Our House [Archive 5]

Super Granny

I love the v stitch, too. What colors are you thinking about using?:yarn

I ended up buying Caron Pound in Espresso, Lace and Cream. I'm thinking of holding the three together and using an L or M hook. Since it's for kids, I don't want huge holes. I'm hoping that the slightly smaller hook will help keep the holes small.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning Ladies,

I am FINALLY done with the flag ghan!! :cheer Here it is.....

th_100_1197.jpg

th_100_1198.jpg

th_100_1199.jpg

Tabby your afghan is beautiful. What a finish!

I have been very slack no saltines this week so far. Need to :kickmyself . Maybe today.

Has anyone doen any saltines and projects here using variegated yarn?? I have some left over from an afghan I am making and am contemplating using it in a quilt-ghan of some sort. Starting to think about this :yes

Yes, I used a variegated blue as part of my Lady of the Lotus quiltghan. It worked very well for the effect I was trying to achieve. An impressionistic quiltghan sounds really lovely.

Well, okay.. I have to admit the idea of joining a ton of little squares sounds a tad bit tedious to me since my track record with finishing square block projects isn't very good. Of course, the ones I never finished were items I intended to keep, while the few granny square projects I did finish were for gifts.

However, I am excited to see all these quilt-ghan patterns because I do love quilts.. I'm just pretty hopeless with a sewing machine. (Trust me on this one. I have many talents, so I'm not just selling myself short here or anything... Sewing just is not one of those talents. Hehe.)

So, I'm challenging myself to make one for my best friend's wedding in December of next year. She's going to look at the patterns on the website and let me know which one they both like.

I figure if I pace myself between other projects and schoolwork.. The 22 months or so I'll have by the time they pick a pattern and I go by the yarn should be enough to actually get one done.

Plus, if I do this as part of this CAL (my first since I am, obviously, new to these boards) that should be the motivation I need to *not* decide I'm sick of starting new squares or sick of stitching them together... And I'll actually finish.

That sounds like a really achievable timeline and we'll all cheer you on. Welcome to the group!

th_100_1197.jpg

Tabby, it's glorious!

I ended up buying Caron Pound in Espresso, Lace and Cream. I'm thinking of holding the three together and using an L or M hook. Since it's for kids, I don't want huge holes. I'm hoping that the slightly smaller hook will help keep the holes small.

Those colors sound yummy together.

We left Hickory Knot State Resort Park at noon and got home at 3:30. There were 29 of us at the reunion and a good time was had by all. The corsages, candles, and belated Christmas gifts all went over very well. It's nice to be home again. I worked on a snowflake pattern that ended up being too big to be an ornament. It's more like a small doily. I'll have to count up the saltines, but at least I got a start on the next quiltghan. Worked on my purple scarf and finished up a preemie afghan. I also totally blew my diet and paid for it last evening. I'm better today, although my guts still are tender and touchy about what I put in them. I already have plans for what to take along next time to help avoid having a recurrence.

Val, those colors will be perfect together! :crocheting

Denise, Yay for making so much progress on Miss Angel. :cheer I've added 97 solids and 17 bi-colors to your total. :yes

Hi Pauline!

Linda, so sorry you got sick last night and hope you're much better now. :hug Glad you all are home safely.

th_100_1197.jpg

th_100_1198.jpg

th_100_1199.jpg

Oh Tabby! That came out fabulous! Great job! :clap

Cara, I really like your February scarf pattern. :cheer Your site looks great and thanks for the pattern!

I'm off to the post office and store. It's a chilly, cloudy day so I think crocheting is in order for this afternoon. :hook

Aww, thank you dear :hug And of course, you're always welcome :manyheart Seems like it's a little chilly here today too. The heat keeps coming on. Guess I could always just check the temp :blush

Hi all

I have been busy on my angel, she now has a face and arms.:)

Mary please add 97 solids and 17 bi for me.:yay

Hi Denise! Great progress on the angel :h5 Stop in to say hello when you can :hug

We left Hickory Knot State Resort Park at noon and got home at 3:30. There were 29 of us at the reunion and a good time was had by all. The corsages, candles, and belated Christmas gifts all went over very well. It's nice to be home again. I worked on a snowflake pattern that ended up being too big to be an ornament. It's more like a small doily. I'll have to count up the saltines, but at least I got a start on the next quiltghan. Worked on my purple scarf and finished up a preemie afghan. I also totally blew my diet and paid for it last evening. I'm better today, although my guts still are tender and touchy about what I put in them. I already have plans for what to take along next time to help avoid having a recurrence.

Sounds like a great time was had by all...except your poor tummy :hug Hope it's all straight again now :hug

Well, I'm a bit behind aren't I? Nothing unusual there. Didn't sleep well last night and slept until almost 2. Then I had laundry and a bunch of other stuff to do. Plus, I spent an hour reading this morning.

Now it's time for supper, the last of the laundry out of the dryer. Hopefully after supper I'll be working on the angel :hook

Mary - please add 10 solids and 11 bi-colors for me please. Almost enough saltines for the first block except for the fact that they aren't the right color combination. :lol :lol :lol

Linda ~ Hi! I've recorded your squares. :) Are these for the Snowflake?

I'm reporting 25 solids and 13 bi-colors. I'm joining in blocks this time - 3 blocks across and 5 rows per block...about ready to start the 6th block and that will finish 10 rows. :hook

DH just got home. He's working in Dallas and Fort Worth this week, so will be home each night for a change. :yes

See you tomorrow. :manyheart

Linda ~ Hi! I've recorded your squares. :) Are these for the Snowflake?

Yup! It's officially started. It will require 9 six by six blocks of saltines. A lot less than the 20 six by six blocks in the Painted Desert.

I've been staying away from message boards today so I can get my take-home midterm finished. Right now is a brief brain break.

I plan on going yarn shopping this coming weekend. There was just no good way to try and buy yarn while working on this exam this weekend, even though it would have been nice to try and hit some sales. Grad student budgets aren't very large. However... That is what "no dye lot" yarn projects are for. I can, theoretically, buy the yarn in small batches as I need it. This is assuming, of course, there aren't any more bizzare changes in the way Caron manufactures their yarn.

Speaking of which.. Has anyone actually contacted Caron about problems with their yarn before? I *really* need to deal with them because the last several skeins I purchased were just terrible on the quality. They were miss-wound or something because all throughout I've kept coming on sections where the four strands are *not* the same length, and there's one strand all bunched up and loose around the other three. Sometimes I can sort of work through it, but sometimes it's just so bad I have to cut that section of yarn.

This hasn't been isolated to one skein.. Nor has it been isolated to one color.. Nor has it been isolated to purchases from one store. I've never had this problem before, but the last 6 months or so I'd say 80-90% of the Caron SS I've bought has been like this.

Hello to everyone :hi Hope you are all well. :hug

Havent done anymore saltines as Im busy catching up with other squares I have to do.

Hi all

I have been busy on my angel, she now has a face and arms.:)

Mary please add 97 solids and 17 bi for me.:yay

Howdy Denise, great progress on your Angel and its nice to see ya in here. :hug

Im glad you had a great time.

I've been staying away from message boards today so I can get my take-home midterm finished. Right now is a brief brain break.

I plan on going yarn shopping this coming weekend. There was just no good way to try and buy yarn while working on this exam this weekend, even though it would have been nice to try and hit some sales. Grad student budgets aren't very large. However... That is what "no dye lot" yarn projects are for. I can, theoretically, buy the yarn in small batches as I need it. This is assuming, of course, there aren't any more bizzare changes in the way Caron manufactures their yarn.

Speaking of which.. Has anyone actually contacted Caron about problems with their yarn before? I *really* need to deal with them because the last several skeins I purchased were just terrible on the quality. They were miss-wound or something because all throughout I've kept coming on sections where the four strands are *not* the same length, and there's one strand all bunched up and loose around the other three. Sometimes I can sort of work through it, but sometimes it's just so bad I have to cut that section of yarn.

This hasn't been isolated to one skein.. Nor has it been isolated to one color.. Nor has it been isolated to purchases from one store. I've never had this problem before, but the last 6 months or so I'd say 80-90% of the Caron SS I've bought has been like this.

Yes its annoying when you buy yarn and that happens. I have had yarn where halfway through the skein there are knots and that shouldnt happen.

Good morning. I'm awake, but that's about it so far.

Good luck on the final, Jess. It's frustrating when the yarn is a mess, but I haven't had too many problems with my yarn, but I don't use the Caron SS very much. It's too slippery for my taste. I would definitely contact them about the problems. If you have some of the stuff you've had to cut out I'd have that available to send to them as proof of the problems, too.

I think today will be an angel and snowflake day for me. Happy crocheting! :hook

Good Morning, ladies. I have a dr.'s appointment at 10 and am about ready to go, so I may crochet for a while. :)

Linda, it's going to be fun to see your Snowflake ghan come together.:hook

Karen, 15 more added. Is this for another wonderful 9 patch? :yarn

Donna, 19 added for you. :crocheting

Jess, that's too bad about the yarn. :( I think some people have called and reported problems and received replacement yarn. Worth a try, anyway. :yes

Hi Wendy!

Have a good morning/evening everyone. Mine will be better after I leave the doctor's office. :lol

Good Morning, ladies. I have a dr.'s appointment at 10 and am about ready to go, so I may crochet for a while. :)Mine will be better after I leave the doctor's office. :lol

Good luck at the doctor's.

Just dropping in to say good morning ladies! Lots to do around here...which means no time for my hooks and yarn:angry but we close on the house Friday :clap

Yeah, Erin!

:waving Hi everyone! Took some time out to read up on the posts. You ladies really inspire me. It is so good to know that other's go through time challenges also and to see pictures of other's finished WIP's. My crochet time is sooo limited.....

BUT,, I've gotten my Christmas Granny strips slip-stitched, now just to finish putting them together and crochet my ruffle and I will finally have something finished to post!!! :cheer

Seems like I'm still in the crib while everyone else is graduating college...:D

I've got to go now to finish DH's job interview stuff, then get ready to pick DD up from school where we will drive 2 more hours to take a horse somewhere and bring another back. Never a dull moment here! But maybe,,,just maybe- I can get those strips connected! :hook

Thanks for putting up with me here and wanted you to know I'm not just "stalking" but being really encouraged by all! Have a Happy :hook Day!!!!!

Good luck with the exams :hug I'd contact Caron if I were you. Poor yarn quality is unacceptable and they won't know about it unless some calls it to their attention. Many times they will replace the yarn for you as well :yes

Have a good morning/evening everyone. Mine will be better after I leave the doctor's office. :lol

Hope your doctor's visit went well :hug

Just dropping in to say good morning ladies! Lots to do around here...which means no time for my hooks and yarn:angry but we close on the house Friday :clap

Hooray!! :clap

Thanks for putting up with me here and wanted you to know I'm not just "stalking" but being really encouraged by all! Have a Happy :hook Day!!!!!

No putting up with you involved around here. :D We welcome all lurkers, part-timers and permanent residents :lol Can't wait to see your Christmas ghan :clap

Howdy Linda! :hi How are you feeling these days? Tummy back to normal yet?

Hi, Cara. Yup. Tummies feeling good. I'm being extra careful for a few days, but I'm much, much better. I'm finishing up the pattern I dreamed up over the weekend. It was supposed to be a snowflake ornament, but ended up over 7 inches across, so I guess it's a small snowflake shaped doily instead. :lol :lol :lol It's pretty, so I'm not all that upset.

No putting up with you involved around here. :D We welcome all lurkers, part-timers and permanent residents :lol Can't wait to see your Christmas ghan :clap

;) Thank you Cara! You are so kind. Loading up to go get the horse now........but I'm taking my crochet !:lol

Archived