Trying out Knooking

#1Crochetfan

As I heard about this new found fad a year ago, I found the Leisure Arts set, at my Michael's store, and picked it up with a half off coupon. Even though, I knew how to knit, I have problems doing it in the round sometimes, and wondered if this would be easier for me, when knitting in the round.

I never did try it until now because I picked up another Leisure Arts set, for my Swap partner, and thought, how can I encourage her to try this when I, myself, never have.

So, I read the instructions and was fine with the knit stitch. Come time to do the purl stitch, the stitch was twisted and did not look right. The instructions for the purl stitch, to me, is not accurate, in the Leisure Arts booklet and their youtube, doesn't help any, either. Pixjen, on youtube, has the best tutorials, and the way she does the purl stitch, makes the stitch form correctly so I was able to complete my first project. As it is the "Spa cloth" pattern in the Leisure Arts booklet, I created my own take on the pattern in a dishcloth and dishtowel for my swap partner.

I was frustrated, at first, and found that I was losing my string, or not doing the tension right, but continued working and find it a little quicker than knitting. The purl stitch, still takes a little longer for me to work up, but I'm sure with practice, I will get the "hang" of it.

post-3193-135897761594_thumb.jpg

Those look beautiful! I'm trying to learn how to knook and I can do the knit stitch quite well, but I'm still learning how to keep tension with the purl.

How long did it take for you to really pick up knooking and feel comfortable enough to make a project?

purples-Those look beautiful! I'm trying to learn how to knook and I can do the knit stitch quite well, but I'm still learning how to keep tension with the purl.

How long did it take for you to really pick up knooking and feel comfortable enough to make a project?

TY Peggy and Purples ! These are my very first items that I've knooked. I used the biggest hook instead of the one supposed to be used in the pattern. Even though it gives a looser weave, it's easier when beginning to use a bigger size hook. I started with the small dish cloth and struggled with the tension when switching from the knit stitch to the purl stitch but slowly finished it. Then I decided to do a towel which helped me practice more, and halfway through, I was finding that I actually was enjoying it and finally getting better tension .:lol

• 4 weeks later...

Nice Knooking #1CrochetFan. You did a great job.

I finally found a Knook set (beginner's) at WalMart yesterday for $6. You should have seen how it was hidden and only 2 came in. They're only a year behind getting this set in. :( I wouldn't order a set because I didn't want to get mixed up in another fiber craft. Hah! Fat chance on that now.

I played with the G hook last night and some cotton yarn. Fun, fun, fun! I can finally make knit stitches. I watched 3 different videos on Knit Stitch and each person did them a bit different. The one that sold me was the Leisure Arts video (duh). I don't get the twisting of the hook on the Purl Stitch yet though. I'll play and practice with the Knit Stitch first. I want to make that cute spa cloth in the included book and I'm just thrilled to be able to make a 10 st sample!

Go for it gang! Don't put it off like I did.

ReniC>>>I finally found a Knook set (beginner's) at WalMart yesterday for $6. You should have seen how it was hidden and only 2 came in. They're only a year behind getting this set in. I wouldn't order a set because I didn't want to get mixed up in another fiber craft. Hah! Fat chance on that now.

I played with the G hook last night and some cotton yarn. Fun, fun, fun! I can finally make knit stitches. I watched 3 different videos on Knit Stitch and each person did them a bit different. The one that sold me was the Leisure Arts video (duh). I don't get the twisting of the hook on the Purl Stitch yet though. I'll play and practice with the Knit Stitch first. I want to make that cute spa cloth in the included book and I'm just thrilled to be able to make a 10 st sample!

Go for it gang! Don't put it off like I did.

:clap:clap:clap It sounds like you're doing great! Keep on practicing!!!

I'm working on a small knitted penguin stuffie at the moment and it's so much easier to do knooking in the round over using kpns!!:)

This past Thursday I took Karen Whooly's Knooking class at the Knit and Crochet show. Wow, was she ever a huge help in knooking. Any videos I watched on knooking were never clear to me as to what to do with the cable. Now I know. And surprisingly enough the purl stitch is easier than the knit stitch for me. I can't figure that one out, but I like it. :hook

I am still practicing here and there when I can. I have some other obligations to finish up by the 5th, then I can devote more time to the Knook. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I wanted to share with you my finished penguin. It was fun to work up, knooking, but the feet couldn't be worked up eactly as if they were completely knit and I had to combine some crochet sc with knitting in creating them.

Here is a link to the free pattern from Michael's in case any of you want to try one for yourself:

http://www.michaels.com/Knit-Penguin/25875,default,pd.html?start=27&cgid=projects-yarnandneedlecrafts-toysandamigurumi

post-3193-135897769428_thumb.jpg

Your version of the penguin is so very cute and the feet fit great.

I wanted to say thank you too, for the link to the pattern. I printed it and when my "overtaxed" wrist settles down, I will get on it. Too much crochet for me according to the orthopedic doc. I think it's just old-bones syndrome myself :lol.

In the meantime, I'm beading and embroidering trying to finish up some old WIP's and organizing crochet patterns to make for my 2nd great-grand due in January! :D

Hi everyone. I wanted to share with you my finished penguin. It was fun to work up, knooking, but the feet couldn't be worked up eactly as if they were completely knit and I had to combine some crochet sc with knitting in creating them.

Here is a link to the free pattern from Michael's in case any of you want to try one for yourself:

http://www.michaels.com/Knit-Penguin/25875,default,pd.html?start=27&cgid=projects-yarnandneedlecrafts-toysandamigurumi

I got the knook kit from my swap partner, thanks moo moo, but havnt tried it yet. Been trying to finish up other projects, hope to try it soon.

Just tryed my knook kit, got the leisure art one, had to watch video on you tube to figure it out. Its totaly different from the kit instructions but it works and its pretty easy. Did the basket weave pattern, it looks neat.

I love working with the Knooking set. I enjoy it alot.

I love it because i can knit with one needle instead of 2. I know how to knit but i do t like the two needles.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have been learning how to knook. I have been crocheting for so many years I lost count--I can knit but my edges are always loose. I like the knooking cause my edge stitches are not loose. It works for me!

mgqueen

• 3 weeks later...
what exactly is knoooking? i understand it's knitting with a crochet hook, but is that all it is? or are there different kinds of stitches?

Yes, that's all it is. Just knitting, with real knit stitches following normal knitting patterns. The only difference is that instead of 2 needles, you work with a hook with an attached flexible cord. The stitches remain 'live' on the hook and eventually move off the hook off onto the cord. The cord acts as the second needle; it holds the stitches and you work the stitches from the cord with the hook.

Archived