Vent: "not your grandmother's crochet..." and other words to that affect

I just got a newsletter that had a piece on a new crochet book. The very first sentence was that overused idea that the average person thinks of crochet as something only grannies do. Now, I heavily paraphrased that opening line...

I am just seeing red over here about this. I am sick to death of reading (especially reading) anything on crochet in particular, but everything else in general as "not your (fill in the blank) (fill in the blank)" as in "not your grandma's crochet any more..." or "not your dad's Oldsmobile" or whatever.

First off, I learned to crochet over 40 years ago when I was 11...I wasn't a grandma then, and I NEVER once had anyone say to me, "Why are you doing that, only grandma's do that..." I never heard anyone say that until this last decade...and mainly through this site...but never directly to me.

Secondly, technically I am old enough to be a grandma, but I'm not because I never had children...even my cats can't make me a furgrandma because they are fixed or if not, they haven't told me of any furgrandkids running around.

Thirdly, I'm sick of doilies in general being maligned as "useless..." If you don't like making doilies, fine...but they do serve a purpose...even if it's nothing more than a freaking work of art...but they serve a purpose of being able to set something on a coffee table that something else can set on the doilie and not mar the coffee table.

Jeez.

Yes, I'm more than happy that crochet seems to be hot again...but crochet never, ever went out of style for me...even if I didn't crochet for a few years, I didn't and don't crochet because it's the newest hottest trend, it is a lifelong passion. What I do like now though is that yes, the craft has new blood, and vintage techniques are being explored and given new life...but not to ever, ever say that what is out now means what was old was bad...

Even if there are patterns out there that I would never make, that I may wonder what the designer was thinking, the thing is, the designer was still thinking and being creative...

Maybe I'm too sensitive about crochet...I don't know...but still please future reviewers of crochet, use other phrases than the tired, "it's not your granny's crochet anymore" and other similar phrases...please.

I must agree with you on this. I find the trite little statements turn me off.

I love crochet in all it's forms, and have embraced it since I was quite young myself. Never considered it a grannies pastime then or now. It's just a enjoyable, productive art form.

Why it has to be generalized and degraded for it's past beauty and pleasure is beyond me.

And I don't care I will continue making my doilies as I don't think of them as old fashioned but as a lovely art form. The balance of shape and form has always intriqued me.

We need to learn to embrace our past accomplishments and strive to create new and inspired pieces as a crochet community.

I must agree with you on this. I find the trite little statements turn me off.

I love crochet in all it's forms, and have embraced it since I was quite young myself. Never considered it a grannies pastime then or now. It's just a enjoyable, productive art form.

Why it has to be generalized and degraded for it's past beauty and pleasure is beyond me.

And I don't care I will continue making my doilies as I don't think of them as old fashioned but as a lovely art form. The balance of shape and form has always intriqued me.

We need to learn to embrace our past accomplishments and strive to create new and inspired pieces as a crochet community.

Thank you and Amen...and I miss you up here, even though we never did get around to going out and having that drink...

But I'm glad you're happy in Arizona...

I'm going to be 35 this year and have been crocheting since... hmm kindergarden if not a little before? SO - imagine how I feel hearing all of these statements. People at work (jokingly) will make comments like "oh, another fun Friday, huh?" and I say "yup" - what is wrong with having a nice quiet time ENJOYING crochet or other crafts?

*shrugs*

I wouldn't say its enough to make me vent but it does make my eyes roll occassionally.

I'm going to be 35 this year and have been crocheting since... hmm kindergarden if not a little before? SO - imagine how I feel hearing all of these statements. People at work (jokingly) will make comments like "oh, another fun Friday, huh?" and I say "yup" - what is wrong with having a nice quiet time ENJOYING crochet or other crafts?

*shrugs*

I wouldn't say its enough to make me vent but it does make my eyes roll occassionaly.

Not this Friday, but next Friday I'll be hanging out with a full LYS of ladies (and one man) who will be knitting and crocheting. This happens the 3rd Friday of the month and the first time I went, there were ladies waiting for a place to open up to sit down...now that's a Friday night for me. I mean, I like going out, but date nights seem to be any night other than Friday night...

I think what really, really annoyed me about what I read is that it was from a newsletter on all kinds of crafts...and I got the impression that either the writer was paraphrasing what the designer of the crochet book was saying about the craft of crocheting or that the designer, herself actually said the overused sentiment...either way, it's bad enough when someone who doesn't crochet says things like this...and I just take those times as an opportunity to show them that crochet isn't just afghans, baby sweaters and booties or even doilies (and there's absolutely nothing wrong with any of those items, I make lots of them myself...) but that hey, see this sweater I'm wearing, it's crocheted...see this purse I'm carrying, it's crocheted...and so on...my favorite is to show off my crocheted socks..."wow! Who knew?" is usually the response.

I mean, honestly, if one was a painter out painting landscapes or a still lifes, would someone go up to them and say, "Hey are you retired? Only retirees paint canvases..." or to someone who does pottery...

It's bad enough back in the 80's when I did feel I had to defend myself and my sewing (in particular) against women (in particular) that felt that my sewing was setting my sex back several decades...the whole, "I have more important things to do with my time than sew...(or crochet, or knit or whatever...) would they have said the same thing to someone doing sculpture?

I agree totally with you. Crochet isn't something that only grannies do. Nor is it a useless craft. I enjoy making dishcloths, potholders and other "practical" items. I'm not saying that doilies aren't practical, one is covering the top of my coffee table that has a large scratch on it. Very practical in my opinion. :lol

I don't understand why those that haven't the talent to do something feel that they can criticize someones else's efforts in that area.

I am old enough to be a grandma, but I'm not because I never had children...even my cats can't make me a furgrandma because they are fixed or if not, they haven't told me of any furgrandkids running around.

:roflFrom another furgrandma.

I agree totally with you. Crochet isn't something that only grannies do. Nor is it a useless craft. I enjoy making dishcloths, potholders and other "practical" items. I'm not saying that doilies aren't practical, one is covering the top of my coffee table that has a large scratch on it. Very practical in my opinion. :lol

I don't understand why those that haven't the talent to do something feel that they can criticize someones else's efforts in that area.

:roflFrom another furgrandma.

See that's just it, this was written by someone who I believe should know better...like I said, I don't know if the writer was paraphrasing the designer of the crochet book or if the designer was making the statement herself...anyway, I just needed to vent...it's been a growl-ly bear of a day for me...

I know that is a denigrating catch-phrase used for crochet but honestly, every age thinks the ages before its own were ignorant, uncivilized and generally, well, just not up to our "modern" standards. People don't do this only about crochet but everything. As humans, we are terribly proud of ourselves and just cannot believe any other age can match us!

A tad arrogant, hmmmmm?

The "not-your-grannies'" phrase is annoying. Period. No matter what or who it is about.

I know that is a denigrating catch-phrase used for crochet but honestly, every age thinks the ages before its own were ignorant, uncivilized and generally, well, just not up to our "modern" standards. People don't do this only about crochet but everything. As humans, we are terribly proud of ourselves and just cannot believe any other age can match us!

A tad arrogant, hmmmmm?

The "not-your-grannies" phrase is annoying. Period. No matter what or who it is about.

Yeah, you're right about it not just being about crochet...

I totally agree with everything here, I do think crochet (and any craft, knitting sewing etc) gets bad press but I never come across any negative comments. I cant help but wonder if they are implying that things are so much more advanced now than just granny squares but that would even be an insult to granny squares and they can be beautiful too.

I don't know what awful things these people think our grannies made. My grandmother made beautiful afghans, all kinds of baby items, sweaters, slippers, and pillow case edgings.

I totally agree with everything here, I do think crochet (and any craft, knitting sewing etc) gets bad press but I never come across any negative comments. I cant help but wonder if they are implying that things are so much more advanced now than just granny squares but that would even be an insult to granny squares and they can be beautiful too.

Absolutely...

I don't know what awful things these people think our grannies made. My grandmother made beautiful afghans, all kinds of baby items, sweaters, slippers, and pillow case edgings.

I know...I love vintage crochet from the late 1800's to the early 1900's and then I love things (crocheted or otherwise from the 40's...)

Now I may not be the biggest fan of granny squares, but even they have their purpose and beauty...but I get really tired doilies taking a hit. I've heard so called fashion critics go on and on about how you don't want to wear anything crocheted unless you want to look like you're wearing a "doily..."

Anyway...thanks for understanding and validating...I appreciate it.

At the risk of having my head handed to me...

I don't find that statement nearly as offensive as some. In truth - I don't crochet the same things that my Grandmother did. I certainly don't make those 70's style granny square blankets and sweaters.

So many of us grew up and had our Grandmother's teach us. Just a quick look at modern history - growing up, my Grandmother was home - not at work. She had the time to crochet. Coming from the generation of 2 income families - 8 hours a day plus commute time really does cut down on crochet time and energy in general.

Yes - my Grandmother made tons of doilies. I don't make the things that she did. I make my own stuff that's more in line with 'today' than yesteryear.

We can add our own connotations to any written statement. I don't find the statement in itself to be insulting. It could very well be purely descriptive.

What irks me is the idea that anything associated with grandma, grandpa, mom, or dad is somehow 'bad' so we have to disassociate (in this case crochet) in order for it to be palatable to 'modern' folks? Huh? Hey, those oldsters got more than a few things right or we wouldn't even be here having this discussion! Since we're talking about crochet specifically, no question, patterns and yarn have changed since my Grandmas' day, but I bet we enjoy the craft just the same as they did.

What irks me is the idea that anything associated with grandma, grandpa, mom, or dad is somehow 'bad' so we have to disassociate (in this case crochet) in order for it to be palatable to 'modern' folks?

I don't think they are inferring it's bad. I think they are saying it's 'dated' and their book/magazine is updating it, making it modern.

I'm not a fan of the term either but it doesn't drive me nutso.

I don't expect everyone to feel as I do about this issue. I am not slamming the grannies or the previous generation, most especially since I like crocheting vintage patterns...I just feel that those that use these phrases are in oh so subtle ways, are doing just that. I am equally upset that the writer in this particular piece deemed doilies as useless...

If I'd only see this phrase once, or even twice, I wouldn't blink an eye...in fact that's just it, I didn't blink an eye the first or second time I read or heard the phrase...but it's OVERUSED now.

I am not a granny square fan, I made more than enough of them in the 70's...but I don't deride them as useless...

I am glad we don't all crochet the same things all the time...this craft has basically (in my own humble opinion) lost a decade when more stores all but stopped carrying any yarn other than acrylic and even then in some stores, for a long while, didn't carry any kind of yarn or fabric or craft materials whatsoever...that most especially in this last decade the art of crochet has risen like a Phoenix is a most wonderful thing. It's still incredibly sad to ever hear anyone say, "Oh that's a lost art" about crocheting, sewing, knitting and all other techniques that have spun off from those arts...I just went to my first Sew Expo in over 20 years and the place was packed...I think there is a truly almost like a spiritual hunger for many of us to do these kinds of things...either through learning the vintage patterns and techniques or going off and practically reinventing the craft and I have no problem whatsoever with reinventing...

Things can get dated, I get that...still, once upon a time, even with some of the more questionable fashions and objects, someone had an idea...and went with it and some people back whenever thought that idea had merit.

I learned how to make a rib ticker back in junior high home ec...my grandmother was so impressed with this basically a sweater vest pull over made out of two big granny squares that I ended up making one for every sister and cousin I had for Christmas presents. The good news was that it was my first wearable and led to me making a lot of other wearables via crocheting, knitting and sewing. The bad news was that it planted a seed of resentment towards the poor granny square...but I've never totally abandoned the granny square because it has it's own usefulness for various projects. I subscribe to Red Heart on Facebook and the other day they had a reissue of the rib tickler pattern but I think they call it something else now.

It's just one of those phrases, again, that has been overused to the point that I just don't think the writers really think about what they are really conveying. At it's worst, it sounds sexist, it sounds like there is nothing of value in anything from the past and it conveys a type of grandmother who many contemporary grandmothers can't begin to relate to, good or bad. My grandmother who taught me to crochet rarely wore dresses, never sat in a rocking chair knitting or crocheting with her hair up in a bun...and even before she passed away at the age of 84, her hair was salt and pepper, but never all white.

I met a lady at the sewing expo that said, "I'm 75 years old, I still work a couple of days a week, I've got scores of grandchildren and I thought that when I became a grandmother, I'd wear sensible shoes, a house dress and have my hair up in a bun sitting in a rocking chair doing hand quilting...obviously that didn't happen..."

I feel about this phrase the way I actually felt about the granny squares..."Is this all there is?" Was the granny square the be all and end off of crochet? Of course not...and surely there's more than one way to convey the message that crochet is more than just one skill set.

There have been countless threads here about how crocheters get teased about how they are doing something that grandmothers do...and that's bad enough. These phrases are just another aspect of that mindset, even when the writer is trying to convey that are many avenues to crochet right now.

Yep, sometimes the insensitivity of non-crocheters can get a tad annoying. Of all the crafts that I indulge in, the most difficult item I have worked on has been thread crochet doilies. Everything about them screams skill....finding good quality thread, learning the proper tensions, complicated pattern repeats, working the "cramps" out of your fingers" (ugh!). Even the finishing off takes some real concentration.

I learned to crochet from my mom who learned from her mom. We all began by making thread doilies. When yarn entered my life I thought, "my goodness, this is pure fun". Even though I do more yarn crochet than thread now, I still go back to thread when I need a "lace fix" in my life.

My granny definitely crocheted and I sure wish I had have her talent. She used size 50/80 thread and size 14-16 hook. I still have those hooks but I sure can't turn out the elegant and almost gossamer work that she produced.

Nope, my crochet is certainly not "granny's crochet"; mine is not near as good....smiling and dreaming.

If I'd only see this phrase once, or even twice, I wouldn't blink an eye...in fact that's just it, I didn't blink an eye the first or second time I read or heard the phrase...but it's OVERUSED.

I totally agree with that.

What irks me is the idea that anything associated with grandma, grandpa, mom, or dad is somehow 'bad' so we have to disassociate (in this case crochet) in order for it to be palatable to 'modern' folks? Huh? Hey, those oldsters got more than a few things right or we wouldn't even be here having this discussion! Since we're talking about crochet specifically, no question, patterns and yarn have changed since my Grandmas' day, but I bet we enjoy the craft just the same as they did.

It's really hypocritical the way Madison Avenue uses these types of images...if they want to convey good nostalgia like for baked goods that "taste just like grandma use to make" they pull out the same type of grandma...white hair, wire rimmed glasses, apron, blah, blah, blah...big smile handing a cookie to their little grandchildren...

If they want to push the more modern of whatever, then it's, "not your dad's Oldsmobile, or not your grandfather's Model T..." or whatever...

It just makes me think, "What the heck's wrong with (fill in the blank...)" rather than, "Oh wow, look at this upgrade?"

I just bought a brand new sewing machine that has more whistles and bells over my last machine...I'm excited as all get out over it...but at the same time, sitting in my living room in an antique Singer machine...I see beauty in both. I'm not sitting here thinking, "It's not my mom's or my grandmother's or my great grandmother's sewing machine...those were a piece of crap..."

By the way, neither of my "grannies" even knew how to crochet! :lol

My grandmother didn't know how to knit or if she did, she must have hated it...I don't know for sure. She was a remarkable seamstress though, designed and made her own uniforms to wear in her job as a dental hygentist...she could cook and bake, but cooking for her was totally practical...she was Semi-Scratch before the name was coined this last decade. Most things came from a box with her. She was an adult in the middle of WWII and was a feminist even though I don't think she ever regarded herself as such.

The things I wanted to learn how to do, she didn't teach me...others did or I taught myself. But she did teach me a few basics here and there...she got me started with crocheting...but past hand stitching hems on skirts and pants, didn't teach me about sewing...

At best she sparked interest, whether that was her intention or not.

I just remember back in the early '90's I was in my kitchen making my first pumpkin pie from scratch and getting a phone call from her asking what I was doing. When I told her that I was making a pumpkin pie from scratch, she flat out told me I was wasting my time. She put little value in "the old ways..."

Still she sparked an interest.

Yep, sometimes the insensitivity of non-crocheters can get a tad annoying. Of all the crafts that I indulge in, the most difficult item I have worked on has been thread crochet doilies. Everything about them screams skill....finding good quality thread, learning the proper tensions, complicated pattern repeats, working the "cramps" out of your fingers" (ugh!). Even the finishing off takes some real concentration.

I learned to crochet from my mom who learned from her mom. We all began by making thread doilies. When yarn entered my life I thought, "my goodness, this is pure fun". Even though I do more yarn crochet than thread now, I still go back to thread when I need a "lace fix" in my life.

My granny definitely crocheted and I sure wish I had have her talent. She used size 50/80 thread and size 14-16 hook. I still have those hooks but I sure can't turn out the elegant and almost gossamer work that she produced.

Nope, my crochet is certainly not "granny's crochet"; mine is not near as good....smiling and dreaming.

Wow!

I totally agree with that.

I know I've written a lot of words in this thread, but in a nutshell, that's all I was trying to say...

Last week I was in Florida visiting my uncle who lives in a housing area that is for adults 55 and older. At their clubhouse was a free newspaper about senior type activities. Several articles referred to older women as "women of a certain age." I thought that was rather mysterious sounding and vowed to refer to myself that way next year when I turn 55. As far as the "not your grandmas crochet" I just look at it as making fun of the narrow mind folks who think crochet is only for white-headed grandmas.

Archived