Some of my rag rugs I have made

Minerva

Thankyou, I have made about 50 rugs altogether I think, sold some, gave some as gifts, have loads in my house!

I use a 10mm, 12mm, 15mm and 20mm hook, it depends on weight and 'stiffness' of material and thickness of strips.

The best material to use is a cotton/synthetic mix imo....It takes a lot of material to make one rug, but they are really thick, and comfy and last for ages.

The 1st 2 rugs I ever made we're from my kids clothes for their bedrooms, took 6 months to cut up all the material but was well worth it :)

The ones made from bedding etc take me about 1-2weeks to make..

Very nice collection! I love them and have great respect for you! Rag rugs are hard for me to make, they hurt my hands so you must have a better technique or tougher hands! :) They really are nice. Something so homey-feeling about rag rugs. II think every hearth should have one at the very least! :)

Very nice collection! I love them and have great respect for you! Rag rugs are hard for me to make, they hurt my hands so you must have a better technique or tougher hands! :) They really are nice. Something so homey-feeling about rag rugs. II think every hearth should have one at the very least! :)

Thanks for the lovely comments...

It's getting the right material, I think a cotton/synthetic mix is the best but it does ruin my hands, I suffer quite badly with my hands and have lots of skin problems and they split really easily but making rugs is good fun once the prep work is done!!

OMG!! Those are beautiful rugs. Am specially partial to the green one(would go with my green living room furniture--:))!! I made a purse out of fabric(I forgot what size hook I used, BUT my crocheting hand hurt so bad when I was done--didn't try it again!!) All your rugs are gorgeous!!:clap

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I admire your rugs very much I have made them out of rug cotton yarn and they are hard on the hands for sure have fabric strips to make a rag one and haven't yet you inspire me thanks for that

• 4 weeks later...

Great job with your rugs! I have a question: Is it tough on your hands when you're working with rags vs yarn? I have shied away from crocheting with anything other than yarn for that reason, since I have some problems with tendonitis, at times.

Archived