I keep forgetting to tell you guys!!

While we were going through my grandmother's house, we found some amazing stuff. Old photo albums, memorabilia from ancesters I didn't remember hearing about, old old old clothes, hand dyed indigo woven wool coverlets, just some amazing stuff. I came home with a garbage bag full of yarn, and another one nearly full of crochet thread (!!!!).

But none of those things are what this post is about.

The most amazing thing I think I found ... was one of those long slender cardboard jewelry boxes. On the front, it said "crochet patterns" and my Great Grandmother's name. I, of course, was very excited and curious as I opened it - what I found surprised the heck out of me! It was full of little snippets of these gorgeous threads laces, inlays, everything - I hadn't realized (or ever thought about it) that back before we wrote down everything - and paper was so expensive, that's how people exchanged patterns. There are some amazing things in there!

I just thought it was cool - these days, we think anyone who can copy a crocheted piece w/out a pattern is an amazing artist, but back then, that's pretty much the only way you were going to GET a pattern, and that was the norm.

So now - I really want to learn to be able to "read" an item as well as just a pattern! There are probably 75-100 little "snips" in there and I want to be able to use some of them!

The most amazing thing I think I found ... was one of those long slender cardboard jewelry boxes. On the front, it said "crochet patterns" and my Great Grandmother's name. I, of course, was very excited and curious as I opened it - what I found surprised the heck out of me! It was full of little snippets of these gorgeous threads laces, inlays, everything - I hadn't realized (or ever thought about it) that back before we wrote down everything - and paper was so expensive, that's how people exchanged patterns. There are some amazing things in there!

Wow, Faith! You must be so excited. Will you be taking photos of the stuff you found? I'd love to see photos of your treasures, and I bet everybody else here would, too.

I just thought it was cool - these days, we think anyone who can copy a crocheted piece w/out a pattern is an amazing artist, but back then, that's pretty much the only way you were going to GET a pattern, and that was the norm.

So now - I really want to learn to be able to "read" an item as well as just a pattern!

Me too. I'd love to be able to crochet some of the patterns I see here in doilies I inherited from my mom.

I agree with Beth. You should preserve those snippets in a shadow box or behind glass in a frame.

These are things that belonged to your great grandmother and should be preserved for future generations. So much is lost now a days it would be a shame to lose them.

How do I preserve them then? Is that something I can do, or do I need to get it done? I have a ton of shadow boxes (of course, not here, they're all at my dad's) so I think that's a great idea, but do I need to do something special to the fabrics themselves?

That is the only way my grandmother could follow a "pattern" was with little swatches. I was amazed to watch her do that, could never figure that out. That is why I had to learn from a book. I have all her old "patterns" too. :manyheart

How do I preserve them then? Is that something I can do, or do I need to get it done? I have a ton of shadow boxes (of course, not here, they're all at my dad's) so I think that's a great idea, but do I need to do something special to the fabrics themselves?

I have a needlepoint that my great-grandmother did, and for a gift one year my parents had it framed for me. They took it to someone they knew who mounted it and framed it for them. He knew just what to do to keep it nice -- it already had some age spots on it. Now it's behind glass and protected from any further damage. I would recommend taking it to someone who would actually have an idea of what to do with it. I know that needlepoint was too precious to take a chance with. I honestly don't know how much something like that would normally cost as the man who did mine was a friend of the family, and I've never asked how much this particular framing cost as it was a gift. :) It sounds like those pieces would look beautiful in a framed setting like that though. What an heirloom and precious gift. :manyheart

First, how wonderful for you!

How do I preserve them then? Is that something I can do, or do I need to get it done?

If you look in your area, if you're not in a small town, there are wedding dress presevers, they do bouquets and baby outfits usually. I'd go check them out. It won't be cheap. I think it'll be worth it in the end though because just slapping it in a frame won't protect it from sunlight, dust, etc.

You could also check with nice framing shops and see what they say.

Google it to see what you come up with.

That's a fantastic treasure! I'm so happy for you!

And I know what you mean about wanting to be able to read a piece. I've been crocheting for a few years now, and I can't do that. I want to be able to look at something and know which sticth was used, how it was used... I think that would be wonderful!

Congrats on the wonderful keepsakes. :)

Amazing Find. :c9

I'd take them to someone who knew what they are doing, would not want to take the chance of messing them up by trying myself:eek

Archived