Embarrassing problem...

Plo0t

Question

Ok, I am INSANELY embarrassed about my current situation, but I really need to know if it's just me or if this has happened to other people.

Lately, I've been noticing.........bugs.....in my yarn bin. These super tiny red midget maggoty-lookin things. (scary but true story: the first time i noticed them: i was crocheting on my bed and i had a sandwich next to me...i noticed what i thought was a piece of onion that had fallen off my onion roll, so i picked it up and was about to pop it in my mouth when i realized that it was moving!)

I keep my yarn in a big huge plastic tupperware type bin with no lid. I don't see them often. I've only seen 4 of them total. 2 the first time, one live and one dead. Then I found a dead one. And then I saw a live one crawling in the bottom of the bin.

This absolutely disgusts me and makes me not wanna touch my yarn.

Has anybody else experienced anything like this? :scared:embar

They smell gross, but they really help for keeping bugs out of your house: Mothballs. My family throws at least 10 boxes worth under the house every year and it keeps bugs out. It's amazing. You can totally tell when we haven't done it, because bugs show up everywhere.

You probably found the lavae stage of the moth which eats your yarn. Maybe you had some natural fibre like wool or mohair in your stash. Classy moths only go for the best yarn.:cheer :cheer :cheer

Just pick out the yarn that is not acrylic and freeze that. Maybe put the rest out in the sun for a few days.

The freezer works for weavil in your flour too. Freeze it before you throw it out so the bugs dont escape back into your pantry.

Also great for cleaning the childrens soft touys which cannot be washed.

Some people with children who have allergies, keep two lots of toys, one set in the freezer and one set to play with.

Have fun.:hug :hug :hug

Colleen.

PS Do not be embarassed, I bet you are not the first to have this problem.:blush :blush :blush

I just heard about bugs in yarn here recently... Someone suggested putting yarn (especially natural fibers) in the freezer overnight to kill the bugs...

Archived