Carnival Glass 8" squares

**PICS AT BOTTOM OF POST**

I designed this square for my partner on the KISS granny square swap. She collects carnival glass so I search high and low for a pattern that was reminiscent of it. This pattern was suggested to me... http://http://www.freewebs.com/bethintx/framedchurchwindows6in.htm ...and I was inspired! I didn't want the gap in the middle and I had a hard time modifying it to not have a gap. So, I frogged my work and created my own pattern!

I made four 4" squares and whipstitched them together and then, because it was a 1/4" shy of 8", I sc around once. Afterward, I decided to try to make one 8" square from the pattern. I'm including both here.

Carnival Glass 8 inch squares

Materials:

*Yarn: worsted weight yarn in two colors; one solid (A) and one multi (B). I used Red Heart Super Saver Amethyst and Bikini.

*Hooks: I used H for the 4-square and I for the 1-square

*Other: Scissors, tapestry needle

Notes:

*At color changes, you can either finish off or carry your yarn across the back of your work

*I wrote the pattern so that begining chains count as a stitch but you can use other methods too. For a sc, you can ch 1 and sc in the same st and when you join the round, join to the sc, not the ch 1. For a dc, you can ch 2 or 3 and dc in the same st and then join the round in the dc or you can do a no-turning-chain-dc.

Special stitches:

*FPTC--front post treble crochet (

)

*no turning chain dc (

) Awesome, right??

With A, make a magic ring (or ch 4 and sl st to make a ring)

Row 1: 8 sc in ring, join with sl st and change to B.

Row 2: ch 3, dc in same st, 2 dc in next st, ch 1 (2 dc in each of next 2 st, ch 1) x3, join with sl st and change to A

Row 3: Ch 1, sc in next 3 st, (*FPTC around sc below the ch 1 sp, sc in ch 1 sp, FPTC in same sc before*, sc in next 4 sts) x3, repeat between ** once more, join with sl st and change to B

Row 4: ch 3, 1 dc in every st around except 5 dc in the sc between the FPTC (the corners), join with sl st and change to A

Row 5: ch 1, sc in next 3 st, (*FPTC around the treble below, sk st, 1 sc in next 2 st, 3 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 2 st, FPTC around treble below*, sk st, sc in next 4 st) x3, repeat between ** once more, join with sl st

---finish off now if you are making the 4-square---Otherwise, change to B

Row 6: ch 3, 1 dc in every st around except 5 dc in the middle sc of corners, join with sl st and change to A

Row 7: ch 1, sc in next 3 st, (*FPTC around treble below, sk st, sc in next 4 st, FPTC around treble below, sk st, sc in next 4 sts, FPTC around middle sc in the group of 3 sc two rows below, sk st, 3 sc in next st, FPTC round same sc as last FPTC*, sk st, sc in next 4 st) x3, repeat between ** once more, join with sl st, change to B

Row 8: repeat row 6

Row 9: ch 1, sc in next 3 st (*FPTC around treble below, sk st, sc in next 4 st, FPTC around treble below, sk st, sc in next 4 sts, FPTC around treble below, sk st, sc in next 3 st, 3 sc in next st, sc in next 3 st, FPTC round treble below*, sk st, sc in next 4 st) x3, repeat between ** once more, join with sl st and finish off! (or add a row of sc around with 3 sc in each corner)

Enjoy! You can use these squares for anything you want, just give me credit as the designer. Also, don't post this pattern anywhere else; please link back.

And please share pics of your squares!

P.S. Let me know if there are any mistakes or directions that are unclear. No need to pm me, just post here!

post-48303-135897768227_thumb.jpg

I like this one. I have been looking for an easier 'stained glass' square and this could do it. TFS :hug

Oops - do you mind getting :pinterest ? I can remove the link if you object.

Awesome! Very creative, I can follow patterns but not create

I was saying that a year ago. Now look! Just continue to try new patterns, of ALL types, and stretch your abilities. Always try stuff that is a tad harder than you are used to. Yes, it involves a lot of frogging, but you learn a lot in the process. Start with small modifications, then move on to bigger ones. Try adding a technique from one pattern on another one. These will all develop your skills.

I like this one. I have been looking for an easier 'stained glass' square and this could do it. TFS :hug

Oops - do you mind getting :pinterest ? I can remove the link if you object.

Uh...I've never been pinned before. I don't even really know much about Pintrest :eek Whatev. I'm cool with it. I'm happy that you are "pintrested" in my pattern :lol

Uh...I've never been pinned before. I don't even really know much about Pintrest :eek Whatev. I'm cool with it. I'm happy that you are "pintrested" in my pattern :lol

Thank you. BTW I saw a couple of others pin your pattern. Good on you!!!:cheer

• 2 weeks later...

Archived