Photo of 2 Women Crocheting While Standing Up in Seaside FL

post-50011-135897661448_thumb.jpg

I posted this photo I took two years ago on my rutheh.wordpress.com blog today but I wanted to know if you have seen people crochet while standing?

It was a first for me.

I am really a knitter but love Granny Square afghans and French Market Linen Bags with a fine hook.

My next youngest sister knits, and I noticed she will stand and knit sometimes when talking to people. This is when she's knitting socks, not something large and hard to handle.

I have knit while standing, but only briefly. I understand that peasant women used to keep yarn and needles in their pockets to knit while headed out to do chores. I don't think I'm so baffled by these ladies standing to crochet as the fact that they seem to be sharing yarn! That puzzles me. :think In any case, it's a lovely picture, Ruth. Thank you for sharing — and welcome to Crochetville! We're glad to have you with us. :D

ETA: Looking at it again, is the woman in the green dress just holding, and perhaps frogging, something for the other to crochet?

ETA: Looking at it again, is the woman in the green dress just holding and perhaps frogging something for the other to crochet?

That's what it looks like to me, too. One is unraveling as the other uses the yarn.

Personally, I usualy sit while I crochet! :lol

I stand and crochet when working on something small. It's a great way to get in a little activity. I'm not running or anything, but moving around even a little helps!

Same here, if it's small. Usually it's just walking around my house otherwise my legs get too tense.

hmmmm, maybe I ought to stash a hook and thread WIP into my purse for grocery lines ;) (might need a bigger purse for that! lol)

I agree, it looks like the lady on the left is frogging while the one on the right is crocheting it back together. :) nice!

I've crocheted V-stitch scarves while walking in the park. A few park "regulars" have bought some yarn for me and essentially walked with me while I made scarves for them. At one point I was training for a marathon and would walk for miles every day on the track in our park. I've also taken yarn and hook to Disney World and worked on scarves while waiting in line. Most of my crocheting is done sitting down, though. :hook

I have been known to stitch (knit or crochet depending on the project at the time) with yarn in a pocket or purse standing up. mostly I am sitting but if standing in line or waiting I see no reason not to stitch. Some of my family member actually ask if I am feeling ok if I don't have something with me lol. although it is usually a dishcloth potholder or granny square or something small and managable.

I crocheted on one of my charity hats while standing in a very long line the first year they gave H1N1 shots. I had the yarn and my pattern in a light weight tote bag over my left arm. The Hispanic lady behind me was watching everything I did.

One of the workers was wearing a scarf another lady had crocheted while waiting in the same line!

I was waiting in a line with my brother and :crocheting. He said "You can do that while standing?", The line started to move, so I said "Yes, walk too :lol". My family thinks something is wrong if I don't have my "knitty-ditty" bag. They always ask "What are you making now?", instead of saying hello/how are you? :lol.

Ellie 13

When I'm wearing jeans or other pants with belt loops, or using a belt bag for a purse, I can carry my little Victorian wrist bag. They aren't hard to make and they're handy for small projects--just make them big enough to suit you. the one I used for a pattern was sized for thread and a steel hook, but my hands don't get along with those :) so I used cotton dishcloth yarn to make it. Wish I could put up a picture...here's how:

You need:

thread or cotton yarn

a hexagon motif pattern you like

two hexagons of sturdy fabric (denim works well) for a lining

a button

Make two hexagons big enough to hold a smallish project and ball of yarn. Now make a wrist strap/belt loop from a strip of mile-a-minute lace. (I start mine off a corner of one of the hexagons.) When it's long enough to go over your wrist (the original Victorian way) or through your belt loop, end off. Sew the hexagons together on four sides. Sew a button onto the opposite side from where the strap attaches. Trim two hexagons out of whatever you'r lining with, sew them around four sides, stuff them into the bag and tack down the upper edge, but leave a small opening at a corner--top or top side, your choice--to run your yarn through. When you want to crochet on the go, slip your belt through the strap (or hook it with a carabiner) and thread the yarn through the hole you left. You can knit on small circulars quite well with one of those, too.

Archived