Where is the cheapest place to get yarn?

Walmart,Kmart,Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or an online store?

It is just so expensive, and people ask me to make things and i always tell them to buy the yarn and they balk. Just wondering if others opinions where is the cheapest place to get yarn?

For the most part, I only buy when there is a substantial sale or clearance, or have a good coupon or coupon code. Joann.com from time to time has across the board yarn sales (25 or 30% off all types) and there are always free shipping coupon codes. Joann's, Michael's and Hobby Lobby have good coupons. If you are using one of the cheaper no dye lot yarns, you don't have to get it all at once, so coupons can be used as they become available.

Walmart doesn't have much, but it's somewhat cheaper than the others large craft stores, at last here. As for the others, they seem to be about the same.

If I were asked to make something for someone, I think I might ask them to get the yarn too. Then they will understand how expensive it can be.

I've only looked at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. Joann's has yarn too. I STALK the websites every week to check what the discounts are for that week or if there are any special discounts and buy what I need when it's a good deal.

The other important thing is to make sure you look at the yardage on the skeins. Sometimes what looks like a good deal isn't as good as you think. You may have to pick up 2 skeins to get as much yarn as you would in another brand.

I think best thing to do is to check out what selection each of your local stores has and go from there. If you find that one store has the most variety in yarn that you think is cost effective, go there most often. Personally I like Michaels because it seems like I can get really good deals on their sales but that's just me and I'm pretty new at this still.

If your friends who are asking for projects aren't people you normally give gifts to, I see no reason why you should foot the bill to make them something. I find that I can make gifts cheaper than I can buy them. (It probably isn't cheaper once you factor in the time but I only care about dollars)

OH also, you can get some good yarn at garage sales! That didn't even occur to me until I joined up here. I've been scouting for a couple weeks and haven't found any yet but summer isn't over!

I buy most of my yarn online. I like to order from Herrschners http://http://www.herrschners.com/Default.aspx? Sometimes they have really great sales where you can get 10 skeins of yarn at a time for nearly nothing! They also after awesome crochet kits that come with a pattern and all the yarn needed to complete the project, although, it is mostly afghans. If you are into Amigurumi they have 16oz or plus bags of mill ends or random assortments that are fairly inexpensive. ;)

AC Moore is having a 25% off everything sale this coming weekend. I do as others, I shop around to see what is on sale and try to stock up.

And in my honest opinion, because I have had this happen many times to me as well, if someone wants you to make them something and are not willing to pay for the yarn (and also not taking into consideration the amount of dedication, time, and skill that it takes into making an item!) then you should not worry about spending your own money on them unless you choose to on your own!! If it is a gift from you to them for something like a birthday, holiday, or shower, than fine, but if you've got requests coming from every angle, they need to pay up or give up! :) Take yourself into account, you have an amazing talent that is worth a lot and should be at least given the appreciation of paying for the cost of materials

And in my honest opinion, because I have had this happen many times to me as well, if someone wants you to make them something and are not willing to pay for the yarn (and also not taking into consideration the amount of dedication, time, and skill that it takes into making an item!) then you should not worry about spending your own money on them unless you choose to on your own!! If it is a gift from you to them for something like a birthday, holiday, or shower, than fine, but if you've got requests coming from every angle, they need to pay up or give up! :) Take yourself into account, you have an amazing talent that is worth a lot and should be at least given the appreciation of paying for the cost of materials

Well said.

Big Lots and Dollar Tree have yarn, especially if you are looking for smaller amounts of different yarns.

As for people making requests, I often tell them I can teach them how to crochet for FREE or they can pay me for making the item, however I have a long waiting list for items being made on commission only.

After years of letting people manipulate me into making (and paying for the cost of) items for them, because they just HAD to have whatever I was making at that time, I would NEVER do it now. It's insulting when people essentially rope you into donating your time, energy, creativity, and talent to make something for them, that you are also expected to pay for it. Back then, I was much too embarassed to say anything about the cost. I just expected people to have the sensitivity to realize they should at least offer a token amount of money, but no one ever did. Interesting. Not one person ever offered. What's that say about selfishness?

Now, I would state a price, and say "cash" also.

I am so glad i asked this because you ladies brought up places i had never heard of, and i did know the dollar tree sold yarn BUT I FORGOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Going to have to bookmark this thread.

Some people i dont mind making things for, the ones that really chap me are cousins who ask for things for the babies THEN NEVER USE THEM. So i spent all that time and money and you are not going to use it, you just wanted a keep sake?

I want to see a raggedy loved blanket not a pristine the child cant touch it you know?

Oh I do know what you mean! I had a MIL (no longer with us) who just had to have whatever I started making for myself. She would start with "You young people are so talented. You just have SUCH good ideas." And work her way up to "Those are my colors you know" or "I've always wanted one of those."

Of course I'd give her the shawl or whatever, then never see it again. Never used, or displayed or even thrown on the bed. Nothing. I felt so used. I offered to teach her to crochet, but she wouldn't learn to do it. Uh-huh.

What bothers me just as much is that I have gladly made tons of items for my sisters and good friends, then THEIR friends want the same item. Oh and make it in this other color. And can they have it by such and such a date? Then THEIR cousins or friends or coworkers want one too. Nobody ever asks if I would mind doing it. Nobody offers money for the materials, much less my time. I finally said that is enough.

What helped was realizing that nobody can just walk into a store, see something they want, and just have it. Why were people looking at us, those who crochet, any differently? And why do they think we have all the time in the world (not to mention money) to make things for them, when they are really just imposing on friendships of friendships? Enough already.

For the most part, I do not sell my crochet, but it helps to keep a ballpark figure in your mind of current projects, then if people do kind of bother you to make something, you can give them a quote. Now, I figure if they want me to take my time, energy and focus off what I am doing in order to do for them, fine. They can look at me like they are purchasing from a store. If they say, "Oh, I can't afford it," I say "Me too."

Actually, another thing you can do to save money on yarn is to have a swap with your friends. One time, our SnB group got together and pooled all our yarn we wanted to get rid of. We all selected each other's. I managed to get a lot of nice yarn for nothing other than the price of off-loading yarn I couldn't use!

:crocheting

I could give you TONS of ideas, but all of them are Dutch and in NL so it wouldn't be much use to you, right? Also check your local yard sales, thrift shops and suchlike. Maybe you don't see the yarn you need now, but you may see some yarn that you can use for future projects.

I'd also like to comment on people who want you to do something and then not pay for it or never/use wear them. Horrible isn't it? Luckily I also have a large group of friends who has used their iPod cozies untill they broke and are now asking for new ones. See, I don't mind doing that at all!

I get my yarn at Michaels or JoAnn's. They have the biggest selection in this area. Big lots has yarn, small size, for those little scrap projects. I will buy from Herrschners or Mary Maxim when they have a sale on bulk if I need a lot. But I have to know which yarn it is because some of their yarn is thin and splits, so you have to be careful of that.

I have started having people buy the yarn for things they want made too. If I charge them it's never even close to what it costs me. If they don't like it then I don't have to make it. I have a coworker who wants an afghan because she just got her new apartment. So she keeps giving me hints, how nice it would be if she had one. How wonderful if someone would make her one. People have no idea how time consuming and costly it is to make something.

I have started having people buy the yarn for things they want made too. If I charge them it's never even close to what it costs me. If they don't like it then I don't have to make it. I have a coworker who wants an afghan because she just got her new apartment. So she keeps giving me hints, how nice it would be if she had one. How wonderful if someone would make her one. People have no idea how time consuming and costly it is to make something.

Exactly! It's the time, and talent that is not considered by some people. I like the idea of them buying the yarn, but be careful on that one. I had someone pick out the fuzziest, hardest to work with yarn, and I was stuck making the project because I had said I would. It was awful. Maybe go shopping with them and suggest a good yarn.

:manyheart

Exactly! It's the time, and talent that is not considered by some people. I like the idea of them buying the yarn, but be careful on that one. I had someone pick out the fuzziest, hardest to work with yarn, and I was stuck making the project because I had said I would. It was awful. Maybe go shopping with them and suggest a good yarn.

:manyheart

Oh, never even thought of getting stuck with a bad yarn:eek

Oh, never even thought of getting stuck with a bad yarn:eek

Oh, yeah...that happened to me when a friend's mother wanted me to make her a scarf out of Bernat Soft Boule. She provided the yarn, so I couldn't even lie and say I couldn't find it. I ended up having to buy a skein of Caron SS to use with it, to make the yarn easier to work. Vile experience!

:eek

Walmart,Kmart,Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or an online store?

It is just so expensive, and people ask me to make things and i always tell them to buy the yarn and they balk. Just wondering if others opinions where is the cheapest place to get yarn?

Unravelling hasn't been mentioned as a source of quite reasonably priced yarn. Get sweaters on sale at thrift stores and unravel them. I know one woman who gets like 1500 yards of cashmere. Her thrift shops are a bit more upscale then mine. I look for soft acrylics since me and the family can't do wool.

Why not give them requirements! If they want a baby blanket let them know that it's best for a baby (yes, you're only thinking of thém, haha) to use soft acrylic yarn and you can send them links with your fav yarns to work with 'look at all the fááááábulous colors they have' ;-) Think in possibilities, not in problems!

(Can you tell I am working on some marketing gig right now, HA!)

Mind you... I have some yarns in my stash (all gifts of people who mean well) that are hilariously looking, but I have no idea what to do with them...

Unravelling hasn't been mentioned as a source of quite reasonably priced yarn. Get sweaters on sale at thrift stores and unravel them. I know one woman who gets like 1500 yards of cashmere. Her thrift shops are a bit more upscale then mine. I look for soft acrylics since me and the family can't do wool.

I have been doing this for quite some time. I look for 100% wool sweaters because I felt a lot...I can get a sweater at my local Salvation Army for the most $5...if you go on half price day....$2-3 at the most!

• 2 weeks later...

Joann's just had a 25% off sale and I bought some yarn.

Also, I have made afghans for people and felt so used. People that don't crochet do not realize how much yarn costs, plus the time and effort we put in to a project. I think non crocheters think we can just whip something up in no time at all. :(

I started charging people the cost of the yarn, or I ask them to purchase the yarn for the project and tell them what to buy and how much to buy.

Archived