Red Scarf Project for Valentines Day packages

Sondra

I'm new to this forum and would like to share a project that I learned about at the Knit-Out & Crochet event I attended in Washington, DC last weekend.

It's call ... The Red Scarf Project ... and it's being conducted by... The Orphan Foundation of America.

They are asking those of us that know how to knit or crochet to open our hearts to young college students who are in foster care by making scarfs that will be included in a Valentines Day care package. Red doesn't have to be the only color yarn we use; we can make them in unisex colors as well. There are men in foster care who will also be receiving a package and they may not want a red scarf, but a blue, black, or gray one instead.

I love this idea since crocheted items are getting more and more popular and who better to appreciate this than a young adult.

If you are interested.... The deadline is January 20, 2006 and you can mail your scaves to the following:

Orphan Foundation of America

Red Scarf Project

12020 D North Shore Drive

Reston, VA 20190

For more information, visit their web site: www.orphan.org or write to the coordinator, Annalisa Assaadi, aja@orphan.org.

Thanks so much,

Sondra

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wrote to the coordinator today and this is what I got back from her

We would be grateful if you could pass this need on as applicable as getting 2500 will be a challenge especially right before the holidays. We are really excited about this Project and thank you for your assistance.

Send care and encouragement to America’s college bound foster youth. OFA needs 2,500 hand made knitted or crocheted scarves to put in our Valentines Care Packages. Your handiwork will truly be the personal touch in these packages and bring students the support they need to move forward and graduate to a brighter future.

Unisex colors black, blue, green or yellow are welcome too. Please attach securely to each scarf a small tag with your name, city, and group affiliation that the student will receive. Send scarves with your name, address, group affiliation if any, and email address enclosed to:

Orphan Foundation of America

Red Scarf Project

12020 D North Shore Drive

Reston, VA 20190

Deadline: January, 20, 2006

Contact: Annalisa Assaadi, National Events Coordinator, aja@orphan.org, 703 821 8669

For More Info on OFA’s Care Package Program go to

www.orphan.org

I started my first scarf last night. I don't have any red yarn at the moment so it's a varigated blue/purple, but I am going to crochet a little red thread heart and attach it before sending.:heart

Thanks for posting this! :yay

I want to thank everyone who has read this message and plans on making a scarf. I'm on my third but, after the holidays, I should be able to make several more. I hope this organization gets all the scarves that they need.

Again ... Thank you ... Thank you ... Thank you ....

For opening your hearts,

Caring for these young people,

and devoting your precious time to help them.

Sondra

• 2 weeks later...

I completed two red scarves and just wrapped them up. I am going to the post office tomorrow to mail them. I am hoping to get a few more done, but its really a busy time now. I just wanted to make sure that I did get a chance to donate something. :cheer:clap

• 2 weeks later...

How wonderful... yes.... they will take those colors. This organization said they don't need to have only red scarves, since men will also be receiving a scarf in their Valentine package. The colors you have sound very nice for women.

i love to make scarves!! i'm just running out of victims, i mean friends, to give them to. this will be a fun outlet for my scarfiness. count me in.:hook

me too on the 'victims' part -- you're too funny! :lol

oh, this is near and dear to my heart! if my mom didn't send me care packages every once in awhile when i was away in undergrad, i don't know how i would've made it through. i'll work up at least two scarves for this project. wonderful idea! :clap

Looks like another good project, when I was reading things on the website looks like they have a new address, someone else check to make sure I'm reading correctly, but it looks like anything after Dec 15th should be mailed to :

21351 Gentry Drive

Unit 130

Sterline, VA 20166

Correct?

What a great idea!! I was sort of in limbo today...didn't want to drive into the city for yarns.. nothing I am working on...I have enough skeins of this and that to do a scarf ....I'm like everyone else... running out of folks who haven't gotten one from me:)....

Archived