Skein A Week

antara

May I join in on this CAL? I am new here and don't know how this works but I am wanting to make myself a shawl out of Caron Bliss at $3.71 a skein. Not too expensive but not cheap. I would be able to get a skein every paycheck. (twice a month) By January or February, I should have enough for my shawl. (now I need a pattern.)

So, tell mw how to join in this CAL and what the requirements are and I will join in!!:hook

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I"m sure most of you are probably aware of this, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

http://www.smileysyarns.com have great prices. You just have to buy $30 at once, plus $8 shipping. But if some of you live close together, split an order! I'm getting some bernat galaxy from Smileys for $3 a skein instead of $5! And splitting the order with a friend. Win Win.

Amber

This is what I do. It's much cheaper.

I go to:

http://www.auntmarysyarns.com/Aunt_Marys_Mill_Ends.htm

and buy the Mill ends at $5.99 a pound. I buy a few pounds of it and mix it with other yarn. The afghans turn out very pretty that way. Plus it's lots cheaper.

Linda :hook

"okay, tell me if i'm nuts or if this would work. my son works in the same strip mall as a michaels and i thought about giving him my 40% off coupon every week and telling him to just buy any yarn he chooses (and believe me, he wouldn't remember from one week to the next what he bought). all kinds and colors. then making an afghan by continuing with whatever he brings home each week. that way i would have a crazy quilt sort of afghan. it would be a good way to use up all the partial balls i've got laying around,too."

Hey, that sounds like a neat idea!

Please post pictures of progress if you do!

Amber

Okay. Its not near as good as the others but here is my first attempt. If you don't like it, just let me know and I will try another one.

th_Skein-a-week-button.jpg

There are so many beautiful things I want to make, but I'm afraid to invest the $$ and have it turn out terrible! That's why I'm sticking to one skein scarves right now. I've done two in sc's, now I'm going to try dc', the tc's and so on. Then I get the practice on different stitches without investing a lot, so when I finally do decide to make that afghan or sweater or stole, it won't be horrible. :blush

I think your button is great, Anne! It's pretty. I'm adding it to the first post.

I know what you mean, Marcilee. When I first started crocheting, big projects struck fear in me. Some still do, lol.

I just got my second skein in the mail today. I ordered it off Herrschners.com. This week is payday so I will be able to get another skien this week. I have yet to decide what exactly I am making with my skeins but I love the yarn I chose and have to make something from it. :c9

So, i still consider myself new to crochet, i only know two stitches that i've taught myself, but i decided i would try to do the "Waterfall" afghan. Its on the Lionbrand skein of Homespun, so i have multiple copies of the directions (someplace), and i even think its on their website. I used the Homespun in Colonial..

Well, two years later, and four dye lots later, my afghan is half finished. i tried to do they "buy two skeins a week" a paycheck thing....Only if your really keen to color would you see the change (the afghan gets darker) and i'm tired of working on it. its a heavy yarn, and i feel like i have to set the thing down everytime i finish a row. Silly me, i wanted to make the afghan bigger than the directions, so i have a half finished full size futon afghan.

Perhaps an alternative is not to try to buy the same color, each time you buy a new skein buy a differnet color as long as they all go together, doing broad stripes would work. I've been burned too many times to count when yarn even with the same dye lot doesn't match, I would never take the risk of buying it a little here and a little there.

• 2 weeks later...

Im still buying yarns....I have a couple of skein a week gaols to meet...one is the colourwaves jacket in the interweave mag. Ummm name may be wrong ...I gotta check..but still buying, just to update.:hook

I've gotten a few skeins into my afghan, but final exams and the holidays have been taking up a good deal of my time lately. I should be able to get more into it after Christmas.

I think I will be able to pick up speed on purchasing after the Holiday season as well.... Well at least I HOPE I will...darn other projects putting themselves on my list!:blush

I have found Homespun very inconsistent in color and thickness. The inside of the skein is thinner and paler. Also, the small thread wrapped around the yarn sometimes has knots. Also, there are blob of what seems to be glue or something similiar.

I am finishing the lap blanket in Homespun which I am giving to an aunt.

Unfortunately, the thickness of the blanket is obviously uneven due to the poor quality of the yarn.

I won't be buying Homespun anymore.

I have found Homespun very in consistent in color and thickness. The inside of the skein is thinner and paler. Also, the small thread wrapped around the yarn sometimes has knots. Also, there are blob of what seems to be glue or something similiar.

I am finishing the lap blanket in Homespun which I am giving to an aunt.

Unfortunately, the thickness of the blanket is obviously uneven due to the poor quality of the yarn.

I won't be buying Homespun anymore.

I love the feel of homespun and finds it works up fast, both good qualities....but in all the years I've crocheted have never had so much problem with the skein not pulling out correctly as Homespun does, or glue from the label on the yarn, or knots cause they've tied the skein rather than discarding it. I find that very disappointing in a yarn thats not cheap but any means. I've actually emailed them about it multiple times and never even received the courtesy of a reply. Lady I work with who's also crocheted for years also complains about the difficulty of these factors with regard to Homespun, so you are not alone. Though since I like the yarn, as does she; we've continue to put up with it when thats the type of yarn we want. Maybe if enough of us complained via email, phone etc, maybe they'd do something about it.???

The inconsistant color though really makes it essential to purchase all at one time.

This Homespun doesn't exist here in Argentina :think but I get the point what you are talking about. When I don't have enough money for all the skeins needed, I just tell the lady at the yarn shop and she takes the skeins and puts them in a box with a label with my name. I return to the shop everytime I have the money and take one or two skeins. This way all the skeins are the same and exact colour. :manyheart

This Homespun doesn't exist here in Argentina :think but I get the point what you are talking about. When I don't have enough money for all the skeins needed, I just tell the lady at the yarn shop and she takes the skeins and puts them in a box with a label with my name. I return to the shop everytime I have the money and take one or two skeins. This way all the skeins are the same and exact colour. :manyheart

Wow...thats really sweet of her to do that. Nice service.:clap

I've been debating about this one for awhile and if it's not too late, I'd like to join as well... There are 2 projects in particular that will cost a little bit but are things I really want to do.

I have nearly talked myself into making a tablecloth this year. I'm still new to thread but can get around. I found a pattern in Crochet! Magazine from I think 2003 with a gorgeous Red and White motif... It calls for quite a bit of thread and will end up being extremely pricey, but buying a skein a week, I could do it...

Archived