Dishcloths

realy daft question, when you guys talk about dishcloths, you realy crochet something to wash your dishes with? i would never have thought of that.

does the fibre content of the yarn matter?

thanks

realy daft question, when you guys talk about dishcloths, you realy crochet something to wash your dishes with? i would never have thought of that.

does the fibre content of the yarn matter?

thanks

Yes ma'am....I do. I use 100% cotton yarn for mine. I got hooked on them about 10 years ago when a friend gave me one as part of a housewarming gift. For me, I almost always do the same pattern & use a different color variegated yarn each time. Whatever's left over, I make into granny's daughters for a scrap afghan.

yepper.......... sure do!

I love making them and using them. The fun of making them is being able to play with different stitches and patterns... colors and textures. I use 100% cotton ... but I know others have used acrylic. Its just a personal thing.

They are nicer than store bought. They are thicker and softer!

A few dishcloths tied with a ribbon and a small bottle of dish soap in a basket makes a great little gift! :hook

:heart

:mug

I thought the same thing until I tried one. All I can say is "Wow", at the difference. They are softer and the crochet fabric actually makes the job so much easier. My mother is addicted now that I made her a few too. I use 100% cotton also.

Try it, you will love it. LOL

Absolutely! After having made and used both crochet and knitted dishcloths, I can say I will not go back to store bought ones. I am slowly converting my family as well, lol. I use peaches and cream, sugar and cream, and hobby lobby's I love this cotton most of the time. I have also used bernat cottontots, although not as much it is more expensive, and until the hobby lobby opened here where I live, harder for me to find. 100% cotton is all I use.

I haven't bought any dish cloths in years, since I started crocheting them. I love them! They are thick & with textured stitches, they scrub better than a store bought one.

I always used cotton yarn for mine but I recently made a scrubby type sponge with some acrylic "scratchy" type yarn. I think it is used for crafts. Like a rug yarn but not as thick. I put a sponge inside a long crocheted strip about 7 or 8 inches long & doubled it over & sewed it closed (with the sponge inside). It's working wonderfully to scrub my counters & dishes that get food stuck to them & have sit for an hr before they go in the dishwasher. It even got stuck on cheese off a plate (with the sponge very wet with hot water).

We (Crochetville) had a dishcloth swap last year that was a big hit. I learned lots about what textures work best, although there is an element of personal preference. And cotton is preferred, since it dries more quickly than an acrylic dishcloth would. Crochet Pattern Central has a large number of free dishcloth patterns you can try, if you're intrigued.

In fact, some of the dishcloths were so beautiful, the recipients said they were going to use them as washcloths in the bath! Patty

I too am a cotton dishcloth freaky! :D I love the way the cotton cleans the dishes and is so easy to care for in the laundry. Cotton or acrylic scrubbies are very popular too. I plan on making several of both as a housewarming gift for my newlywed grand daughter.

I am also in love with making facecloths. Mid-last year I found some gorgeous cotton thread made in Italy that was very soft, silky and thinner than the USA cotton thread used for dish cloths. I found some olive oil bath soap bars made in Italy and wrapped each face cloth with a satin ribbon around each bar of soap and gave them as Christmas gifts for all the women in my family. they were more than well received. ;)

I make dishcloths and washcloths (for washing us...lol) I love to try out new st patterns for these because they work up quickly. Or try different techniques. I do have to say that the tighter sts work best, imo because they can get stretched out when they get wet. I use acrylic and cotton....whatevers handy. :)

i love handmade dishcloths, and have a pattern on here for a soap saver for the bath, also. i bought some tulle to try (haven't yet, though) to cut and make some scrubbies.

The dish/wash cloths work up fast, make good gifts, and clean well. LOTS of patterns out there, some of the knit 1's have really cute picts worked in them also.

Sandy

cool thanks. ive got a book that has lots of stitch patterns in it. i think i will go and try to make one tighter pattern square and one hole filled one. then i can see if i have any preferences.

this way i can experiment, getgeneral crochet practice and get some practice and experience in reading patterns and have something to show at the end :)

i figure if i make all my practice square a similar size when im trying out patterns from this book i can keep them for extra little christmass prezzies as ive read some of you do on here :)

I think some people prefer a textured surface for actually cleaning dishes--the little changes in texture help scrub. But if you're going to use it to wipe down a counter (I have some I use just for that), then a more open pattern is okay. I am wrong, ladies? You have more experience with these than me. Patty

ty for all the relies laides, only have acrylic atm but will but some cotton for future refernce, does cotton not keep its colour over time? as i was going to get a nice bright red.....

http://www.texere-yarns.co.uk/texereshop/153_Double_Top_Cotton.html

another daft question, someone on this thread referred to a granny daughter made from scraps....what s that please

ah, so a granny daughter (yarn depending) would be about an inch sqaure? would take lots for a throw but such a great use for small leftovers......got another thing on my to do list now :) another addiction, esp as i hate waste

and i suppose for washcloths and dishcloths i best stick to pale colours or white....lol another addiction as im currently on my 2nd washcloth with my acrylic yarn and am loving it :) fast to do and fulfilling too

And red in particular tends to turn, so be careful when combining red cotton with another color.

There's no reason that you can't use acrylic, it's just that people prefer cotton because it gets softer with each use and is more absorbent, which is good when you're talking about something that will be immersed in water when you use it. But if you want to give an acrylic dishcloth a try, go right ahead. And when you get a chance, invest in a small cotton skein and make one from that. Then you can compare the two in terms of absorbance, cleaning ability, etc. and decide which you prefer.

I also wanted to say that I love to use mine as dust rags. They are fantastic. I like stretchy and tight stitches personally. I don't use store bought rags anymore either. You'll figure out what you like best by giving them a shot. We'd love to see pics of what you make, too! :yes

Hi ya'll ,

I recently started crocheting cotton dishcloth as well and I find using the Tunisian stitch works best because it doesn't stretch as much as a regular crochet stitch does. If you know how to do this kind of crochet, alternate your stitches between the purl stitch and the knit stitch. I give this as gifts and everyone who uses them says they work better then any others they have had in the past.

I made my sponges out of plastic canvas yarn. Just looked at the yarn label so I thought I would amend that. It is scrubbing kitchen messes great as well as stuck on food (on dishes). It does take longer to dry than cotton. I just made a long strip & doubled it over a sponge & sewed it closed to make the sponge.

I usually use cotton. I throw the dish cloth's in the washer & dryer with no problems. My favorite stitch for these are alternating front loop & back loop in the same row. They are stretchy but not too thick.

Archived