idea. Just don't know which one to get started in.

I asked my two guys (hubby & 16 y/o son) if they thought this was something they would wear if they were scarf wearers. They both said it was sufficiently manly.. even with all the holes in it (which don't show well in this photo). :lol

Crabby Cabbie's Scarf in Green for the Red Scarf Project.

DSC00157.jpg

Pattern is here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19076

I didn't do repeats for rows 4 & 5 or rows 10 & 11 because I was using Bernat Chunky Softee. (found it on clearance at WM for 1.00 a skein) I started with a chain of 260 and an I hook, it took almost 2 whole skeins.

I posted regarding this project on the CrochetPartners mailing list (with the kind permission of the list moderators) yesterday. Today I sent the link to this discussion.. Hopefully we'll get some more crocheters.

I'm considering posting over at LiveJournal, but since the Crochet community went bellyup, not sure which LJ crochet version to post in. Since LiveJournal allows postings from communities to show in your home journal, cross posting isn't a good idea. Just don't know which one to get started in.

***Super post it everywhere, when I got the last counting from the coordinator it looked pretty bleak...to reach the number they need, they need more participation. Ii posted a note on my msn blog, my myspace blog, and my yahoo 360 blog. I'm in about a dozen groups through yahoo and myspace and so posted there as well. Would suggest posting to your live journal even if the crochet group went belly up. Someone reading your post might know someone who knits or crochets and it might still be helpful.

I'm also sending out several mass emails to people in my address book. 2500 scarfs is a lot of scarfs and the last count was less than 500. So...every little bit helps.

Someone here or in one of my blogs asked if this was an ongoing project in that they might not have time to do for this year but could start making them for next year, I don't know and have sent that question onto the coodinator. Will let you all know when I hear back from her.

Will have mine ready to mail next Mon. How did they come up with such a large goal of 2,500? Charlene

from what I read on the site, that must be the number of kids they have in college?

Archived