Embarrassing problem...

Plo0t

Question

Ok, I am INSANELY embarrassed about my current situation, but I really need to know if it's just me or if this has happened to other people.

Lately, I've been noticing.........bugs.....in my yarn bin. These super tiny red midget maggoty-lookin things. (scary but true story: the first time i noticed them: i was crocheting on my bed and i had a sandwich next to me...i noticed what i thought was a piece of onion that had fallen off my onion roll, so i picked it up and was about to pop it in my mouth when i realized that it was moving!)

I keep my yarn in a big huge plastic tupperware type bin with no lid. I don't see them often. I've only seen 4 of them total. 2 the first time, one live and one dead. Then I found a dead one. And then I saw a live one crawling in the bottom of the bin.

This absolutely disgusts me and makes me not wanna touch my yarn.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? :scared:embar

It might be carpet beetles in the early stages. They eat clothes/natural fibers like moths. They like living in dusty corners. I was reading online that you need to vaccuum very thoroughly to get rid of them. Also, since you said you don't have any natural fibers in your stash bin, it is unlikely they will eat anything in there, unless it is dirty. The real danger is would be having the bugs spread to your clothes :eek Just to be safe, I'd suggest popping some moth balls in your clothes. I think someone else mentioned it earlier in this thread, but the most common way I've heard of for getting rid of bugs in yarn is to freeze it.

Okay, since this thread popped up again (and I'm trying to catch up - sheesh!), I did a quick google search and came up with this informative site. It isn't the same as the ones I found before, but should still have useful info. The bugs causing the infestations are an asian form of ladybug which was originally imported by our own government as an alternative to dusting crops with poisons. But these seem to be a more aggressive form of the ladybug species, go figure, and of course it got out of hand! In the fall, you will see swarms of these critters congregating on the sunny side of buildings, and any building not well-sealed will have the bugs getting inside, frequently through vents and around not-well-sealed windows, not to mention coming in with you when you open your door. The site above gives some useful info on controlling the infestations, it is a university website.

HTH

The Lavender and/or cedar blocks should work nicely. I would avoid mothballs like the plague - even after washing, your stuff will still have that smell, it's almost impossible to get rid of completely. I dunno about the rest of you, but if we are trying to disconnect crocheting from the notion of a "little old ladies" craft, having your yarn reeking of mothballs sure ain't gonna do it! I hate that stuff!

And, regarding those "ladybug" infestations - those AREN'T ladybugs! They have become a major nuisance over a large swath of the US too. Somewhere in my huge email archives, I have links for info on these bugs and how to deal with them. We see them in the fall because they are looking for a warm place to hibernate for winter, and it's almost impossible to keep them out of your house. They will find every crack available to crawl through to get in. Care needs to be taken in their removal because when squashed, they STAIN, and they also are known to have a stinky smell. Oh, and they bite too - they are very aggressive. Ladybugs don't bite, but these critters do, so if you've ever been bitten by a "ladybug", chances are good, it's these critters. As I recall, they are a kind of Japanese beetle, and most don't have the spots on them like what we have always come to recognize as ladybugs. It was due to the ladybugs' excellent reputation for controlling garden bug pests that caused these to be imported (couldn't tell you if that was intentional or in error - but somebody should have known!). If you want to learn more, you can probably find plenty of info doing a google on "ladybug infestation". I hate to see the poor humble ladybug get the bad rap it's getting for something it's not at fault for!

We have these ladybug wannabes here in upstate NY by the droves. They bote and they hurt and they multiply like crazy, only ours do have spots. I discovered Raid spider spray will kill them,... seems like nothing else will!

Hmmm. I have a way of murdering bugs for some of my rustic wood projects. I put the wood blank in the microwave for 30 second intervals and watch it closely all the while it's in there. I'm not at all sure what that might do with wool, but would guess it would be ok as long as there are no metal fibers in the yarn. Any metal fibers and you'd very likely start a fire which would cremate the bugs but leave you with a pile of ashes. Very difficult i'm sure, to crochet a pile of ashes.

You might try a little bit of yarn that you know has some bugs, nuke it for, oh 10 seconds while watching closely, and see what happens.

I live in a very old building and the ladybugs LOVE everything - so much so that every year I have a "ladybug round up" at the house. Unfortunately - the bay leaves don't work for them - THEY EAT THEM

We have a ladybug infestation every year in one of our upstairs bedrooms. Thats the only room they show up in. They pop up by the thousands in the windows (there are 8 windows in that room). I leave them alone to do whatever it is they wanna do. They never bother the clothes or anything else. They are considered good luck and they remind me of my mom (she has passed) who used to call me her little ladybug. I know I may sound a little weird but I consider it a special honor when they show up to share their beauty with us for a little while. (They are beautiful little creatures). They've never bothered my yarn (but then again its downstairs in the craftroom)

:manyheart

most don't have the spots on them like what we have always come to recognize as ladybugs.

So some of the Japanese beetles do have spots, then? I knew there were Japanese beetles in those swarms, too, because some of the bugs didn't have spots, but the one that bit me definitely had spots so I had thought it was a ladybug. I'm glad to hear it wasn't, though. It seemed like a very un-ladybug-like thing to do! :haha

Ugh, I remember once I bought this really nice, huge box of fabric from a lady at a rummage sale for really cheap. come to find out, it was infested with little moths. I had to wash each piece, then they got into my other stashes, LOL, and I had to wash that too. Was about 4 monthes til I was rid of the icky things...the mothes didnt bother me the little larve DID. EEEWWWW. I carefully wash any fabric now, never know......

I didn't know that Goldi - about the "not-ladybug bugs" :lol

These don't bite though - hmmm. But we have them everywhere. So I'm going to have to look these little buggers up on the internet.

Thanks for the information :)

The Lavender and/or cedar blocks should work nicely. I would avoid mothballs like the plague - even after washing, your stuff will still have that smell, it's almost impossible to get rid of completely. I dunno about the rest of you, but if we are trying to disconnect crocheting from the notion of a "little old ladies" craft, having your yarn reeking of mothballs sure ain't gonna do it! I hate that stuff!

And, regarding those "ladybug" infestations - those AREN'T ladybugs! They have become a major nuisance over a large swath of the US too. Somewhere in my huge email archives, I have links for info on these bugs and how to deal with them. We see them in the fall because they are looking for a warm place to hibernate for winter, and it's almost impossible to keep them out of your house. They will find every crack available to crawl through to get in. Care needs to be taken in their removal because when squashed, they STAIN, and they also are known to have a stinky smell. Oh, and they bite too - they are very aggressive. Ladybugs don't bite, but these critters do, so if you've ever been bitten by a "ladybug", chances are good, it's these critters. As I recall, they are a kind of Japanese beetle, and most don't have the spots on them like what we have always come to recognize as ladybugs. It was due to the ladybugs' excellent reputation for controlling garden bug pests that caused these to be imported (couldn't tell you if that was intentional or in error - but somebody should have known!). If you want to learn more, you can probably find plenty of info doing a google on "ladybug infestation". I hate to see the poor humble ladybug get the bad rap it's getting for something it's not at fault for!

here in northern minnesota we not only have all sorts of bugs but this time of year the mice are trying to take over(got a house cat)and yesterday a chipmunk chewed through my wood door to get in.no kidding.ever try to catch a chipmunk on the loose lol.finally caught it in a laundry basket.my kids are still laughing.anyway to keep my yarn free of all vermin i use those space bags know.someone here told me to store my finished afghans in one.so i desided to use one for my stash of yarn.works great and saves so much room.no bugs can get in.and i slide it under my bed instead of rubber tubs stacked in the corner.

:think :think :think For a nicer smell, try some Lavender sachets in with your yarn.

Most bugs do not like Lavender.

Really!? I have a stuffed bunny rabbit that is filled with a lavendar sachet! I'll try throwing that in there as well!

Thanks!

:think :think :think For a nicer smell, try some Lavender sachets in with your yarn.

Most bugs do not like Lavender.

Otherwise, maybe Citronella oil on a cloth. Not such a nice smell but it may be better than Napthalene or Mothballs or Camphor blocks.

We do not have such extremes of insects and just love Ladybugs because they eat other things like Aphids on the Roses.

Of course, the other alternative is to crochet faster and get through your stash sooner.

I still have some yarn that I spun about 15yrs ago, from the fleece and so far have not had a problem with moths although I did find some holes in a garment stored in the same room.:hug :hug :hug

Colleen.

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody!

I'm gonna check out mothballs AND cedarblocks. There's absolutely NO room in my freezer to put any FOOD in there, let alone yarn, so I'm gonna just have to empty out the bin, clean it however I can and hope that, along with the mothballs/cedar blocks will do the trick.

Also...I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem. lol.

Stacey, I love your idea for the cedar blocks. I hadn't thought of that. That would make the yarn smell yummy and still be protected.

I am going to get some just to prevent ever having a bug problem...I can't DO bugs! Eeeewww!

Stitchinpick

I wonder if cedar blocks/balls would work as well as mothballs without the smell? I use cedar blocks when I store clothes and have never had problems (mothballs make me wheeze). I got mine at Walmart, in the aisle where they sell ironing boards and laundry bags and things like that. They were pretty cheap.

Ladybugs--ack! They swarm around here in the fall every year, and I hate it! I used to love ladybugs until I moved here and had to deal with the swarms every fall. (Well, even then I didn't mind them so much until one BIT me for no reason!)

I've never heard of that! That's grosses me out! I have so much yarn, in so many places! OMG! I feel so sorry for you! Maybe keeping a lid on it would help? Gosh, I have to go check my yarn too! I keep a bin under my bed that doesn't have a lid on it! :eek

Ha ha, my parents bought a caravan once, and when they picked it up it was full of ladybugs, in all the lace curtains and the cupboards and everywhere. I shouldn't wonder if there was a thousand. :lol

I live in a very old building and the ladybugs LOVE everything - so much so that every year I have a "ladybug round up" at the house. Unfortunately - the bay leaves don't work for them - THEY EAT THEM :(

I've resorted to moth balls in the bottom of my treasure chest that holds my stash. I just make sure everything is washed prior to my "gifting" it.

Here in South Georgia bugs are just part of life. Try putting some bay leaves in your bin....the same leaves that you find in the spice section of your grocery store. I know that keeps bugs out of flour/corn meal/etc in the pantry...it might work here also.

You know, I've seen bugs in some of the older yarn at my local yarnstore, in a display bin. I've seen bugs in old projects my mum has lying around, and I've also seen a bug or two in some of my own old yarn leftovers. I like vintage yarn, and bugs just like to live in those old things. I don't think you can avoid it completely unless you avoid having a stash. :)

omg, you guys!!!!! i can't get over that. i guess that it's normal... but still. it just grosses me out!!! i need to go check out my stash out, lol. oh, my.

Oh wow really!?

Huh. I would need one of those super duper restaurant freezers to hold all my yarn!

I see you are up in MI. It should be getting cold there soon, load everything up in the car or out on a covered porch and let Mother Nature help you out :wbrr

Conversely, I think I've heard extreme heat will kill them too, so if you are someplace hot, put the yarn in the car and park the car in the sun w/ the windows closed.

Holly

You know, I've seen bugs in some of the older yarn at my local yarnstore, in a display bin. I've seen bugs in old projects my mum has lying around, and I've also seen a bug or two in some of my own old yarn leftovers. I like vintage yarn, and bugs just like to live in those old things. I don't think you can avoid it completely unless you avoid having a stash. :)

That's the thing though! I don't HAVE any natural fibers! I'm too cheap for nice yarn. lol. Everything I have is acrylic.

I guess I'm gonna have to do the ghastly task of emptying out the bin and cleaning it and trying to find out where the little buggers are coming from.

gah.

Archived