Skein A Week

antara

I had this thought. I've been wanting to make myself an afghan in Homespun for a long time now, but that's a lot of money. I can afford a skein of Homespun every week, though. I know it's the same amount of money in the end, but dishing out $4.50 or so a week seems a lot less painful than paying whatever it would cost all at once.

Does anybody else have any major projects they can't afford to splurge on all at once (they don't have to be blankets, they don't have to be Homespun)? I know this is a busy time of year, :juggle so you could jump in whenever. What do you say? Anybody wanna join me?

Here's the beautiful button Anne (Lavelle26) made for us.

thSkein-a-week-button.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so with ya......I have a major project in mind for a special friend way way up north but the money is holding me back....I checked and found a no dye lot yarn I can use, this way no worries of the dye lot running out. I have two projects I MUST finish and will jump on this big time!

Great Idea!:clap

I've been collecting yarn for a stole I plan on making after Christmas. It's in a variety of textures, using novely yarns in browns. I finally have enough, buying the yarn of choice when it came on sale. That was just the only way I could do it. I can't wait to have time to make it!!!! Gotta get those gifts finished first!

I had this thought. I've been wanting to make myself an afghan in Homespun for a long time now, but that's a lot of money. I can afford a skein of Homespun every week, though. I know it's the same amount of money in the end, but dishing out $4.50 or so a week seems a lot less painful than paying whatever it would cost all at once.

Does anybody else have any major projects they can't afford to splurge on all at once (they don't have to be blankets, they don't have to be Homespun)? I know this is a busy time of year, :juggle so you could jump in whenever. What do you say? Anybody wanna join me?

I feel your pain.

I want to make that cathedral window afghan, but even the cheapest yarn I can deal with (I really don't like most acrylic... reminds me of the itchy sweaters mom used to make me) would mean $75.

I have the $ to spend, thank goodness, but do I *really* want to spend that much on an afghan I don't know if I'll adore when I'm done??

I can't get myself to do it.

But, I think that's a great idea what you want to do. Everyone deserves a treat, and $4.50 a week certainly isn't bad.

I spend twice that when I get a margarita at the local bar.

Wow, you guys responded fast! :eek I'm glad you liked my idea. BluesForCP, I know exactly what you mean. There are all these beautiful patterns out there, but why dish out so much money when you're not sure you'll absolutely love it in the end?

CraftyCritter and Dogymom, I'm glad you'll be joining! :cheer I can't wait to see your finished projects!

Just a word of caution and a suggestion. I believe Homespun is dye-lotted, so you may end up with a large variation in color, also if you plan to buy over __ weeks, then you run the risk of the color being discontinued or just hard to find. I would suggest that you take the $4.50 each week and put it in an envelope or jar, designated for your afghan. I find it easier to save if I put it out of the way, where it isn't easily available if I run short at the grocery store, or for the kids etc. Then when you have the money saved for the entire ghan, maybe Homespun will even be on sale and you can get a special treat for yourself as well. This is generally what I will do, when I want to get something that is a little out of my price range all at once.

Thanks for the warning. :) My afghan is actually going to be striped, probably in random colors, although I haven't decided yet. That's really good advice, though, I'm sure it'll help someone else out!

I sort of do this. I want to make a sweater with dk weight tweeds. I will stick to the same brand maybe, but I want it to be an ugly sweater. As in so ugly it's brilliant. I get a skein or two of the good stuff at the LYS each time I go and will do random though patterned stripes once I think I have enough.

Same with me......you are not alone. I can hold back money for important, big things...for a while. But something small like 20 bucks of yarn...I can rationalize using the mulah cuz, ya know the yarn probably will go on sale at a later date so a few bucks is no biggy. I always assume I can come up with it later and it not effect me.....:think Ben Franklin would be so disappointed, a penny saved is a penny earned..yea right, did he ever crave a hot chai tea?:blush

I try to buy extra yarn each payday to add to the stash. Of course it still gets used pretty fast. Another thing I do is this....I have a seperate savings account from our normal pay the bills type account. It is not connected in any way (overdraft or anything like that) It is purely for e-bay and other craft items. I put $20.00 or so in every two weeks and when I need it, I have to get in the car, drive to the bank, and withdraw it. My basic laziness of going to the bank keeps me from spending it carelessly. It also keeps me in a budget and I can see where all that little extra money goes.

Hi all,

I'm thinking about doing this because I just LOVE :manyheart the Homespun Yarn! If you have a Wal-mart close by, especially the Supercenters why not put the yarn on layaway?? They usually have a great selection here. Not sure about other places. I'm also going to check how many layaways I can have!! heehee

A couple of weeks ago, I made the mistake of waiting to get the last skein for a poncho and had to dig around at JoAnns where I originally bought the yarn and, thank goodness, found a slightly undone skein of homespun in the correct dye lot in the clearance bin! WHEW!! :yay

Ya'll take Care,

Sincerely

Zulubelle from Texas

I'm the biggest thrifter in the world (I think) and this is something that I really have to do most of the time... I agree that if you need a lot of yarn and you're using a yarn that's dyelotted that you need to be careful but it depends on what you're making...

I made an afghan that took about 20 skeins to finish and I just bought one a week. Even though several of the skeins ended up being from different dye lots, it turned out great. Some patterns are very forgiving of variations in the colors whereas others are not...

Heck, when I made that FCEC Tote Bag with Landscapes yarn ($6.99 a skein) there was NO way I could afford it all at once so once I week I went to Michaels or wherever with my 40% off coupon in hand to buy another skein. It took me quite awhile to finish it, but even though I spent the same amount I would have if bought all at once, it didn't hurt the pocketbook nearly as much and my hubby had (still doesn't know) just how much money I spent on that thing!!!

Believe it or not, I do put money away for things. I've been putting $50 out of each paycheck, plus the entire amount of every fourth paycheck, away because I want to do some travelling this summer. Between that, buying gas, and trying to save some money for when I'm on my own, among other things, dishing out however much money for a Homespun afghan just isn't gonna work for me. It's exactly like Beth said. This way, you don't feel it so bad.

That's a great buy! Unfortunately, the nearest Michael's is some 20 miles away. :( If I was headed that way anyway, I would totally go to Michael's. I hope someone else can get there and find themselves something, though!

• 2 weeks later...

okay, tell me if i'm nuts or if this would work. my son works in the same strip mall as a michaels and i thought about giving him my 40% off coupon every week and telling him to just buy any yarn he chooses (and believe me, he wouldn't remember from one week to the next what he bought). all kinds and colors. then making an afghan by continuing with whatever he brings home each week. that way i would have a crazy quilt sort of afghan. it would be a good way to use up all the partial balls i've got laying around,too.

i'm in! i've already purchased (probably) most of my yarn.... but i'm still picking up here and there when i have extra cash

i'm doing and absolutely-fabulous throw copy

i've doing a purple/brown color scheme. i'll take a snap of the yarns i've got so far the next time i'm over at the other house (yes, there is still TONS of stuff over there)

i don't know when i'll start it... most likely after Chrsitmas

Thank goodness! I thought this thread had died, lol.

Sounds like a good idea to me, Dazy!

Rebecca, those are beautiful throws. At $185 a kit, I can see why you're buying your yarn when you have the extra cash. :eek

I've been thinking it over and I'm in. I want to make a shrug for a friend at work and I want to make it with the Pooch yarn it calls for. It's only 6 skeins (I think), but that stuff is expensive, so I think I'll go with a skein every pay check (which is 2 weeks). That way I should have the yarn in time for the first of the year.

Archived