Baby CAL

heart

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I finally finished my baby bkanket. The picture isn't that good and the blanket is wet, so it looks like the colors are blotchy, but here it is anyway.

Its beautiful!

It was my plan to make a baby item for charity each month this year, and I haven't made anything for March yet. I hope to gt caught up in April.

Cindy~ what baby items do you make? Baby hats whip up pretty quickly. Do you have a special charity that you donate to? I would like to check with my local hospitals. Shipping is just too much for my budget right now.

I make stuff for the local pregnancy resource center. I can donate easily, because its one of the charities that the woman's group at my church supports. I can just take the items to church and every once in a while, they get taken to the center.

I mostly make blankets, sweater hat and bootie sets, and then extra booties to use up the last bits of yarn. I might start making hats to go with those booties.

I was hunting for something in my craft room and found a round ripple afghan that I finished a couple of weeks ago, so I did do a March project. So far I have three blankets made for this year.

Tralee-Great Job on your blanket! I is so lovely. I love the effect.

I have a question: looking at the picture, the pink part has a filet design with hearts with the baby’s name in it, then is the white part of the blanket also a filet mesh? If so, what stitch did you use (dc, hdc, sc) to make the mesh. Did you make up the pattern, or is it available somewhere? (yes, I am having a baby, and I am trying to figure out how to do this one;-) )

Gardener-Yay for you! (For finding a project that you had already done, but forgotten…are you related to me by any chance?) Now that I know that also dontate to a pregnancy crisis center, does your center place any restrictions on donations? For instance, there can be no drawstrings or buttons on booties, there can be no buttons on sweaters, etc? This is just for curiosity’s sake.

Although I havn’t been posting, I have been busy making baby things. I can’t get my comp to upload pics this morning, so here are the show and tell posts for my most recent blankies. (We are in the middle of packing up our house for a move, so I have been working on things I don’t really need to pay attention to a pattern for…maybe in 2 weeks I can get down to business!)

Clare’s Ribbon Candy Blankie

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112718

Under-the-Sea Carseat Blankie

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112717

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Set

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112716

Does anyone have any good suggestions for flowers to put onto hats? The hat in the pink and brown set is one I made up, but I would love to have two or three favorite flowers to go to, maybe even one that is 3-D.

I’ve also been crocheting up a bunch of hats, both for the pregnancy crisis center (no ends woven in yet….will wait until I have 40…that’s my goal!) and for my friend’s daughter (gave them away before I took pics….but they were all brightly coloured!) who was born two weeks ago with a serious heart condition, and has been in the local children’s hospital since her birth. This little girl and her family could definitely use some prayers.

T

Gardener-Yay for you! (For finding a project that you had already done, but forgotten…are you related to me by any chance?) Now that I know that also dontate to a pregnancy crisis center, does your center place any restrictions on donations? For instance, there can be no drawstrings or buttons on booties, there can be no buttons on sweaters, etc? This is just for curiosity’s sake.

No restrictions as far as I know. I've made booties with drawstrings and sweaters with buttons in the past, and they've been accepted. However, that was two years ago, since last year I just made blankets, so I may call them and ask for specifics.

I'm assuming that the restrictions would be for safety reasons. I often use this bootie pattern that has the ties incorporated into the pattern.

I'm wonder if a tie on a baby sweater would be a safety issue?

Although I havn’t been posting, I have been busy making baby things. I can’t get my comp to upload pics this morning, so here are the show and tell posts for my most recent blankies. (We are in the middle of packing up our house for a move, so I have been working on things I don’t really need to pay attention to a pattern for…maybe in 2 weeks I can get down to business!)

Clare’s Ribbon Candy Blankie

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112718

Under-the-Sea Carseat Blankie

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112717

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Set

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112716

Does anyone have any good suggestions for flowers to put onto hats? The hat in the pink and brown set is one I made up, but I would love to have two or three favorite flowers to go to, maybe even one that is 3-D.

I’ve also been crocheting up a bunch of hats, both for the pregnancy crisis center (no ends woven in yet….will wait until I have 40…that’s my goal!) and for my friend’s daughter (gave them away before I took pics….but they were all brightly coloured!) who was born two weeks ago with a serious heart condition, and has been in the local children’s hospital since her birth. This little girl and her family could definitely use some prayers.

The baby blankets are just beautiful.

Sorry about your friends DD. Sending good thoughts.

Gardener,

Thanks for your response about possible restrictions. I LOVE that crotiques pattern for tie-shoes! It is my favorite :-). I think I have made well over 100 pairs of booties with it. It works up quickly, and then the ties issue is a non issue. (Those are the booties I usually make the the crisis pregnancy center, and I have made many pairs for my little one on the way!)

As for the restrictions that I am aware of for the center I donate to, one of the ladies at the church, who also makes things, explained that you can't really guarentee that the recipient would know, for instance to keep vigilant check on the buttons (as I know I do everytime I put a button outfit on) so they don't do buttons or drawstrings of anysort. Now, this may just be this group of ladies at chruch who imposed the restrictions, but I have been following them because that's who I give my items to, and they in turn put together layettes for the center.

Thanks for the godo thoughts for my friend's daughter and kind comments on my blankies.

Just beautiful projects Jessica Renee! I'm working on some baby stuff right now. My brother will have his first child this summer, (I'll be an aunt!) so i'm crocheting like mad to get things made. :U I'll post a pc when I get done.

I finally finished my baby bkanket. The picture isn't that good and the blanket is wet, so it looks like the colors are blotchy, but here it is anyway.

Now you know I love this! Right? :U Beautiful!!!!!!!!

Jessicarenee20, regarding bootie patterns without ties, there are a couple at

http://www.free-crochet.com/ Todays featured pattern is a bib and bootie set, and it doesn't look like the booties have ties. They also have a baby sock pattern there. I think the tie shoes pattern looks kind of girly, so I had been looking for some that would work for boys as well.

Another thing I've done before is to permanently attach the ties to the center back of the bootie.

Tralee-Great Job on your blanket! I is so lovely. I love the effect.

I have a question: looking at the picture, the pink part has a filet design with hearts with the baby’s name in it, then is the white part of the blanket also a filet mesh? If so, what stitch did you use (dc, hdc, sc) to make the mesh. Did you make up the pattern, or is it available somewhere? (yes, I am having a baby, and I am trying to figure out how to do this one;-) )

I made up the pattern from a filet design. The body is done in a V stitch.

Heart-Congratulationson becomming an Aunt! I look foward to seeing your pics.

Gardener-Thanks for thelink, there are somelovely (not too difficult looking ;-) ) socks on there that I may have to try. I have to agree that the tie shoes look kind of girly, so when I make them for a boy, I add (after I finish the last tie) a row of hdc to top from tie to tie (I hope this makes sense.) and it really makes a difference with regards to the masculinity. If you don't understand this, let me know and I can clarify within the framework of the pattern. Here is a link to some that show you this: http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109735 .

I have also, when using chains for the drawstrings, done a slipstitch at the rear of the bootie.

Tralee-I'm very impressed with your design. I really may need to give filet a go. (I keep seeing lovely pieces worked in filet, but never seem to get around to it....)

I would like to join. I make booties for our local crises pregnancy center. I've made 3 pair so far this year. May not get alot done over the course of the year, but this would be a great place to get ideas for it.

:thinki am brand new on the pc and kinda new to crocheting. my favorite thing to make are baby sweaters. i have about 15 sweaters done and want to donate some, but haven't looked into where to donate them. i would love to join this cal - is this all i have to do to join? hopefully you guys can push me to actually donate them instead of just saying it! i am about to finish a sweater today and i am sure i will start a new one tomarrow. i'm gonna need some help finding my way around here!

Welcome Gini and Cjr!!!!

Cjr, you can go to the main Crochetville page and see all there is to do here. There's alot. :hook I'm forever finding new stuff to look at and make. As for donating, there probably are places in your community so you wouldn't have to mail anything, you'd just need to make a list of hospitals, church ministries, women's shelters, holemess shelters, anywhere you could think of that people would need help and go through your phone book/yellow pages for the numbers. Also If you call your local hospital's Human resources/services they could tell you more about if/what they accept. There are alot of places you can find online to donate too. Just make sure they are credible. There's alot of very helpful ladies here so ask away. :U

i am slowly finding my way! thanks for the advice about donating, i don't get out a lot but i'm gonna make some calls so the next time i am out i'll know where to take them. as far as pictures go i have a camera but need to get a cord to see if it even works, so for now i'm going to use my nieces next time i babysit for her and hopefully she will know how i post them!!! i don't understand or know how to do anything on this computer so it probably wouldn't help if you told me how!:think:lol i'm really excited about this cal!!!:clap thanks again!

Gshall-Welcome! I look forward to seeing some of your work. We share something in common already: I also make booties for the crisis pregnancy center . 

CJR1217-Welcome! Good luck finding a place you want to donate your sweaters to. Another place to try is a pregnancy crisis center near you. Look forward to seeing your photos once you get that figured out!

Gshall - you & i joined babycal on the same day! I also have some booties i made awhile ago that i can donate with my sweaters. So, what kind of dog is molly?

Archived