masculine poncho

bythehook

I asked my husband (BIG Clint Eastwood fan), and he says Yea.:)) My seven-year old son has been wanting a poncho, I would make one of those! Thanks for sharing.:clap

Tina

Thanks for the feedback, Threeolives. It's done in hdc's already. I agree that it needs a smaller hook, and maybe it would even need to be done in a sc instead of hdc. Tell SP thanks for the masculine input. I really appreciate it.

The striping is great, Dot! My husband just got a new computer toy or I could get him in here to check it out. :D! I agree with 3olives and would vote for a tighter stitch to get it more like a woven look. :fluffy

Very nice!

My son who is 4 has been pestering me to make him a poncho since Christmas and I have been trying to convince him (and finally have ) to accept a serape type affair (rectangular look like yours).

I've got the yarn to do it and started it last night - need to measure my starting row against him. It was all his choice of yarn colors and I'm afraid it will not be as sophisticated as yours, Dot!

Yours is indeed very masculine in the colors and the shape is what I had in mind for my son's. My neck will be a bit different though. It looks like yours is shorter across the arms than what I had planned. I was going to make it quite wide, from wrist to wrist - is that going to be too wide for a child?

anyway, well done Dot. Oh, I can see what the other ladies are saying about the tightness, but I don't think it looks lacy.

I started mine with a 5.00mm hook and am using DK yarn. I thought I'd use sc but maybe should experiment with hdc too?

Thank you, Tiff and Kathleen, I'm getting ready to post the pattern and I think I'll work up another poncho using a smaller hook to see how it looks. I'll post the results as soon as I'm finished. I appreciate your input.

Thank you so much Karen. I bet your son's poncho will look great! I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of it when you're done. I don't think it will be too wide doing it the way you're doing it. You have the advantage of having a model right there with you to measure by. I had to use a shirt and I only made it as wide as short sleeves would be. I don't know if it will work on a real person or not.

I'm going to make up another one as I test the pattern and I'll use a smaller hook. I'll post pictures when I'm finished. Thanks for your input.

don't kill the messenger:

dh said the fringe has got to go and not be 'holey' more solid

and 7 year old said "boys do not wear ponchos" so i told him that this one is for a boy, not triangle like girls.... he said "mom, don't make me one"

so, seems like it wouldn't fly in my house... :shrug

(my kids go to a very fashion aware, haughty taughty (snobby) school, so he does like the tight sc skull caps... so he does let me make him those :hyper )

Wouldn't think of it! lol You have the advantage of having real people in your house to tell you what they like and don't like. I only have dolls and Spike and none of them are very fashion savvy. I appreciate your input.

I don't have men in my house (is that a blessing or a curse? not sure really :D! ) but I think it's great. I do agree with the others that said that the stitching needs to be closer together. The less it looks crocheted, the better, when it comes to men. :wink

You rock Dot! :rock I always love what you do!

HI dot, i love that poncho, and it is definetly masculine, but i also agree, maybe tighter stitch(just cause men are so funny when it comes to "crocheted" items:rotfl , and you are going to share this pattern:? :? WOW what a amazing woman you are:not :not :not :not :not vicki:lol

Dot..I just love the new style of this poncho.

I can envision it like this.....

maybe a smaller hook....I like the idea of a tight stitch for a man's poncho...maybe done in some warm, rich, earthtone colors.....some brighter earthtone colors for the striping....like a burnt orange...etc...you get the idea and then maybe you could switch up the striping rows by doing some in sc...for a thin line effect and other rows in hdc to offset the thin lines....the neckline....how bout a v-neck?? Men wear v-necks don't they? For the fringe...I say keep it. I think secretly inside every man he know's he just loves fringe! Who doesn't love fringe? :cheer2 Can you tell I am a fringe lover....I KNOW my husband loves it....whenever he is modelling my shawls for picture taking...he likes to spin just once around and watch the fringe shimmy.....he would kill me if he knew I just said that :mad

Anywho...can you tell I got all excited to see your newest creation?

I can't wait to see what else you can come up with.

Good Luck....may the force be with you! LMAO

Ro-

Archived