2011 Stashbusting CAL

CLLinda

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all my traveling the past 3 days, about 11 hours total riding time, I was able to use up 4 skeins of yarn on a scarf and 2 balls on a small bag. So my score is looking kinda nice this week. Now to stay out of the craft stores so it stays that way.:ohdear

I found a new LYS in town yesterday! HAD to stop in of course! Purchased some to play with. I have always been allergic to wool, but this lady showed me fibers that don't feel all "prickly" on my skin!!! :yay

Let's see. I bought Rowan Kidsilk Haze (70% Super Kid Mohair/30% Silk), Rowan Fine Lace (80% Baby Suri Alpaca/20% Fine Merino Wool) and Fantastic Knitting Zephyr Lace Weight (50% Merino/50% Tussah Silk). I'm going to make scarves, but I cannot get over how soft they are! I have NEVER EVER been able to have anything with wool in it. :c9

So for those of you who can't work with wool but want to, you may want to keep looking. There's some that are really soft! :yes

My understanding is that many people who think they're allergic to wool are really allergic to lanolin. If that can be stripped out sufficiently, then those people can work with the wool. I wonder how much superwash yarn has been that thoroughly del-lanolinized. Merino is a breed of sheep, btw, so the merino fiber is wool. Mohair is from a goat, and alpaca, well, they're like a smaller, slimmer version of a llama, so neither of those has any lanolin in them.

My understanding is that many people who think they're allergic to wool are really allergic to lanolin. If that can be stripped out sufficiently, then those people can work with the wool. I wonder how much superwash yarn has been that thoroughly del-lanolinized. Merino is a breed of sheep, btw, so the merino fiber is wool. Mohair is from a goat, and alpaca, well, they're like a smaller, slimmer version of a llama, so neither of those has any lanolin in them.

Interesting...

I think Tracey is having issues with the itchiness of the yarn. I know she can't do RHSS either.

:turtle:vheart

I resisted everything at Wal-Mart yesterday except the four 5-oz skeins of RH fleck that were $1.00 each. Now -5.

Cold and windy here. Glad I'm able to stay in today.

:yesGood thing you have some new buddies to play with!:yarn:yarn:yarn:yarn:yes

:manyheart

;)

Thank you so much for that information! That just might be it. :yay I was just so happy to be able to touch something wool without the skin irritation. :c9

Interesting...

I think Tracey is having issues with the itchiness of the yarn. I know she can't do RHSS either.

Yeah, Sue, I have issues alright! :loco:confused:rofl But seriously, you are right. I was glad to find that I could use Bernat Super Value in lieu of RRSS. :)

I still have trouble with "washable wool" though not as much as regular wool.

I have never tried the Alpaca/llama/goat - most is too expensive for what I make.

The lanolin is what makes it soft- so they can't take it completely out or the yard would be "scratchy"

I still have trouble with "washable wool" though not as much as regular wool.

I have never tried the Alpaca/llama/goat - most is too expensive for what I make.

The lanolin is what makes it soft- so they can't take it completely out or the yard would be "scratchy"

and I ran out of Black( major sin) so -13 at the moment, making a shawl with 2 oz skeins so I hope to be under double digits by Saturday :hook

Turned a skein into a ball. Stupid Bernat Handicrafter Cotton. Almost as bad as pounders!! :lol

Yeah, Sue, I have issues alright! :loco:confused:rofl But seriously, you are right. I was glad to find that I could use Bernat Super Value in lieu of RRSS. :)

I was being nice...for a change. :lol

I have some wool that's really soft. I just might send it to you (to make up for the TON of yarn you sent me). REVENGE! :devil

Rolled a skein into a ball. I'm at a +3 for the week, so far. And Knitting/Crochet group is tomorrow! I'm happy it's friday!

I was being nice...for a change. :lol

I have some wool that's really soft. I just might send it to you (to make up for the TON of yarn you sent me). REVENGE! :devil

Oh, I know that!:hug .... And oh no! You know what they say about paybacks? :eek But then, I do so love yarn. :manyheart

I didn't get back here all week. So I'll add my great :yay score to this week. Everyone in town went :loco because they predicted :2snow (we got a few inches Sat. night). The market was so busy I had to work late 4 nights. I was too tired to go to the library, so I sat and :crocheting instead. Last week I gave 6 skeins (3 were pounders) to the church ladies (+12), used 3 balls (+3) and rolled 2 skeins down (+2) :cheer:clap. If I had gotten here in time, I might have gotten a medal :sigh. This week I went to Michaels and got some eyes, plastic canvas and 4 skeins of :yarn (-8). My score is still good though.

WTD: + 9 YTD: + 157

Ellie 13

Posting now, as we still have NO POWER at home, so I won't be able to later...

I didn't get much done this week, but managed to use up a skein, so:

Stashbuster Total: WTD +2 YTD -27

Archived