A question for all you crocheters who have kids

Do you still have enough time to crochet, or do you find that you're so busy with your kid(s) that you don't get to crochet much?

I ask this because my hubby and I are finally getting somewhat serious about having a baby ('bout time - I'm 31)...but I honestly worry about being so busy and exhausted because of having a baby that I won't have nearly enough time to crochet - LOL! I know it sounds so selfish, but I thought I could bring it up with you ladies because you know what it means to have a crochet obsession...lol.

I'd love to hear any comments you have on the topic. Thanks! :manyheart

It is tough sometimes to make time for yourself...whether it is crocheting or reading or whatever when you have a child/children to see to. Children take up a lot of your time (I know, I have 4 of my own and three step children). The joy that having kids brings you is kind of like making a huge crochet project. It can be fun, challenging, boring, frustrating, and in the end a beautiful experience. It is a huge committment and responsibility...having said that, I wouldn't change a thing.

Now to the question you asked....you find the time, but most importantly you make the time you have with your children worthwhile, they aren't something you can frog.

:manyheart

I learned to crochet last year, and at the time my kids ranged in age from 2 to 7. Now they're 3 to 8. It's a challenge, but I manage to find time. I think it will probably be hardest to find them time that first 6 months to a year, but once they start getting bigger and more independent, you can kinda work it in. I like to crochet after they go to bed (dh watches tv, I keep him company and crochet). I crochet sometimes while they play (and sometimes I play with them); when they're doing their homework I'll sometimes sit and crochet and help them as needed.

I guess what I'm trying to say - we as humans tend to find time for the things that truly matter to us. You may find (and I expect you will) that you don't "need" to crochet as much after having a baby - priorities tend to change a bit, and you may also find that you manage to finagle time to crochet, too. My house is never likely to be immaculate, but my kids (and I) are all happy and healthy.

Editing to say that I LOVE Andrea's comments. Beautifully said.

I have a three year old and a three month old. I crochet while the older one is eating and during nap time and after bed time (although the baby's been changing her schedule and we don't get to bed until midnight now so most nights I go to sleep when she does). I leave my crocheting in an accessible place so when the baby's playing the walker and the older one is reading or playing by herself, I get a few stitches in.

I'm going to be honest, I put my crochting on the back burner for years. My kids are 3 years apart, so until the "baby" got to be about 5 or 6 I don't think I hardly ever touched a hook. Like the above poster said the kids aren't something you can start over. I have always worked full time and stayed involved with whatever activity they are in. I think when I started getting back into it was when the youngest started t-ball and since I wasn't chasing her around the ballpark any more, I could actually sit in the bleachers and work on something for myself.

Really, what you are asking is if you can keep your current life-style and have the baby, too.

When I was pregnant attending prenatal classes, they showed us a video of a couple heading out of their home on their way to the hospital to have the baby.

They turned and took one last look at the apartment. The commentary was that it would never be the same again.

I thought of that many times. Once you make a decision to have a baby nothing will ever be the same again. That single decision alters everything in your and your partner's life.

Will you have time to crochet? Probably. As much as right now? Doubt it. At least not initially.

But crochet will be there for you when you feel the need. Babies grow, their needs never stay the same for long. Crochet will come in handy while you are waiting for him/her to finish piano class, soccer practice.

You'll be able to make toys, cute clothing, blankets, costumes for halloween.

One day you'll be able to teach him/her crochet. And a long - long time from now there will be grandchildren to crochet for.

So, I don't think your question is about crochet. I think you anticipate a huge change to your life. There will be a huge change - but definitely worth it.

(this is coming from a mom of two: 26 and 19)

I didn't even try it with newborns or babies! LOL. I have been off and on with crochet for a long time. Obviously, I'm now "on". My youngest is in preschool for a couple hours and my oldest is in 2nd grade (wow, time flies). So I finally have time to spend on myself. Any free moment I have that hook in my hands, but I think I waited a good amount of time, because they "needed" me right there when they were younger. They are at the ages now where they just want me in the room and available.

If crochet is your passion, you will find a way to work it into your life when priorities get rearranged. But as Faith said, when you have a baby, crochet may not seem that important to you at that time. Thankfully, it's something that can keep until you are ready to pick it up again.

Do you still have enough time to crochet, or do you find that you're so busy with your kid(s) that you don't get to crochet much?

I totally have enough time. She's not awake 24/7. My daughter is 2 1/2 and she still takes naps and her bedtime is 8pm. I crochet when she's sleeping. Sometimes when she's playing because alone playtime is as important as playing with them. At least in my opinion.

At least not initially.

I disagree. Newborns usually sleep a lot. At least both mine did. I crocheted or read then. ;)

Bottom line; I think it's different for all of us and what else we have going on or want going on in our lives. :)

I have 4 kids, 11, 9, 2, 1 and expecting my next on Feb 26, 2006. I always manage to find time. You always have naptimes and quiet times and then there is always time after they got to bed.

I actually look forward to my crocheting after everyone else is asleep. It really helps me to wind down after playing wife and mommy all day. When Im ready for bed, I stop. Its really helped with those lying there unable to sleep moments.

You will find time, it might not be as much as you'd like at first, but where there's a will, there's a way.

I have three children, ages 7, 5 and 4. I am usually busy with school activites, girl scouts, baseball, art classes, and with my husband being military..I'm a pretty active spouse (spouses groups, etc). But I still find time for crafts! I use the evenings..after the kids are in the bed for "mom" time. Or when they are doing homework, I put crayons out for my four year old. Sometimes while they are outside, i can craft. And my husband is very supportive of my craft addiction...he takes the kids for ice cream, or to the park if I need a break.

There is always time for crafting...might not be 8 hours a day..but still time.

Donna

I think a lot depends... On if you plan to go back to work (assuming you are working now) after you have the baby. :scrachin

I was blessed to be able to have been a Forest Service Lookout when I was pregnant with the first and second ones and subsequently, was not working "out of the home" so to speak and had quite a bit of time to crochet. After the lookout years, I worked part time jobs or jobs that I could take the kids to and still found a lot of time to crochet. Heck, my kids had afgahns, crocheted bears, balls, sweaters, you name it. I also had time to make all of my gifts.

As time moved along and the kids got older, crochet accompanied me to practices and meets, backstage at theatre performances, doctors appointments, and generally anywhere I went where I'd have otherwise idle hands. :hook

Then, along came number 3, 7 years later, and I went to work full time. That is when crochet really took a back seat and it's been a challenge to find time ever since. I still bring it with me everywhere - work, appointments, etc. My kids are now out of the house for the most part, but I think working out of the home full time, coupled with the nasty commute, has made it harder to find the time to crochet; more than any sweet little baby ever did!

Babies change your life in ways you cannot begin to imagine... they sweep into your life like a hurricane dressed in an angel's clothing. Nothing in their path will ever be the same again. Isn't THAT a wonderful thing? :angel

Go for it!

Mare

I crocheted before and after my kids were born 21 and 19 years ago. The best thing about crochet is that you can drop it at a moment's notice when necessary and then pick it right back up and continue when you have time. Even if you can only do a few stitches here and there, when they are napping or playing or being attened to by your partner; in the long run you will have made good progress on your project. Keep the project and a copy of the directions in a tote or ziplock baggie, and you're ready to go at a moment's notice. Sitting in the ER with my daughters friend last weekend ( 18, uti, needed antibioticcs) I was able to whip out two scarves for my 'grandsons'.

So, bottom line is, parenthood changes everything, but you will and MUST have time for yourself, for whatever hobbies are important to you.

I have three children aged 2, (almost) 7 and (almost) 9 (who has Aspergers). I find I have plenty of time to crochet but since I didnt really do much until after the kids were born I can't compare it to the time I had before. I spend most evenings crocheting and I fit in time during the day when the kids don't need me- if they're all playing together I can sit and crochet whilst keeping my eye on them. DH is also really helpful and will take them to the park for an hour so I can have a bit of time to myself.

But your life does change dramatically when you have kids- yes sometimes it seems like its such hard work that you wonder how you cope- but it is all worth it. They give you so much:manyheart

I have 3 kids too, one is almost 5, a 3 year old and a 7 month old. Before my youngest was born, I had a lot of time to crochet, and I started crocheting again after I had kids. Now with a youngin under the age of 1, I seem that I don't have the time that I used to. My oldest goes to Kindergarten, and she goes to soccer once a week, and the middle one goes to gymnastics once a week. I have been working on a shawl now for over a month that would normally take a few days to crochet. I'm about 3/4 done, yay!

I crochet for stress relief and to do something for myself or others. During the summer I don't crochet as much because it is so warm, and most of the yarns I like are thick and warm, lol! Everyone needs time to themselves, whether it be crocheting or whatever it is that people like to do. :)

I have two girls (both in school) but I always find time to do my crafting. When my oldest was a baby I still found time to sew. It wasn't as often as I wanted, but I still got to do it. Then when I had my second, I think I sort of took a break from crafting. Once they were a bit older, I got right back into sewing and crocheting. I enjoyed making them dresses and toys and all sorts of things.

Now I crochet or sew while they are in school ( I crochet in the carpool lane) and I crochet in the evenings. What I love is that now both my girls crochet and we can do it together. I really enjoy that.

Regardless of how many kids you have, you should definitely make time to do the things you love and enjoy.

One more thing:

I really don't think this is a selfish question. It is a mature question. Obviously you recognize the fact that a baby would mean a major change in your life.

It is a decision that you are not taking lightly - no one should.

One more thing:

I really don't think this is a selfish question. It is a mature question. Obviously you recognize the fact that a baby would mean a major change in your life.

It is a decision that you are not taking lightly - no one should.

Thank you - that was very nice of you to say. :hug

And thank you to all of you who responded in this thread. Your responses are ALL very well thought-out and I appreciate your honest thoughts. You guys are so wonderful!:manyheart

I have to say, when my children were little, I didn't crochet. I picked it up 8 or 9 years ago, and the youngest would have been 9 or 10. :eek I may soon be on the bandwagon with you, though. I just got my paperwork today for an expedited foster care license for my daughter's 2 godchildren. She lives in Texas so is unable to step up, but they have been like grandchildren to me since the 3 year old was 7 days old. I am a little nervous/excited right now. I just don't know if I'm doing the right thing! This post probably doesn't belong here, I wasn't planning on rambling. I just don't really have anyone to talk to about this. Thanks.

You'll find time to crochet. You NEED to find time to crochet, sew, read, whatever you love to do that keeps you happy. Honestly, if you don't have time (assuming nothing is unusual - health issues, single motherhood, etc.) there's something terribly wrong that needs fixing. Yes, even when the baby is tiny, even when he's a toddler, even when he's four.

Believe me, I'm totally attachment-parenting, carried my babies, breast fed, cloth diapered, etc. The first year or so was pretty busy, but I managed to crochet a beautiful baby blanket for my 2nd child (2.5 years after the first) while also working full-time.

But if time is tight for a few years, so what? They fly by. And when your kids are older - like mine, 7 and 9 - crocheting will be a wonderful way to occupy yourself while waiting for them at sports practices, dance classes, etc. If you need something to do in the evenings on the couch with hubby, crocheting is more "friendly" than reading because you can have a conversation while doing it.

And besides, just think of this - you can teach your kids to crochet! How wonderful, to pass it along to the next generation!

Even if they don't want to learn to crochet, you're still teaching them that it's rewarding to make something useful instead of buying everything, the value of patience and persistence, and opening them to another art medium.

I have a lot of time to myself after the kids go to bed, but mine are both at the age where they go to bed early and sleep through the night. With one child, you might find time while nursing. Also, you will learn to find time, like when you are waiting at doctor's appointments, in the car (obviously not driving,) etc. I think it is kind of silly to put off having a kid because of not having the time to crochet.

A child can bring you joy and happiness that you cannot imagine. This is definately a decision that shouldn't have anything to do with crochet. However, you will have a lot of inspiration and a little model, once you do have a child.

Having a baby will most certainly eat into your free time. Those little bundles change the entire world! :) I learnt to crochet after my daughter was born...she would have been a few months old. Crochet is really nice, as it's easy to set it aside and pick it up later on. I find that harder to do with knitting, which is why I don't knit much anymore, I guess.

Basically, what it will come down to is how much free time you can give/get for yourself. My hubby watches my daughter for a bit in the evenings so that I get some time to myself. Whether I use it to crochet or not is up to me. Usually I have a project that I am "dying" to finish and I'll fit in 2 mins of stitches whenever I get the chance.

My daughter is 2 now and even though she's very busy, and lucky to nap an hour each day, I still find time to get projects done. I don't do stuff that has a dead line much anymore...and I start early on gift projects. And really, most of the time the interuptions are awesome...nothing like a little one running over just to hug you! Ah....I'm pregnant, emotional and rambling! LOL Sorry!

I think it is kind of silly to put off having a kid because of not having the time to crochet.

A child can bring you joy and happiness that you cannot imagine. This is definately a decision that shouldn't have anything to do with crochet.

You're entitled to think it's kind of silly, but it's an issue of crucial importance to some people - not just because of crochet, but referencing crocheting to represent everything else a parent might have to change. Life WILL change, and yes, there will be things you'll have to give up or at least do less.

If, when I was 27 and had no kids, someone had told me that if I had a baby I'd have to give up my job, my cute little car, having dinner in nice restaurants every week, or any number of the umptyzillion things I've given up or had to start doing differently, I might have said NO THANKS. But after the kids were born, making those changes just didn't bother me so much. I didn't have to give up the job, the car or the restaurant meals, it just worked out that way. As a result, I have my own successful home business, a minivan I love, and find I actually enjoy cooking nice meals.

Things change. That often means they get even better. :manyheart

I ask this because my hubby and I are finally getting somewhat serious about having a baby ('bout time - I'm 31)...but I honestly worry about being so busy and exhausted because of having a baby that I won't have nearly enough time to crochet - LOL! I know it sounds so selfish, but I thought I could bring it up with you ladies because you know what it means to have a crochet obsession...lol.

I'd love to hear any comments you have on the topic. Thanks! :manyheart

Well, I find it is easier to find time to crochet rather than knit. I knit first and then learned to crochet. But knitting involves two needles and you really have to finish up a row before you can set your project down. I find it is easier to set aside the crocheting and if you lose a stitch or two, it usually doesn't mean disaster for your project.

Is it the process or product of crocheting that satisfies you most? If it is the process, then choose small projects like dishcloths or granny squares. Donate them if you like. If it is the product or the project, you may have to set your goals to be more realistic.

Babies are only babies for a short time. As they get older, they go to school, ballet and soccer practice, etc., and you can bring it along with you.

:hook

It's true that you won't have the same amount of time as you did before, but you'll still have time. Like someone else said, if you really want to do it, you'll find time. Also, keep it portable, even if it's just a skein of yarn and hooks in a gallon ziplock bag kept in the diaper bag. Take it everywhere with you and when you have a few minutes you can take it out.

Also, talk to your hubby ahead of time about him spending one-on-one time with the baby on a regular basis so that you can get time to yourself. You need that whether you crochet or not! Set your expectations up with him now.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I have to say, when my children were little, I didn't crochet. I picked it up 8 or 9 years ago, and the youngest would have been 9 or 10. :eek I may soon be on the bandwagon with you, though. I just got my paperwork today for an expedited foster care license for my daughter's 2 godchildren. She lives in Texas so is unable to step up, but they have been like grandchildren to me since the 3 year old was 7 days old. I am a little nervous/excited right now. I just don't know if I'm doing the right thing! This post probably doesn't belong here, I wasn't planning on rambling. I just don't really have anyone to talk to about this. Thanks.

:hug Where better to go then here? This is a very warm, supportive group. I think you are {{nuts}} awesome for taking on kids at this point. Who else and who better? it's not their fault they are in a position to need someone to care for them. You'll find time to crochet, you just may not find time to sleep! :sleep:yawn:night:morcoffee

Hugs, Mare

Archived