Ball or skein?

katyallen815

Just curious, as to whether most of us prefer to use the yarn from the middle of the skein, (if it has one, some do not, no matter how much yarn barf you pull out looking for it!) or if you routinely ball your skeins and use it from the ball?? I really like working from the skeins, as after the first few pulls, it comes out smoothly, with little problem, but I do ball up the difficult skeins, or the very partial skeins, as it fits in my basket better too. Either way, neither way, both or your way..what you say!

Skeins for me. If I make even a small ball of yarn, my cat finds it and plays with it. I end up with yarn wrapped around the furniture and all over the floor. She never touches a skein of yarn though or my project. A ball of yarn doesn't have a chance:lol

i wind my yarn into balls that way before i begin a project i can tell if theres a knot or something.....that way im not spending umpteen hours picking at yarn barf in the middle of a project

I put mine on a 'swift', after I pull it from the skein...no balls, they roll around too much.

I just got a new winder and I'll see how that goes...

seems like the skeins have it..

When I started I made balls but now I use the skeins. It's just so much easier. Sadly my kitties attack the yarn no matter what for it is in! Though the balls definitely get more attention because of the rolling. I came home the other day to find half a ball of white yarn wrapped and tangled around my bead post!

I am with Ducky & Mary on this one - I really like to "know" what's up with the yarn BEFORE I hit a trouble spot (frayed/stained/knotted) in my project - so I always like to wind it when I can into a pull "cake" skein on my winder.;)

That way there are NO surprises and worse yet having to cut and join in the middle of rows etc.:yes

I prefer balls, but we have 4 cats and 1 is a 10 week old kitten. Malbone loves to tear apart my balls. So for now i am sticking to the skeins. I was rolling them into balls because I could not find the center's starting point to pull out the yarn.

well, nice to know everyone's preference, the only kitty that would bother my balls or skeins, or anything else in the craft room is the Mad Max kitty! But he loves yarn, and he loves to be with me, while the other two, amuse themselves watching the birds and rabbits out the windows, and of course napping!

• 4 months later...
Skeins for me. If I make even a small ball of yarn, my cat finds it and plays with it. I end up with yarn wrapped around the furniture and all over the floor. She never touches a skein of yarn though or my project. A ball of yarn doesn't have a chance:lol

Skeins for me to as with a previous poster I have cats that love to bat the yarn balls around so I try not to use them unless I have to.

i wind my yarn into balls that way before i begin a project i can tell if theres a knot or something.....that way im not spending umpteen hours picking at yarn barf in the middle of a project

I prefer balls, but we have 4 cats and 1 is a 10 week old kitten. Malbone loves to tear apart my balls. So for now i am sticking to the skeins. I was rolling them into balls because I could not find the center's starting point to pull out the yarn.

"YARN BARF" - :rofl never knew the technical name for the stuff coming out of the middle of a skein. :rofl I usually leave it as the skein.

Yeah it fit, yarn barf, lol it is funny! And A lot of you have kitties that would otherwise destroy your balls, but there are pros and cons to both,and not even counting the winders, when it all comes down to it, Ill take and use yarn any way shape or form, i guess, and just hope I don't drop a ball when Max is around, i swear, he can hear a butterfly fart and will come running at the silent sound of a tiny ort of yarn ball, hitting a carpeted floor two doors down the hall! YIKES! gotta love um!

Like several other posters I use from the skein then when it gets too small or I am afraid its going to get tangled I use my winder to make a cake. Or sometimes I just roll it in a ball. But I really love my winder. My cotton yarn I always make it into a cake before using it. I found the term "yarn barf" funny :rofl also. The other day while waiting for a doctor's appointment I had one and said outloud so my hubby heard me "Oh darn. A yarn barf." To which he replied, "You got a what?" and so I explained it to him. He just shook his head.

Skeins because I need to pull from the middle since all 5 of my cats like to sleep on my skeins while working and its the only way I can keep working while the monsters are sleeping. Thankfully the only thing they like to destoy is toilet paper.

Skeins for me, too. I know it can be aggravating, looking for the end in the middle of the skein, but I'm used to it.

:manyheart

Skeins because I need to pull from the middle since all 5 of my cats like to sleep on my skeins while working and its the only way I can keep working while the monsters are sleeping. Thankfully the only thing they like to destoy is toilet paper.

Ha ha, least they just sleep on it, mine love to tear it apart! lol the Craft room is usually off limits to kitties, but now and then one sneaks in without me noticing and it doesn't take long to find him either, look for the balls unwould!!

Skeins for me, too. I know it can be aggravating, looking for the end in the middle of the skein, but I'm used to it.

:manyheart

That is usually and I say that lightly not a problem, but honestly I have had some skeins that I would be happier just to cut up in pieces than to try to figure out where they put the end!!!! Grrr, course I don't do that, I just struggle through, and mostly, it does come out in the end, pun intended! he he he! :lol

... (if it has one, some do not, no matter how much yarn barf you pull out looking for it!) ...

Hilarious! I never thought of it as yarn barf, but I will now. :lol Every skein from now on!

I pull from the middle of the skein. If I have to redo a project, it gets balled.

Archived