Denim Quilt and Shams

JunieMarie

This is the quilt and shams that I made out of old blue jeans for my bed. I collected jeans for a couple of years and then finally tackled the project! The shams took me longer than I thought, I love the result. The quilt is just right for summer and winter both. I backed it with flannel and used a lightweight batting. I also made one for my best friend, but she took it before I could get any pictures of it!

post-6188-135897584445_thumb.jpg

post-6188-135897584448_thumb.jpg

Beautiful! I made one of those before but I didn't do the shams.

I have been saving jeans for awhile now, but was sort of thinking about doing some small pads for the humane society animals instead of another quilt, but after seeing yours I might change my mind.

Would you be willing to tell me the dimensions of your quilt and the block size?

Just for an idea if I wanted to get started again.

I'd like to do one for my grandson and an afghan in his favorite variegated yarn of camoflage would be gorgeous for his bedroom.

This is great! :cheer

I was saving jeans to make a quilt for a long time, too....then I got to the point that I didn't have a place for the boxes anymore and I couldn't start quilting because of space issues, so I gave them away to the local mission.

But I would really like to make a denim quilt someday! I'll have to start saving jeans again when I finally get a craft room. It's on my list! ;)

I love your quilt and shams!!:manyheart I also made a quilt 3 years ago but did not make the shams. :( I did not use any batting as the quilt was so heavy!! I chose a fabric that had little bandanas in red and navy for the backing. It turned out pretty and my husband loves it.. I had never seeing a jean quilt before, and in a trip to Utah, a relative had made a few of them and I just felt in love with them. Came home with about 10 pairs of jeans in an extra suitcases. (That was before the airlines charged for the 2nd one!!:lol )

I began collecting jeans to make another one but last month I went ahead and gave them all to a charity van that came collecting clothing in my neighborhood. After seeing yours, now I wish that I had kept them.. My mistake was that I made my quilt with 6" squares!!!! so I got tired of making the strips and was NOT looking forward to cut all those squares again!! I like your idea better.:ty for sharing!!

Thank you all so much for the wonderful comments! Ya'll make me blush.....:blush

Beautiful! I made one of those before but I didn't do the shams.

I have been saving jeans for awhile now, but was sort of thinking about doing some small pads for the humane society animals instead of another quilt, but after seeing yours I might change my mind.

Would you be willing to tell me the dimensions of your quilt and the block size?

Just for an idea if I wanted to get started again.

I'd like to do one for my grandson and an afghan in his favorite variegated yarn of camoflage would be gorgeous for his bedroom.

The quilt is a queen size. I cut the squares 8in x 8in, that included the 1/4 in seam allowance on all sides. It's 12 squares x 13 squares, so it's 90in x 97.5in.

This is great! :cheer

I was saving jeans to make a quilt for a long time, too....then I got to the point that I didn't have a place for the boxes anymore and I couldn't start quilting because of space issues, so I gave them away to the local mission.

But I would really like to make a denim quilt someday! I'll have to start saving jeans again when I finally get a craft room. It's on my list! ;)

I bought my first house 3 months ago, and I made sure I had a craft room. I absolutely love it! I spend most of my time in there. I don't know how I ever organized everything without one (oh yeah, I wasn't organized.....:lol)

Archived