Containing the YARN.

MrsForest

LOL. How does everyone do it? My husband is in the Army and we move quite a bit so what are good but small solutions to storing it? I was thinking doing this http://www.walmart.com/ip/ClosetMaid-9-Cube-Laminate-Organizer-Espresso/16486701 with canvas bins. I'm open to different solutions though. :)

I use something similar -- wire cube shelves. They are inexpensive, allow air to circulate and I can easily see what is stacked in the shelves. Yarn stays nicely stacked in the cubes, so I only use a basket insert for my thread and another for bits and small balls. I bought several sets of these and have almost a whole wall done in cubes. Here's a picture of the kind I mean, but mine are white:

post-36681-135897718455_thumb.jpg

The shelf unit is very nice but, I would be concerned with dust and smells.

Hmmm...Looks like the totes are very popular by the responses.

I too am a Rubbermaid tote freak. I love the totes with the locking handles and look for them first. Most of mine are packed full and the handle helps them from popping open. I store mine by color first. Baby yarn, thread and cottons have their own totes. I put a label on the outside of color or type. Sounds like a lot huh- not really though and I usually know exactly where one is that I need right away. In fact, DH suggested I find the largest one I can to store all my current projects in!

I have a few Rubbermaid totes, but this past year I changed over most of my yarn to the clear Sterilite totes. What a difference! You can see what you have, but it's also protected.

The shelf unit is very nice but, I would be concerned with dust and smells.

I didn't even think about that. LOL. I live in the desert currently and dust is a huge issue as well as dog hair (I have 2).

I use rubber maid totes for long term storage. My regular yarn supply I

store in sterilite stacking drawers. I have 18 of these. the frame is white

and the drawers transparent. You can stack the drawer frames as

you like. Each drawer holds 8-12 skeins of yarn such as red heart super

saver. More if its yarn such as hometown or other smaller skeins. I put a

file card in the window of each drawer with colors,brands,and dye lots.

The yarn stays clean an protected until I use it.:yarn

Rubbermaid totes for me too. Wow! I had no idea so many others used them also. I also have to admit to having one whole 5 drawer dresser & a couple of other drawers in my big dresser with a mirror that have become filled with yarn too....

Good luck!

I live in the desert as well and the dust and dog hair is the #1 reason I use totes. AND it keeps my one year old from making my yarn a disaster. He just LOVES to mess with my yarn.

I couldnt imagine what a tike would do with my yarn my dogs are bad enough. Lol the dust here at bliss is awful! I dust and it seems all to come back in a day! I'm from Oklahoma so the dust is definitely an aggravation. I think i may have to go with the totes.

For yarn I mostly use the Sterilite totes. I have a couple of soft plastic zipper bags, a little larger than blanket bags. I don't really like those as they don't stack securely. I have some of my thread in Sterilite totes and some in 2.5 gal zip lock bags. I would prefer all totes.

I forgot to say in my first post that I keep all my leftover balls and skeins in the clear plastic zip bags that sheets and blankets come in. These bags are wonderful for yarn!

I had a couple of them from sheet sets that I started with, and began to put my open balls of cotton in them.

Then, my Auntie next door gave me some larger ones. I was thrilled! I filled the biggest ones with my worsted weight acrylic partial skeins and balls, and divided them by pastels, medium and dark.

After that, a girlfriend gave me a couple more small ones, so I divided up the cotton more by color, which I do like a lot better.

Since I've done this, I've amazed myself at how much I've made just out of these bags, by checking them first before starting a small project. Out of the last 10 bathcloths, the cotton yarn has all come out of these bags, except for a new skein of aqua I needed to open for a couple of them.

So, I highly recommend these zip sheet and blanket bags, plus they are nice and heavy.

Archived