Polymer Clay Buttons

Amy

I think I'm going to take the Polymer Clay Button class being offered at the CGOA Chain Link conference in Greensboro this September. Michael's has the right kind of polymer on sale this week at 50% off, so I went and bought some yesterday. I played around a little bit earlier this afternoon, and made 8 buttons:

IMG_0159.JPG

Oh, they are so neat!! Love them!!

When you say the right kind of polymer, what kind is that?

The instructor, Suzann Thomas, says you should only bring Premo (made by Sculpey) or FIMO brands for class. I've never worked with polymer clay before, so I don't really know why.

I bought the Premo Accents kind, since it had sparkly stuff built into it. :D

I thought they came out quite nice since I don't really know what I'm doing yet.

I cut them using the cap to a bottle of facial lotion I had. They weren't that easy to get out. I was going to buy a set of circle fondant cutters, but they didn't have the sizes I wanted. I don't want to buy just one set of cutters online, so I may have to go look at Hobby Lobby and see what they have, and then maybe at various places for mini cookie cutters.

They were very fun to make, and didn't take long at all.

look in the Wilton (cake dec) sections of stores for mini cutters...( I was a pro cake dec for 28 yrs and have a LOT of old Wilton stuff than can be used for many other things.)

look in the Wilton (cake dec) sections of stores for mini cutters...( I was a pro cake dec for 28 yrs and have a LOT of old Wilton stuff than can be used for many other things.)

Those are the cutters I was looking at yesterday. Michael's just didn't have very many of them. Tons of cake pans, very few cutters. I'll have to head out to Hobby Lobby and Joann to see what they have. We also have a couple different kitchen stores in town that stock Wilton stuff, and I think there's even a cake shop that stocks a bunch of their stuff.

Okay... those are really cool!

you did a great job Amy!!! I can see this being a really nice touch to an already handmade item!!!

:heart

:mug

The instructor, Suzann Thomas, says you should only bring Premo (made by Sculpey) or FIMO brands for class. I've never worked with polymer clay before, so I don't really know why.

I bought the Premo Accents kind, since it had sparkly stuff built into it. :D

I thought they came out quite nice since I don't really know what I'm doing yet.

I cut them using the cap to a bottle of facial lotion I had. They weren't that easy to get out. I was going to buy a set of circle fondant cutters, but they didn't have the sizes I wanted. I don't want to buy just one set of cutters online, so I may have to go look at Hobby Lobby and see what they have, and then maybe at various places for mini cookie cutters.

They were very fun to make, and didn't take long at all.

Thanks for the info, Amy!!!

I'm thinking this might be a fun class to do here at Crochetville, since everybody seems excited about the idea of buttons custom-made to match your crocheted items.

If I feel confident enough about certain techniques after taking the class in Greensboro, I'll see what I can work up for a class here. Of course, I won't copy any of Suzann's material. I'll do more research on techniques and create my own class materials.

Anybody interested?

If anybody's coming to Greensboro, I'd love to have some friends to share the class fun with! Let me know if you plan on taking that class, and we can arrange to sit near each other. If you'd want to sit with me that is! You might prefer to be at the opposite end of the room! :D

That would be a fun class! Imagine the multitude of colors and patterns a group would come up with! I've seen some tutorials online and thought that it was a fabulous idea. My only question, do they survive a round in the washer and dryer?

Those are beautiful, Amy! I never thought about making my own buttons but the right button can really set off a project! What better way to find the right color & size, than to make your own!

Archived