The Hook Whisperer

Here's the deal. I've read and experienced directly that crochet very often takes a back seat to knitting, especially at LYSs, where you have to agree, they just don't know any better. So it occurred to me that all's need be done is a little training. You know, like training a puppy with gentle leadership and good example? And I think we can do this if we all put our heads together.... we become Hook Whisperers!

What lets do is build up this thread with suggestions for gently taming the wild LYS and bring them to the hook... so that by following the suggestions in this thread, crochet will become the first word in that trite old phrase, "knitting and crochet". Gentle, but firm moves will do it. I'll start.

How about when you visit a LYS and find there are no sample swatches in crochet. Look at this as an opportunity. Simply volunteer to make some. Start first by praising a particular yarn, then telling them gently but with confidence how beautiful it would be crocheted. If they balk, suggest that you make them a small swatch to show what you mean. Crochet right in front of them. Go slow. Let them see the magic. We know that watching crochet is like being hypnotized by a campfire.. your quiet gentle fluid motions will draw them to the hook and before they can say pearl, you'll have a beautiful example of crochet in front of them.

More suggestions?

Jimbo, I think that is a marvelous idea! I know what you mean about the hypnosis, my other half watches me crochet in complete awe. He says he's amazed by how the yarn becomes a piece of fabric with just my hook! Should I go out and come across a LYS I will give this a try!

Oh…. How fun Jimbo! Love your idea!!!

Okay…. How about this idea… next time you plan on visiting a LYS… wear something crocheted… or carry a crocheted bag. If you don’t get any interest but simply having it with you… spark the interest by picking up yarn seaming to match it to your item. You will then have the opportunity to show how beautiful crochet items can be along with their lovely knitting! J

:heart

:mug

Excellent! And how about when you go, take a hook along. My impression from my experience with LYS's is that the knitters who hang out there like to make things like scarves and shawls. And another impression I get is that knitters dont feel that crochetiers can make a nice loose stitches, so maybe a swatch with big loose stitches would open some eyes.

I also think a lot of them think only of granny squares when they think of crocheting. I often think it would be a wonderful idea for a LYS to have an ongoing class where people make individual squares toward a somewhat complicated afghan, like the 63 Squares Afghan, for instance. After all, they do have classes for people to knit squares for The Great American Afghan, so why not a class for a crocheted afghan, too?

Thankfully, we have a wonderful LYS near us that not only welcomes crocheters, but also has classes on crocheting. They carry a nice selection of hooks and books. They all oohed and aahed when I made the DROPS Crochet Cardigan last year. :crocheting

I hate to be negative but after working for years in a LYS, I discovered that the problem is that crocheters spend a lot less than knitters. Even though crocheting takes more yarn than knitting, the sales to crocheters were approximately 10% compared to knitters. We really tried to entice the crocheters, with classes, special projects, patterns but with out success. They came in for free advice (over half of the staff were crocheters) but went to the big chain stores to purchase their yarn and supplies.

LYS have to make money (just like any other business) to stay in business and if you don't spend your money there...

And another impression I get is that knitters dont feel that crochetiers can make a nice loose stitches, so maybe a swatch with big loose stitches would open some eyes.
I think people have the erroneous idea that all yarn crochet is clunky and the individual stitches are too obvious. So, i don't think that big loose stitches are going to change any minds. i think the qualities that some people think crochet lacks are things like drape and the ability of the crocheted fabric to flow over the body.

I hate to be negative but after working for years in a LYS, I discovered that the problem is that crocheters spend a lot less than knitters. Even though crocheting takes more yarn than knitting, the sales to crocheters were approximately 10% compared to knitters. We really tried to entice the crocheters, with classes, special projects, patterns but with out success. They came in for free advice (over half of the staff were crocheters) but went to the big chain stores to purchase their yarn and supplies.

LYS have to make money (just like any other business) to stay in business and if you don't spend your money there...

i have to agree, i think buying yarn and supplies in LYS is the best way to influence the stores.

Wearing our nicely-made garments is a great way to help people realize what crochet really is. Offering to make swatches is a good idea if the store is interested.

:hook

Jimbo, I think that is a marvelous idea! I know what you mean about the hypnosis, my other half watches me crochet in complete awe. He says he's amazed by how the yarn becomes a piece of fabric with just my hook! Should I go out and come across a LYS I will give this a try!

There is one in Radcliff if you ever get down this way.

*annie raises her hand*

Excuse me mr jimbo.. what's a LYS?

lol

LYS=local yarn shop. Its a privately owned shop instead of a chain.

:turtle:vheart

Most of the LYS shops in my area have Ravelry groups so I often post pictures in their groups items that I have had crocheted out of yarn that I purchased from their shops. It certainly has them going hmmmm!

I hear what you're saying and understand. However, I'm always made to feel like I'm less important than a knitter when I go to my LYS. I don't go there often because of that issue. I know other crocheters that are the same way. I have even been told when in a LYS that I shouldn't waste my time crocheting and to switch to knitting. Nope, not gonna shop there any more! :no

Ok here's another one that came up from a parallel thread in Ravelry.....

When you buy your yarn, casually explain to the clerk that you have to buy a little more because crochet takes a little more yarn than knitting. LYS's like profit and to learn they might make more from crochetiers... maybe they'll see some crochet dollar signs in the future.

And later when you've finished your to-die-for crochet masterpiece, you make a swatch from the left-over yarn. You take your beautiful work and the swatch back to the LYS to show off, and you leave the swatch for other customers to drool over.

eh?

There is one in Radcliff if you ever get down this way.

There's one in Radcliff? I had no idea!! Whereabouts? This might be good or bad. Good cause I won't have to go all the way to Louisville, bad because, well I won't have to go all the way to Louisville! LOL The distance usually keeps me from spending too much $$ but if there is one closer, I gotta check it out!

I understand what you're saying. I don't buy much yarn in LYSs when I go... but I can simply speak for myself that I don't have the funds to spend a lot of money on yarn. I also feel like I need to have a really awesome pattern in mind to justify spending a lot of money on yarn to crochet with.

When you buy your yarn, casually explain to the clerk that you have to buy a little more because crochet takes a little more yarn than knitting. LYS's like profit and to learn they might make more from crochetiers... maybe they'll see some crochet dollar signs in the future.

I am sorry, but I cannot agree with this suggestion. I think one of the myths about crochet is that it always uses more yarn than knitting. While that is true for some things, it is not always true by any means. I think talking about crochet using more yarn actually just feeds into some of the negative stereotypes about crocheting. Like they think crocheting takes more yarn, so of course crocheters are not willing to pay for LYS-type yarns.

Take in your pattern, show it off, ask for recommendations.

I, personally, only use really nice yarn for gifts and I have an alpaca breeder (distant relative) connection. I always buy from her because she throws in extras. Most of what I make are dog items, and easily laundered and durable is what you need for dogs- and that happens to be the cheap stuff. I do love going in and looking around, though, and may make a minimal purchase of something completely irresistible. I have found here, though, there are many craft stores but no one even carries yarn. I went into one the other day and asked where the yarn was- they showed me a basket by the register with two skeins of baby bernat. :|

I understand what you're saying. I don't buy much yarn in LYSs when I go... but I can simply speak for myself that I don't have the funds to spend a lot of money on yarn. I also feel like I need to have a really awesome pattern in mind to justify spending a lot of money on yarn to crochet with.

I think many of us face the same issue. Actually I am kind of glad that the closest LYS to me is an hour drive---I am not so tempted;) It's a matter of priorities and buying yarn is not always the uppermost priority. I agree, it is fun to find that special pattern , or come up with a special project idea, and then to find the special yarn to go with it :) But not every project needs a really special yarn.

to me it seems that even if I don't spend much in an LYS, if i buy something crochet-related, like a magazine even, or a skein of yarn to experiment with, and let them know that I crochet, then I am helping the LYS appreciate crochet(ers).

I've found that there are also some really well-priced yarns to be found in LYS, like Plymouth Encore and Berrocco Comfort, to name 2 I've used, and comparably priced to Caron Country . Cascade 220 would be another that is not real expensive. Usually have a better color range than the craft-store yarns and i think in general the quality is somewhat better.

LYS=local yarn shop. Its a privately owned shop instead of a chain.

:turtle:vheart

ohhhhhhh,

Well In that case I just discoverd one in my town! and I went to check it out. and most the yarn i see is found on a discountyarn shop online. so i see why she charges so much per skane, I cant aford her prices rite now but I did pick up a gift for my friend for her birthday and it was more then I would have paid for the item if i was to go to Walmart or Joanns. but to me it was worth it..

but I'd have to go and buy 1 or 2 balls at a time and it would take me ayear to get enough yarn to compleate a blanket most liekly payin the price they have on the shelf

but If Id have the chance to work there Id so go for itlol... even to just Touch and fell the yarn daily would be such a joy.. lol

I have not bought yarn from LYS because I have mostly made afghans. BUT I just learned how to make a hat and I am going to attempt socks. Once I have that down I will MOST DEF go the the LYS and buy yarn. I want to support LOCAL businesses............big box stores don't count!

I've found that there are also some really well-priced yarns to be found in LYS, like Plymouth Encore and Berrocco Comfort, to name 2 I've used, and comparably priced to Caron Country . Cascade 220 would be another that is not real expensive. Usually have a better color range than the craft-store yarns and i think in general the quality is somewhat better.

That is very true. I've seen some yarns that aren't very expensive... but I still always go to LYSs when I have no idea for a pattern in mind. It's a nasty habit.

I hear what you're saying and understand. However, I'm always made to feel like I'm less important than a knitter when I go to my LYS. I don't go there often because of that issue. I know other crocheters that are the same way. I have even been told when in a LYS that I shouldn't waste my time crocheting and to switch to knitting. Nope, not gonna shop there any more! :no

I have been in yarn shops where the staff's attitude toward crochet is less than positive and I don't purchase very much there. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to change some peoples opinions.

I hear you about lack of funds! I'm on a very tight budget myself and can't afford to purchase a lot of the yarns that I've seen in LYS. But like you said, sometimes the pattern deserves to be made with a 'special' yarn.

Archived