just want an opinion on the crocodile stitch

I usually like all stitches but for some reason, this one just doesn't thrill me. Wondering what everyone else thinks of it. I think it is more suited for handbags than hats but that could be just me.

Any thoughts?? Thanks. Inquiring mind wanted to know, LOL.

LI Roe

I really, really like the crocodile stitch.  I used it when I made a flower granny square though you wouldn't think that's what it was as it wasn't layered.  I also used it on a round robin, and it looked great.  I agree that it doesn't go on anything and everything.  I have seen it on hats, and for the most part I think they look nice; I just wouldn't personally wear it.  It's great for bird amigurumis or owl pillows too.  There are a lot of uses for it.  I suppose that like anything, it's subjective.  One person really likes it and another doesn't.  

I don't care for it for 2 reasons.

First, it's awkward to make.

Second, when each scale, or petal, or whatever your pattern calls it is finished, it isn't flat or curving slightly under like I would expect. Instead, it curves slightly outward, which I think gives a peculiar look, especially if a lot of them are done, like on a hat full or scarf full. On the other hand, only a few, like on an owl, tends to be cute.

I agree it depends on the project.  Crochetroo has an adorable chicken teapot cozy, and there is a designer who's come out with several flower-patterned afghan squares that are awesome.  The stitch is not my style for a purse or hat, but variety makes life interesting, eh?

Here are some of the crocodile squares...OK, that baby hat is adorable too...

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#sort=best&craft=crochet&query=crocodile flower

cozy, chicken and plain version http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/scallop-tea-cosy  edit, this link shows both but is the pattern for the plain one; search her blog under 'chook' or 'chicken' for the other.

Thanks for your thoughts. I checked out the links and there are some small items that I like and would consider doing. I actually like it more as a trim than a whole piece but again, that is me.

Thanks again.

LI Roe

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't made up my mind on this one yet.  Sometimes it looks good and I think I must add it to my "list of available stitches to use" :wlol 

Other times it just leaves me with a blah feeling. :rabbit

I have practised it but I'm not committed yet :rofl

I am or was determined to make something with this stitch.  I was inspired by a triangular shawl pattern that I bought and using a fancy hairy thread yarn which was a disastor which you couldn't unaravel.   I thought right away I would master it but not with that pattern.   so tried again using other patterns and mastered the stich so I think but have not made anything with it yet.   I love those baby booties but not going to attempt that as will make something easier but not sure what yet.  have to try everything new that comes out in crochet.

• 2 weeks later...

It's one of those things that is suddenly everywhere, then the fuss dies down. Like ripple star afghans, fun fur yarn, etc., etc.

I've only used it for a tea cozy, and liked it. Also bought a pattern for croc stitch booties, but had trouble with it and must try again. They too are adorable. Oh, yeah, I did make a crocodile flower square for a sampler afghan, and it turned out very nice as well. Like the two other examples I mentioned, it's great sometimes, but you kinda get sick of seeing it everywhere.

I really like it. I too have done the tea cozy. I decided to buy the book, cause I liked the shawl. Love the baby booties too!

Would like to start on the stuff but seeding has started, and time is limited.

Archived