Who is making all of these Martha Stewart ponchos?

Well I made one. The first poncho I ever made. I love the way it looks and am giving it as a Christmas gift. Mine didn't cost much since I used yarn that I bought from a yard sale for next to nothing (a whole box full of new skeins of yarn!)...

I even made mine a larger size... I can't imagine selling it for $50 though...

I don't know who is making the ponchos in question, but I've watched her new daytime show and I do know that ALL of the proceeds from the sale of the ponchos on Martha's website are going to the relief fund for Katrina victims.

Kudos to Martha (and anyone else) for helping out, I say. :manyheart

I made several. Four I think, but, they all stayed at my house. I have two one in a variegated homespun in a fall color (red,orange, purple,green and gold) one in WW in gold, black, white, purple. Baltimore Ravens(football) colors. My daughter has on in a red homespun and all shades of blue and purple(left over colors. I think what appealed to me about the Martha Poncho was the border. I just loved the scalloped edging. I hate to cut fringe.

I do know that ALL of the proceeds from the sale of the ponchos on Martha's website are going to the relief fund for Katrina victims.

Kudos to Martha (and anyone else) for helping out, I say. :manyheart

Well...to be accurate, all the proceeds are going to charity, including - but not exclusively - Katrina victims. Martha's website lists the charities, most of them focusing on women's issues (which is great!)

I'd imagine they must be getting made overseas. Even at minimum wage, the ponchos would have too high of a labor cost for their to be any profit if made in the states. I would be curious to know what the manufacturing situation is. I don't have a problem with them being made overseas as long as it's not using child labor/sweatshop labor. Obviously they wouldn't be paying a U.S. wage rate, but what might seem like a trivial amount to us could put food on the table for a week in other parts of the world.

Holly

I've made two granny style ponchos, way before these were popular, but I was working on one for my mom and she liked the border, but I had a lot of trouble trying to get that border even with the poncho! I made a much plainer border instead. Yes, I liked the border too, pretty scalloped edging.

I also wondered who was making those ponchos, seeing that crochet items can not be machine made. Considering how much Homespun is on a sale (a lot of times 2 for 7.00), $50 is not bad for a price for a crochet poncho.

I decided a week after I retired from the hospital to go back into the crochet business. I had made so many hats, scarfs, booties, bibs for others that I thought I would try selling them. My first time out was a craft fair which I had to have my items juried. I was scared to death but I went with about 50 ponchos in various sizes among many other items for sale. My daughter who also crochets went with me. The adults didn't sell as well as the childrens but what amazed me was the baby ponchos. My daughter actually took orders and made the small ones while they were shopping elsewhere and they came back and picked them up! All of our ponchos were pattern free, came from the heart, whatever colors we had left. Went like hotcakes!

I don't know who's making all those ponchos that Martha is selling and giving away on the show. I agree that it's probably someplace overseas. Hmmm...I keep thinking about that lady in prison that made the original that started this fad...:think I hope she's not feeling miffed.

Archived