Hello from Upper Katrina Country!

BeautifulBusyBrain

:hurricane

Actually, there is a reason I gave my locale as UKC; I'm near Jackson MS, and we got pretty beat up, but nowhere near the damage that the Gulf Coast took.

I've been crocheting off & on for 29 years now, and was in one of my "off" phases when Katrina hit. When I learned that my old college roommate had her home destroyed in Pass Christian, I decided to make her some "happies" for when she eventually does move into a new home, and maybe a few small things for while she's living in a hotel for the next several months. I thought dishcloths, facecloths, water bottle holders, other small things...

I looked up dishcloth patterns, and it's been one thing after another for the past 2 weeks. 3 dishcloths completed, 1 in process, 3 water bottle holders (4 after I finish one tonight), and I've started an afghan for my kid brother's Christmas present.

What can I say? It's an addiction. And I'm proud to be back off the wagon. :goodorbad

Have a good one y'all!

Maggs

Welcome! You will LOVE Crochetville. Move right on in.

I know only too personally what you are going through in Mississippi. If you go halfway between Jackson and Hattiesburg, you are in the Seminary area. That is where tons of my relatives live. (I also lived there for a year and spent much of my childhood summers there.) My uncle died this weekend (not storm related.) I bought airplane tickets into Jackson to try to go to the funeral, but could not get a hotel room or car rental. Cousins said they could put me up at their house, but I couldn't ask them to drive me everywhere too -- not to mention feed me since most of the restaurants are closed because they cannot get food! I lost my $500 on the ticket (nonrefundable) and didn't go.

My cousins, who were so kind to try to take me in, have been working nonstop in hauling fallen trees and feeding the homeless and workers who have come to help -- I could not intrude on their generosity! The stories they tell break my heart! And these are the lucky ones in Katrina's path. :(

Stitchinpick

Hi Maggs :cheer and Welcome to Crochetville from Buenos Aires, Argentina!

What you are doing, crocheting for your homeless friend, is wonderful! I watch on TV everything about Katrina and New Orleans, I am very very sorry.

Hi Maggs.:hug I used to live in Brandon and worked for a law firm in downtown Jackson. I've since moved, but miss it there. I heard from an old co worker last night that lives in Kosciusko.Was worried since katrina too! I'm so glad things weren't any worse for you guys! I'm glad you took up crocheting again, too!

Welcome to the board!:clap

Hi, Maggs, welcome aboard! Isn't it wonderful how crocheting can transform a terrible, impersonal disaster into one person helping one other person? I know that's how my mom and I feel about the blankets we're making, that we're reaching out and that somehow, whoever gets the blanket will feel the care and concern that went into making it. Patty

Archived