I can do it myself! Design Cal

hhensler

I wanted to create this CAL for anyone interested in designing/pattern writing. The item you choose is entirely up to you. All experience levels welcome from first timers to pros. You can share the pattern or not - it's up to you. What I am interested in is the design process itself. Designing is a very personal process...how do you go about it? And once you settle on a design, how do you explain what you just did in a written pattern?

I am currently working on an exploded lace kaleidoscope design, so I guess I will start this CAL by sharing what I have done so far...

post-15073-135897639762_thumb.jpg

post-15073-135897639768_thumb.jpg

post-15073-135897639771_thumb.jpg

post-15073-135897639774_thumb.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far that is all that I have done...I plan on making another 12 motifs to go around what I have here - it will create a queen size afghan once the border is added.

But what are you designing? Are you willing to share your process? I would love for you to join me!

WOW Heather!!! That's GORGEOUS!!!! Way to go!!! I'll have to check in with ya'll in a week or so when I start working on writing up the pattern for my scrubby dish cloths.

Julee

I am, by no stretch of the imagination, a designer by any means. But I must tell you Heather how stunning your design is! I can't even imagine making something that intricate and beautiful, let alone designing it!

I sure hope you do write the pattern out for this one because I'm in L:heartVE!

Is it Round 6 that's the light pink? That round looks just like leaves! I love using that decrease technique to fill in spaces.

This is really amazing because it looks (from a distance) like irish crochet with the tiny rose motifs. I had to blow up the pic to see that it wasn't.

You're work is always gorgeous.

I hadn't thought of the decreases looking like leaves, and now that you bring it up I wish I had incorporated some leaves...in fact there are several things in the design that I would probably do differently if I were to start over - I just don't have the attention span to remake an entire afghan.

That being said, I do have some other designs that I plan on starting as soon as this afghan is complete. I would like to work out the designs here in this CAL, step by step along with whoever would like to join me.

Love it! 1 motif would make a great doily. I hope you share the pattern. I've made a few designs for contests, but I don't think I could explain the process. Right now I have too many projects going to try something new. I'll check back to see how people do though.

Ellie 13

Love it! 1 motif would make a great doily. I hope you share the pattern. I've made a few designs for contests, but I don't think I could explain the process. Right now I have too many projects going to try something new. I'll check back to see how people do though.

Ellie 13

I do plan on sharing the pattern here in this Cal, however, I haven't even attempted to write it up yet - I want to finish crocheting the afghan first (hopefully it won't take too long)...but in the mean time, if you look closely at my pics, I'm sure you could count the stitches...;)

I finished and attached three of the 12 motifs I needed...the rest I have in a sort of assembly line in various stages of completion.

post-15073-135897640342_thumb.jpg

I've decided to go ahead and start writing up the pattern. I will share it here as I write it...

Here are the first two rows... please let me know if you find any mistakes ;)

Row #1, color #1

Chain 7, slip stitch to first chain to form ring. Chain 2 (this counts as your first dc), 17 dc in ring, slip stitch to top of chain 2 to join. =18dc

Cut yarn, weave in ends.

Row #2, color #2

make a slip knot in your yarn, and insert hook into slip knot. Join with a slip stitch from back to front around the post of any dc, chain 3 (counts as bpdc, chain 1) *work a bpdc around the post of the next dc, chain 1* repeat 17 times. Join with a slip stitch to chain 2 of your beginning chain 3. = 18 bpdc, 18 chain 1 spaces

Cut yarn, weave in ends.

Of course...

I am using an "H" hook, and RHSS in Claret, Lt. Raspberry, and Petal Pink.

As I begin to share the pattern, I would love to hear everyone's thoughts...If this were your design, what would you have done differently? What could have been done to make this design more attractive, etc.?

As I post my instructions, I would love for each of you to post what you would have done...

Here's the next step:

Row #3, Color #3

Join with a slip stitch in any chain 1 space, chain 1, sc in same space, chain 3, *sc in next chain 1 space, chain 3* repeat between * 17 times = 18sc & 18 chain 3 spaces

This is what it should look like so far:

post-15073-135897640855_thumb.jpg

Of course...

I am using an "H" hook, and RHSS in Claret, Lt. Raspberry, and Petal Pink.

As I begin to share the pattern, I would love to hear everyone's thoughts...If this were your design, what would you have done differently? What could have been done to make this design more attractive, etc.?

As I post my instructions, I would love for each of you to post what you would have done...

Heather, I thought your design along with color combination was drop dead gorgeous. Normally I wouldn't say pink is my favorite color but I do love this.

wow, that is awesome. I love motifs done in that style (the overlay) how big is each motif?

The finished motif will be about 18"...the afghan uses a total of 19 motifs plus a border, so it's pretty large - I wanted something that would drape over the edges of a queen size bed.

Heather - That afghan is gorgeous! I'm totally in for making one. I might join you on the designing side, too. I have some other things to finish up, but then, I'm in!

:cheer Oh, good - this is going to be fun!

Archived