My version of the "Easiest Shawl Ever"

Starpoint Lee

Here's my version of Kika Robinson's "Easiest Shawl Ever" published in the first issue of Crochet Me: http://crochetme.com/issue_1/easiest_shawl_ever.html.

Although I love the large tassels, I used a rather light and fluffy mohair blend and felt it needed a bit more body all around, so I opted for a scalloped edging instead of the tassels. I used Lion Brand's Martha's Poncho edging, leaving off the last round. It's a great shawl, VERY quick and easy; just right for a little chill.

Here's my daughter modeling:

beigeshawlfront-rs.jpg

beigeshawlback-rs.jpg

beigeshawlfront2-rs.jpg

Very pretty! Can I ask what yarn you used? This would be a great gift for my MIL for Christmas. Your daughter didn't look exactly thrilled to be modeling, did she? I know I grab whoever I can when the need arises! neverthe less she's a cutie and the shawl is classic! :hug

Lorry

Very pretty! Can I ask what yarn you used? This would be a great gift for my MIL for Christmas. Your daughter didn't look exactly thrilled to be modeling, did she? I know I grab whoever I can when the need arises! neverthe less she's a cutie and the shawl is classic! :hug

Lorry

LOL!! Thank you :). I think Katy was going for "sultry" and doesn't realize she achieved "sulky" instead. She actually offered to model for me. She just turned 15 and, aside from the usual hormonal moodiness, is convinced that the "no-smile-tres-ennui" look is both required for a teen and is sultry. (I caught her practicing her "look" in the mirror the day before school pictures--which came out much better than these, thankfully ;).)

I used a yarn my mother gave me. She's a masterful knitter and had a bunch of WIPs in her attic that she decided she never would to finish. I loved taking all her unused yarn off her hands. I have no idea how old the yarn is, and some of it she bought overseas. She can't resist yarn when she travels. She brought back some amazing yarn from Sweden once, and some gorgeous wool from Ireland. I dont' know if that yarn is local or not, nor how old. The label says Bouquet Jacana by Spinrite Yarns out of Listowel, Ontario. It's 70% acrylic and 30% mohair. It looks like a twisted 2-ply and feels like it might be sport weight, but I used an oversized hook with it and the label doesn't give a suggested needle and hook size or weight. That's the first piece I've made with it so far, so I don't know if it's actually worsted weight and would make a more "worsted" fabric with a smaller hook. For some reason, most soft mohair blends feel light and sport weight to me as unworked strands even when the label says worsted, so I'm not sure of its "official" weight. I'm not very good at judging the weight of yarns. I was convinced that Caron's Simply Soft was sport weight when feeling the unworked strand, but Simpy Soft's label says worsted.

I just compared the Jacana I used on the beige shawl to Red Heart's Symphony (the only other "mohair type" yarn I have in the house). Symphony is 100% acrylic and Caron advertises it as "giving a brushed mohair effect." The Symphony looks like 2-ply twisted but has more "hair" and is twisted more loosely than the Jacana I used. The Symphony strands actually feel thinner than the Jacana, so my Jacana may be worsted weight. Go figure :).

Has anyone ever heard of Bouquet Jacana by Spinrite Yarns???? And how do company's decide the weight of yarns?

--Lee

It's great and I love the edging you did. You model (daughter) looks like my model (daughter), the same expression ( are you done yet ? ). Wonderful job.

Archived