2011 Stashbusting CAL

CLLinda

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to be going nowhere fast. I haven't gained any yarn, but I haven't gotten rid of any either. This SOTM block continues to stall.

0 WTD/-68 YTD

Here are the scores for W/E May 7:

Gold Medal Winner:

Braxxi +8

Silver Medal Winners:

fc1123 +4

MouseCLP +4

Bronze Medal Winners:

BigPinkPolkaDot +2

cshort +2

Ellie 13 +2

Also on the positive side:

CLLinda +1

Holding steady:

Crafty Witch 0

saffronangel 0

tracyleigh 0

Mothers of adopted orphans:

Shell Lee -10

Turtlelvr -13

cris -14

dragonpuck -15

pineknott -22

yarngeek -40

FrLopLady -54

PBLKNP -60

walker1021 -81

And returning Shoot the Moon Winner:

greyhoundgrandma -106

I hope I didn't miss anyone! Happy crocheting with all that new yarn!

Wow! Looks like most everyone adopted a lot of yarn this past week. Hope everyone has fun playing in their stashes!! (is that even a word? :think)

Wow! What a week of stashbusting! See how important it is to post your scores. You can be a winner of a medal with a low score some weeks.

Now let's all try to bust some stash this week.

:manyheart

I'm just checking scores now and am shocked to see I tied for the bronze medal with a +2! Wow! I'm so honored! I never won a medal before! Thank you! Thank you! Congrats to everyone -- for medals, for busting stash, for holding steady and for caring for their new bundles of joy! Bless you!

I'm hoping my scores will be better this week, as I'm going to be giving away some yarn to a friend for a class she's teaching down at the Y. :c9

Used up 4 skeins of cotton yesterday, but going to HL, Joann's and Michael's with Mom today so that will give me a negative by the end of the day. :lol

:turtle:vheart

I am just glad...kinda..that Hobby Lobby is so far away for me. As long as I can stay out of Joann's and Michaels I should do pretty good this week....maybe :rofl:hook

I stayed out of Michael's, as for the other 2 stores...Lets just say I need to take 28 points off my score. :lol

I stayed out of Michael's, as for the other 2 stores...Lets just say I need to take 28 points off my score. :lol

What???!!!??? You went shopping with out me!!!???? :rolleyes

What???!!!??? You went shopping with out me!!!???? :rolleyes

Was going to take Mom, but a close friend of her's passed away yesterday. :( So Bruce went with me. With him I make him pay for stuff so I can use twice the coupons! :lol

The Special Olympics Scarf people just came out with their new colors, and I found them at Michaels! :devil

Oh I didn't need THAT reminder :lol Now have to go find the yarn names. I figured with all the RHS yarn I had for sure I'd have some. Found one skein of navy :rolleyes

I had computer problems and couldn't post last night:

I bought 3 skeins, but I also used up 2 skeins. I'm so frustrated! :( I started a shell top for my best friend's mother's birthday using a skein of paton's silk/bamboo in the dark purple. When I ran out to buy more, I couldn't find any! I was able to find the brand in only one of the 5 stores I went to, and they only had it in 2 colors!

So, I picked up a bunch of skeins in the light purple (I already had 3 skeins at home, I think 6 should work) and I'm going to use the dark purple as a trim around the edges of the top. Good thing the pattern works up quickly. I did 10" in about 3 hours!

I had computer problems and couldn't post last night:

I bought 3 skeins, but I also used up 2 skeins. I'm so frustrated! :( I started a shell top for my best friend's mother's birthday using a skein of paton's silk/bamboo in the dark purple. When I ran out to buy more, I couldn't find any! I was able to find the brand in only one of the 5 stores I went to, and they only had it in 2 colors!

So, I picked up a bunch of skeins in the light purple (I already had 3 skeins at home, I think 6 should work) and I'm going to use the dark purple as a trim around the edges of the top. Good thing the pattern works up quickly. I did 10" in about 3 hours!

Can you share what pattern you are using?

I am just glad...kinda..that Hobby Lobby is so far away for me. As long as I can stay out of Joann's and Michaels I should do pretty good this week....maybe :rofl:hook

I can do enough damage at Wal-Mart so it's really good I'm 1 1/2 hours away from the closest real craft store!

I've been using scrap :yarn to make turtles and used the last ball (+1). Now I'll have to start using skeins. I have enough :yarn, but I won't use a whole skein (might roll 1 down though). 5 turtles done 15 more to go :cheer.

WTD: + 2 YTD: + 74

Ellie 13

Can you share what pattern you are using?

I think it's just a free-form pattern as I'm making it up as I go along, but it's a simple box tank top with a square neckline and shoulder straps instead of sleeves. the Shell is a simple 15" wide x 20" long including the shoulder straps at 1.5" wide. I make 2 of them and sew them together. (my friend's mother is a bit on the wee side)

I'm using a stitch thats:

(DC,ch,DC,ch,DC=shell stitch)in one ch, sk 2 ch, sc, sk 2 ch, repeat (the next row has the sc in the 2nd DC of the shell below it, and the shell stitch in the sc in between the two shells.) I haven't decided what kind of trim I'm doing with the dark purple thread, maybe something in the picot-trim theme.

I used up a skein and 2 balls. If I get the tote I'm working on done that will be another 4-5 skeins (cotton), but I have to finish that first!

I'm at the end of making a bib, so that yarn is almost gone. And I found a scarf project in the car, and I worked on it a bunch today. I just want to use up these skeins. Sometimes, it seems like it takes a long time to use up a skein.

:manyheart

ok, so I have a question - could any newly bought bundle of yarn be considered a skein? Those more high end yarns are a little smaller in yardage than, let's say a Caron's Simply Soft.

Also, for some reason I've found myself with 6 cones of fine yarn that I bought from someone to help them out. How many skeins would a cone be? Or those Pound of Love yarns?

Obviously I'm not counting the inches, but just wondering if a bundle is a skein is a +2?

Archived