Boxing Day 2016 CAL (any charity items!)

babypoohsmom

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw Darski, sorry you're not feeling great. Hopefully you can get back on track since you know what it might be.

I have been having a huge problem with my circadian rhythm. I can't sleep at night and I'm exhausted all day. I have probably slept 8 hours total in the last 3 days. My body can't keep up. So frustratung. Anyway, love your little Valentine!!

Bailey, you are on fire. Is that like one outfit a day?? Wow.

And Owl, it seems like needs and ideas usually fall together. But you might see ideas pop up around here. I'm always inspired by what I see here!

Hey Owl, yup feel free to show off anything you are doing for charity. Crochet, sew, whatever. You can even show off a pile of toiletries that are off to a shelter. We celebrate it all. Sometimes we stray off topic, but we usually don't stray too far!!

And....this is my fourth time trying to get my 75 chains to start Darski's cowl. I have a twist again. Gaaaah.

I'm going to have to check you tube to see if anyone has a tip for keeping it straight. And is is just me or are those base dc's hard to get in to the chain? Well, I'm going to keep going and see how it works out...

post-13802-0-90015400-1455164133_thumb.jpeg

Hey Owl, yup feel free to show off anything you are doing for charity. Crochet, sew, whatever. You can even show off a pile of toiletries that are off to a shelter. We celebrate it all. Sometimes we stray off topic, but we usually don't stray too far!!

And....this is my fourth time trying to get my 75 chains to start Darski's cowl. I have a twist again. Gaaaah.

I'm going to have to check you tube to see if anyone has a tip for keeping it straight. And is is just me or are those base dc's hard to get in to the chain? Well, I'm going to keep going and see how it works out...

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

You could work 75 Fdc and join when done (or ch 77, dc in 3rd ch from hook and across and join then as well).  you can use your starting tail to join the bottom of the sts.   Fdc actually gives you a better edge for cowls as it has more give.

I have been working on this shawl for ages now and finally finished it.  I had a pattern image to start with but just sort of did what I did in the end. I'm not good with boring crochet though.

post-4896-0-41425500-1455186140_thumb.jpgpost-4896-0-12405800-1455186143_thumb.jpg

this will go to a senior's home and I'm hoping the plainness will work out for a gentleman's use.

You could work 75 Fdc and join when done (or ch 77, dc in 3rd ch from hook and across and join then as well).  you can use your starting tail to join the bottom of the sts.   Fdc actually gives you a better edge for cowls as it has more give.

I agree--using fdc is SO much easier than a regular chain!  I know it is hard to learn the foundation stitches, but SO-O-O-O-O worth it!  I worked with foundation chains for a couple of weeks before it finally "clicked"---now I never use anything else if I don't have to!!  Well worth the effort!

Cute Valentine dress.

Question do post only stuff we're giving away to charity here. Not sure how it works.

Thanks

I post my charity stuff here and the stuff I'm making for family and gifts in the Encouragement for getting gifts Made.  I find support in both folders to be wonderful!!!

Bailey, you are on fire. Is that like one outfit a day?? Wow.

Thankfully this has been a productive winter.  My hooks and brain are feeling cooperative and things seem to be getting done.  I finished another dress last night.  DH takes the pictures in batches for me so it will probably be up sometime next week. I'm working on something I'm hoping will be a tribute/in memory outfit for my Aunt using a couple of different patterns to finish it off.  We'll see what happens.  I think I got the first part done last night.

Darski, you may think the crocheting part was boring, but I don't think there is anything boring about the finished project. It's a beautiful color as well. Somebody is going to love it.

And Bailey, your post made me laugh. I love that you rescued your project.

I really, really need to try foundation DC again. I think the Crochet Geek on you tube had a good tutorial. I tried it when I was just learning crochet and could never see what I was supposed to see and wound up with kind of a knot because I could not figure out where the hook was supposed to go.

The kittens I was supposed to get were apparently picked up by another group so I guess I get to get more sewing and crocheting done this weekend. Kitten season is coming early to Phoenix this year because of the warm weather. It's been in the 80's all week and the forecast is the same for next week.

I really, really need to try foundation DC again. I think the Crochet Geek on you tube had a good tutorial. I tried it when I was just learning crochet and could never see what I was supposed to see and wound up with kind of a knot because I could not figure out where the hook was supposed to go.

If you check my post the "Fdc" is a link to Maggie Weldon's video on the subject.  I chose hers as the best available from the list.  Mikey's was totally off. :eek

I have been working on this shawl for ages now and finally finished it.  I had a pattern image to start with but just sort of did what I did in the end. I'm not good with boring crochet though.

attachicon.gif2016-01.jpgattachicon.gif2016-02.jpg

this will go to a senior's home and I'm hoping the plainness will work out for a gentleman's use.

I missed this before when looking through on my tablet.  The color is beautiful.  I understand what you mean about the repetitive nature of making these types of projects.  I tend to have to break them up with other projects to complete them.

I saw this free pattern loved the idea of color contrasts, but after three tries gave up the skirt.  I realized afterwards I have another pattern I've never finished with the same style skirt.  I always end up with a huge ballooning monster instead of the neat pattern described.  I will have to conquer it at some point.  However, for this, I went with a simple DC contrasting skirt.  The colors are actually much prettier than the picture.

American Girl Dress

I missed this before when looking through on my tablet.  The color is beautiful.  I understand what you mean about the repetitive nature of making these types of projects.  I tend to have to break them up with other projects to complete them.

that is what I did with this one.  I had/have about 3 other projects on the go at the same time.

For those of you who are interested the Red Cross through Red Heart is offering  crochet/knit versions of a Red Cross nurse 18" Doll Pattern (historical) for a donation of $10.  I'm including link.  When you go from Red Heart site to Red Cross site nothing there tells you about the pattern it just gives you information on how to make a donation.  Following the link however, I did receive PDF copies of both patterns after a couple of weeks.  Do check your spam folder as mine ended up in my spam folder.

The link brings you to the Red Heart Red Cross page and you can see the picture of the pattern there.  You don't have to choose knit or crochet they send you both.  It is available until March 31.  They say they are going to be doing something like this every three months.

Red Heart Red Cross 18" Doll Nurse Pattern

For those of you who are interested the Red Cross through Red Heart is offering  crochet/knit versions of a Red Cross nurse 18" Doll Pattern (historical) for a donation of $10.  I'm including link.  When you go from Red Heart site to Red Cross site nothing there tells you about the pattern it just gives you information on how to make a donation.  Following the link however, I did receive PDF copies of both patterns after a couple of weeks.  Do check your spam folder as mine ended up in my spam folder.

The link brings you to the Red Heart Red Cross page and you can see the picture of the pattern there.  You don't have to choose knit or crochet they send you both.  It is available until March 31.  They say they are going to be doing something like this every three months.

Red Heart Red Cross 18" Doll Nurse Pattern

I wouldn't give the Red Cross the sweat off my nose.  I have been debating whether I should boycott Redheart while they are working with those people.  Red Cross exists for the purpose of paying their top people millions of dollars.  When Katrina happened they refused to accept food from a Christian church even though the people donating the food were victims too.  they would rather have people starve than nod to Christ.  given they were formed as a Christian organization they get no consideration from me.

If you want a nurse pattern I posted one here years ago.

I've had mixed experiences with the Red Cross some good, some not.  As with all charities I leave it to each person to choose.  The Salvation Army used to be one of my regular places to donate to and then a family member had a terrible experience with them and I will never send them another dime.  They seem quite shocked that we've stopped sending money.  So, honestly I can understand the reaction.  Each person has to decide.

Darski, thanks...I will check out the link you provided. I never have good luck with Mikey's videos for some reason. I think the way he holds his hook messes with me.

Funny how everyone has an odd experience with a charity. My mom did some fundraising for March of Dimes and then was invited to a posh thank you dinner. She was put off by that. That is why she was so involved with making quilts for babies and the elderly. She delivered the quilts in person and got to see them in use.

At work they cram the United Way down our throats. So one year I called every homeless shelter on the list to see if any of them had accommodations or a partnership with an animal shelter so people in transition could keep their pet. Not one. There is a lot of peer pressure at work to fill out the direct deposit form to have money taken directly from our paychecks. I throw the form away every year. I am very picky about where my donations, cash or otherwise end up. It's amazing that some places can't answer simple questions about how their money is used.

So I think it says something that we all seem to know a lot about where the items we make end up.

Darski, I got my 75 DC done but I crochet tightly and it's too small. It barely goes over my head. So I'm going to frog it and try the video and add some stitches. I think it's a 5 stitch repeat so maybe 90 stitches.

Keep your fingers crossed (figuratively of course or you couldn't crochet)

Darski, I got my 75 DC done but I crochet tightly and it's too small. It barely goes over my head. So I'm going to frog it and try the video and add some stitches. I think it's a 5 stitch repeat so maybe 90 stitches.

Keep your fingers crossed (figuratively of course or you couldn't crochet)

yes it is a simple multiple of 5.  I meant to put that in the pattern.  My brain has been taking a lot of personal days lately :eek

I'll put in my two cents worth on the Red Cross

the only way I could volunteer at the Naval hospital was through the Red Cross

they were all about giving money,I had no money to give,just my time,I gave them twice a week for 7 yrs

around 9/11,there was a big hoopla here,and it was recommended if you wanted your donation to go to a specific project,you had to indicate that or it went into the general fund

My intention was not to advocate for any specific charity or debate about it. I happen to collect doll patterns, especially historical ones. Ultimately for a donation of $10 I got a crochet pattern for me and a knit one for my Mom. At the going rate of what people charge for patterns it was not unreasonable.

I posted here in case others were interested. If you aren't I'm not offended or upset. However, I'd have been disappointed had I been away from the Red Heart site and missed out on the chance to acquire the pattern. If Lion Brand or someone else that I don't visit frequently offers doll patterns for a donation I'd like to have the opportunity to think about it. My answer might be no. However, I would be grateful to know about the opportunity.

Hey Bailey, I don't think you offended anyone. I think that you probably can't throw a stone without finding someone who has had a bad experience with a charity, especially given the nature of our CAL. You would surely find the same thing when it comes to a department store chain, grocery store, etc.

I am not sure if you all remember that I was with an animal rescue for 9 years. I fostered, volunteered at the in-store adoption centers, made beds and toys, donated my car and even had people donate in lieu of flowers for my mom's memorial service. I was "all in". Then, they were going to euthanize a 3 month old kitten I had fostered without a sideways glance. That part of the story is long, but I was broken hearted, but instead of being jaded on all rescues, I searched and did research and found a new one that seemed to be aligned with my values. If their values ever shift (or if mine do) it might be that another change will be needed. The experience made me hyper-aware. It made me pay attention.

It's nature to judge your experiences and make decisions about associating with people, charities, political parties (ugh, let's not go there), but I surely don't judge other people harshly for their choices. I am sure there are many lovely people that currently volunteer for the shelter I left. Does any of this make sense?

Archived