Do you alter your hooks?

Faithy

After I started crocheting again I noticed how my hands would hurt and started looking into methods to help with that. I found suggestions to use pencil/pen rubber grips, but was disappointed that with a tube and grip they didn't seem to stay on very well. So I went to my old fix it fallback, Florist tape.

All I do is wrap the part of the hook that will be covered by the grip in florist tape. You can wrap it thinly for larger hooks and thickly for smaller hooks. The tape is very cheap. last roll I bought was $1.39, it lasts forever and is good for lots of stuff. The tape sticks to itself and molds to the shape of whatever you are wrapping. It gives the hook enough bulk and something not smooth to grip so the rubber grip will stay on. It also adds extra cushion which is nice with the metal hooks.

So do you alter your hooks? If so, How?

post-44424-135897606536_thumb.jpg

post-44424-135897606539_thumb.jpg

My regular hooks, no. I used to alter my hooks when I used Boye, but after I switched to the bamboo-handled Bates hooks I haven't felt a need to change anything on them.

I did make polymer clay handles for my thread hooks, but that's because I haven't bought any of the Bates bamboo + Steelite hooks yet. Soon, hopefully :)

The only way my pencil gellies stay in place is if I use the blue foam under it. I have that on all my thread hooks. Now that I'm using the bamboo handle also I find I don't need the foam or the gelly grip anymore.

wow, note to self, pick up roll of florist tape! I have used long thin pieces of that shelf liner (rubbery with holes in it,) to cut thin in long strips, and wrapped it and then even used a rubber band to keep it on! I love the florist tape idea, and while out tomorrow, will try to stop in and get some! The rubbery shelf stuff works, good padding so will put that on first, then wrap with florist tape, ill post how it goes, lol thanks so much for this idea! oh, and i mostly use clover hooks, I like them the best!

I've never altered my hooks, but after a full day of crocheting, I know my hands are hurting from holding the thin little hooks. I may have to borrow your florist tape suggestion and alter some hooks. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I take the guts out of an old ink-pen. The plain non-clickable pens.. Then i cut 2 little pieces of rubber band and push the hook in at the same time with the rubber band pieces. They help keep it tight. I do this to keep the back end of the crochet hook from digging into the palm of my hand.

I have a set of the Ergonomic hooks with interchangeable heads...well after awhile, they would "loosen" while I was crocheting.....it had two handles, so I took the hook sizes I used most often, G and H hook heads and super glued them in the handle.

• 1 month later...

I use the pencil grips and sports tape method (from Crochet Geek/Teresa) It's especially good when you are switching between regular size hook and steels. No matter the hook size they all feel the same in my hand.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g46/Sea-Era/Crochet/HookGrips.jpg

I use to use the Comfort Grip Crochet grips, but recently I covered my hooks in polymer clay. I did a lot of searching and youtube watching to learn how. I now have B thru K covered in polymer clay and plan on doing all my steel hooks this weekend. Then I'll have to sew a new crochet hook case for them to fit in! :)

My polymer clay hooks

Size stamped in the end of the hooks

My husband found a roll of black tape at a yard sale that turned out to be the "stuff" they wrap around tennis grips. I love it! I used to use masking tape, but the oil from my fingers eventually made it "gooey"!:( I love the idea of florist tape:clap--never considered that!!

Ok, next question--how do you mark the sizes on your hooks, now that we've covered them up?!:think

I used clover soft touch hooks which are very comfortable to use. My other

hooks are various types of wood. These actually warm your hands as you

work for hours without any hand cramping. I donated all metal and plastic

hooks years age.

Archived