Stiffener?

What is your favorite stiffener for thread crochet projects?

At the top of my list is Aleene's Fabric Stiffener.

In a pinch, I have used ElmTacky Glue and bottled water. Ratio: 1/1.

I don't care for any made with food products as it can attract creepy crawlies. :eek And I do try to be careful about anything that might yellow.

For more info, here's a list of others, some I've tried, some not.

Old fashioned Argo Starch in a box.

When I can't find that or it's a small project I use spray starch for shirts. I'll wet it down, spray a lot (till it's all white and foamy), massage it in and then roll in a towel to absorb the excess.

I agree with plain old laundry starch. Watered down glue is good for snowflakes and shaped things but laundry starch gives the right amount of 'body' not stiffness (I use the spray stuff). I've tried the craft store stiffy spray and didn't care for it much.

yes, I've had that too, with Elmer's glue. (you can use it straight too, if you want something super stiff. It just feels icky ;) ) Fortunately, it usually will wash right out. I had an ornament yellow...I threw it in the wash with the rest of the laundry, and it came out white and soft. Ready to re-stiffen. :)

I have some fabric stiffener...forget the brand...but I hope it does what I want it to do...that I'm going to be working with today. I picked it up in the fabric section of our hobby lobby.

I have used Epsoms salts also and really liked the results. Here is a link on how to use it. It also covers other stiffeners and how to use them.

Stiffeners

I have tried just about all of these over the years for various projects.

Archived