Skein A Week

antara

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just joined this forum today and was reading through some posts and saw this thread and I have already started a project like this. I bought some homespun on Ebay and started a blanket for my dad for Christmas, well I know now that I don't have enough and am not going to finish it by christmas so I figured I could buy a skein or 2 a week until I get it done.

Tater

Well I really really want to make the red and white tablecloth in the Crochet! Magazine (I think it's one from like Feb 2003 or something like that)... It's just gorgeous and even though it's a huge undertaking it would just be stunning when finished...

Ok, that's it, I've decided, I'm going for it... Will start buying the thread this week...

I had this thought. I've been wanting to make myself an afghan in Homespun for a long time now, but that's a lot of money. I can afford a skein of Homespun every week, though. I know it's the same amount of money in the end, but dishing out $4.50 or so a week seems a lot less painful than paying whatever it would cost all at once.

Does anybody else have any major projects they can't afford to splurge on all at once (they don't have to be blankets, they don't have to be Homespun)? I know this is a busy time of year, :juggle so you could jump in whenever. What do you say? Anybody wanna join me?

Here's the beautiful button Anne (Lavelle26) made for us.

thSkein-a-week-button.jpg

I know what you mean. Yarn is getting so expensive, but if you don't buy what you need, you can't find another skein no matter how hard you look, so I bite the bullet and spend the money. Really don't want to, and really can't afford it. What else can you do. Darlene

I would really like to join the skein a week, so I can work toward finishing my other CALs I am joining. I hope that is okay? I am hoping to finish the 63 Squares CAL by this December (lol, I have SO much going on) and there is an up and coming CAL I would also like to use this CAL toward. Do we just check in once a week, or what? I like having other crocheters to crochet along with. It's so nice to know others do what you do!:clap

Meg

Well y'all, I'm starting mine tonight! I finally have all my yarn to make the "Purple Pizzaz Wrap" from the Crochet! November magazine. But I guess mine could be called the Brown Pizzaz Wrap!:P I purchased all browns in different textures, in 5 or 6 bulky yarns. The pattern doesn't say if I'm supposed to change hook sizes when I use the different weight yarns. Guess I'll have to play with that. I'm so glad Christmas projects are over!!!!:clap I've been waiting months to make this.

i was going to do a crazy quilt sort of afghan from lots of different kinds of yarn. but, my daughter *needs* a shrug for her birthday (feb. 9) and she wants it made of the "soft fuzzy stuff". i'm thinking chenille. and if that's the case, it's gonna be kinda pricey. and not much time to get it together. so, i guess i'll be slowing down on some of my other things. i may try to hurry up and finish the Grandmother's FlowerGarden baby blanket. i've got 8 more pink and 9 more variagated hexes to do and its about half put together.

now, where's my michael's 40% off coupon?:think i'm gonna need that.

Just a word of caution and a suggestion. I believe Homespun is dye-lotted, so you may end up with a large variation in color, also if you plan to buy over __ weeks, then you run the risk of the color being discontinued or just hard to find. I would suggest that you take the $4.50 each week and put it in an envelope or jar, designated for your afghan. I find it easier to save if I put it out of the way, where it isn't easily available if I run short at the grocery store, or for the kids etc. Then when you have the money saved for the entire ghan, maybe Homespun will even be on sale and you can get a special treat for yourself as well. This is generally what I will do, when I want to get something that is a little out of my price range all at once.

I really like your idea of saving for a project.:cheer

Bummer!!!! :sighI started my Purple Pizzaz shawl, 1/4 way through, and decided to sorta try it on. Waaayyy toooo loonngg!!!! Dragging the floor long! The shawl had 2 versions, long and short. It just never occurred to me that "long" would be so long.:oops

So, now I've got to frog that thing.:2frog

AARRGGG!!!!!

Oh Debi, how awful! :ohdear I hate it when things like that happen to me. I hope it isn't too hard to frog and that the next attempt goes better!

Thanks Ginny! I had hoped to wear it to church tomorrow, but will just have to wait 'till next week.:P

This is my first post but I joined so I could join this crochet along (amongst other benefits as well) Anyway, I had been lurking for sometime and had read this thread awhile ago. I have all of my yarn -- It is a combination of Red heart light and lofty and homespun. I bought the light and lofty for another project but that didn't turn out, then I found this great homespun Afghan pattern and so will be using that. I am going to get started on my tonight.

This is my first Crochet a-long -- If there are any things I should know please tell me.

Yay, I am excited :yay

you're already doing it. :yay just sharing with everybody about your progress and getting to know everybody is what it's all about. share pictures if you can. and have fun. we cheer each other along.:cheer glad to have you onboard.

Here is a picture of the colors that I chose: It is for my youngest daughter, she is 2.5 I think the colors are perfect and girly, although after I got that first block done I kind of want to make an afghan for me with the cream, purle and green ;)Yarn.jpg

Those are beautiful colors! I'm glad we're picking up more people for this. :)

I thought we might after the Christmas craziness was over! I think we were all scrambling like mad at the end of the year to finish our projects.

i've got 3 skeins so far that i'm alternating to make a striped lapghan. it's blue with speckles, off white, and green variagated. i'll post pics when it starts to look like something.:hook

Archived