crochet dog sweaters?

Hi, Don't know where this should go so hopefully it's not in the wrong place. My Mom asked me today if I could make her dog a sweater. It is a Shih Tzu (sp?) that gets cold easily. Now my thinking on dog sweaters is that it looks like torture for the animal. So my question is do any of you make sweaters for pets and do you have a pattern recommendation?

I don't think dog sweaters are necessarily torture--I think it depends on the dog. My little Lhasa Apso loves wearing clothes because it gets him extra attention and everyone says, "Oh look, how cute!" But my Pug? Fuhgettaboutit. He won't stay in anything, so we just don't dress him up anymore. ;)

lots of dogs need something in the winter weather. I have a really neat "make it fit as you go" pattern that dogs like to wear. Mine has no leg holes which seems to be the thing that dogs will balk at.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=589274&postcount=83

it's more of a technique than a pattern. :think

...And sometime it's a must. My son owned a Chinese Crested, a hairless breed. It was imperative that it wear a sweater during our cold winters and even a t-shirt during the warm sunny seasons to help protect him from getting burned, bug bit, etc. The sweaters were "cute", the dog most precious, clothed or nekked...but the breeders who ever developed this breed down to its hairless state to where it "needed" clothes? -what were they thinking!

One of my two dogs, in his aged state (and our old drafty house) might appreciate a sweater this winter. I'd like to make one that can be easily removed (so as not to bother his achy joints). Thank you for the shared links. :)

Other than certain breeds needing to be warm, I'm not so sure about dog sweaters. I think that little dogs are cute in sweaters, but are they comfortable?? I actually want to make sweaters for my dogs, but they are all shep-rotti mixes and I'm not sure if they'll keep them on. What made me think of doing it is that I am making a sweater for my sister and the gauge got messed up because I put it aside for too long (long story, posted elsewhere, but I don't remember where). Anyway, I have the original back of the sweater, which is now trash, and it fell on the back of my youngest and smallest, and she looked SO CUTE in white and gray angora against her black and tan fur that I thought I'd put crochet straps for neck and rear paws and see how it goes. Has anyone else made sweaters for big dogs? I haven't been able to find patterns their size, but figure I can probably design my own. My dogs are 80 (the littlest) to 130 lbs.

Thank you ladies, once again I knew I would find answers here. I had no idea there were so many choices in dog sweaters. And I can say I have never seen a sweater on a cat before. I will have to get some additional details from my mom. I know she wants it to be maroon but I don't know Joy's weight, height, that kind of thing. Thanks for all your help, I may have to play around with a few different patterns. She has only asked for one for Joy, but she has several others and I have a feeling it won't stop with one.:)

Another question? What kind of yarn? Is one better than the others, are dogs sensitive to wool? I am totally out of my element here.:yes

As you can see by my avatar, I am the proud owner of a 5lb Chihuahua. :c9 Ollie loves to wear sweaters and coats. For him it is a comfort thing. Besides, he looks so darn cute. :manyheart

I always thought dog sweaters were dumb, too. Then we got a dachshund mix, and he shivers if he gets too cold. I just found this cute pattern and am in the process of making it. I had to talk dh into the idea, too. He said he would only go along with it if I used a "manly dog color." :lol Instead of different colors every row (way too many ends! :blush) I am using a self-striping yarn, with a solid color for the ribbing. It is really cute so far. :D

Well, I am the proud owner of a weimaraner puppy. Zoi is a very short hair breed and she shivers like crazy in these cool mornings. Woke up to 40+ degrees this morning and even with a sweater on she is shivering. So she is laying curled up in her chair with her fleece hoodie and two blankets with just a shiver ever now and then right now. So yes some doggies need an extra layer in colder weather. I have been planning to crochet her a jacket, just I had better get cracking.

As the owner of two big furry dogs who don't need coats, I've never made one (but I might for my sister's 4-month-old Westie for Christmas). But, I vote for acrylic yarn to answer your question about yarn type. I can just imagine what might happen to it outside while the dog is playing: rolling in dirt, leaves, worse; getting peed on through the chain link fence (okay, maybe only if your dog meets a dog like my boy, who did this to our neighbor pug over the weekend :eek). Plus, acrylic is cheap, so when you get addicted to dog coats, you can make a bunch and not feel guilty.

patty

I can say I have never made a dog sweater but I am in the process of making one for a friend who has a chihuahua mix but.. I just thought I would toss this out there that some one said they never saw a cat in a sweater I used to dress my Erin in sweaters all the time when she was young we even used to put her in Halloween costumes and walk her down the street yes she knows how to walk on a leash as do all 6 of my :cats she is the ONLY one I could ever get a sweater on I will have to see if I can find the pictures of her dressed up. So Yes some of us are crazy enough to put them on cats to :)

Dawn, not crazy at all! I am contemplating making one for my old girl cat, Lana. Her acupuncturist speculated she's 15 (2 years older than her regular vet thought) and she definitely feels the cold. This winter, I thought I might try a little sweater for her. The dogs and other cat are all very furry and seek out tile and other cool places to sleep.

And my cat, George, used to walk on a leash. I haven't tried it with these two, because of temperament and age/circumstances when they came to live with me. But the next one will definitely be trained to walk on a leash.

Patty

HI Patty:

I make crochet sweaters for the kitties that are brought over to the animal hospital for adoption and they look so darn cute and yes it keeps them warm..

As for my dog i got a Large Pomeranian 27 pounds worth and she gots all the hair but she sure does go out in sweaters and coats in the winter cause up here the weather is so brisk and then she is in the house and then to go out to the cold i surely dont want her sickly... She just walks so sassy down the street..

I yet to make her a sweater but am thinking about it as I know she will wear it proudly.

For the lady that asked.... I too would recommend worsted weight yarn for the sweaters.

Hugs

Well, I guess I can say I am now enlightened about the subject. :yes I had no idea that dog (or cat) sweaters were functional. I thought it was just that the owners thought they were cute, so that was the motivation behind the animal wearing it. I think it will try one for Joy. I think I would have just because Mom asked me to, but at least now I will have positive thoughts while making it. Positive thoughts do help the crochet process along I think. :) Thank you again ladies for your answers and thoughts on the subject.:clap

Valerie, we had a pet swap a few years ago and dang if I can remember who made the cutest little bumblebee and lady bug sweaters for her partner's dogs. Moomoo, were you in that swap? So check out the Pet Show and Tell thread for ideas, and there's tons of patterns online and now some books, too (our Crochet Dude has one, doesn't he?).

And you should know that other than children and our crochet, our pets are the next thing we love to talk about most! :lol Patty

Hi patty yes our furbabies are great to talk about...

As for the pet swap i joined but i have a parrot i didnt have foxie then so my partner then made me a beautiful double sided cage cover for Baby Lugo and right now his cage adorns the cage cover to keep him from drafts, its nippy out side....

I sure wish they would bring back that swap as i now got foxie too...

I will have to go and look out for the pets show and tell to bring back memories of all the preitties made..

The bumble bee pattern i beleive its Lion Brand if I'm not mistaken or Bernat one or another its a free pattern maybe crochet pattern central has it...

hugs

Oh I have noticed the fur baby threads here, I just didn't pay much attention to them. It's not that I have anything against animals, I just saw so much of it growing up, I choose not to live with them now in my adult years. My only "pets" if you can call them that are fish, lol. My mother has raised puppies for as long as I can remember so there was always multiple animals in the home as well as outside. We had everything from toy poodles to pit bulls, as well as cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, horses, fish, and even a turkey. But I digress, :devil now that you have had a glimpse into my colorful childhood we now return to our regularly scheduled topic.:lol

I always thought dog sweaters were dumb, too. Then we got a dachshund mix, and he shivers if he gets too cold. I just found this cute pattern and am in the process of making it. I had to talk dh into the idea, too. He said he would only go along with it if I used a "manly dog color." :lol Instead of different colors every row (way too many ends! :blush) I am using a self-striping yarn, with a solid color for the ribbing. It is really cute so far. :D

How is that pattern to work with? I tried it (in a solid color) and had a heck of a hard time. I ended up frogging it so many times and finally gave up. I don't know what I did wrong. Anyway, I hope it's easier going for you.

I finished it in a day and a half. It could have only taken a day, but I have 3 little monsters to chase around. :lol I found it really easy to work with, actually. The wording is a bit funny on the arm shaping but I think it came out rather well. :D

Okay, this thread inspired me to make my little old girl cat a sweater last night. She's about 15, and in the winter gets so cold that her feet are little popsicles. I didn't make the shoulder section wide enough (I underestimated because she's tiny, barely 6 lbs.), but the belly and neck portions are a little loose, the way I wanted them. Amazingly, she didn't freak out the two times I put in on her, during the process and afterwards. I think I may have to make her a couple of other ones, that fit better, but overall this was a successful experiment. Even if it is hot pink.

Thanks for the inspiration, Valerie! And now, end of threadjack. :P Patty

I have made one before for my saddiesue <mini dachound>. I was thinkin about makin 2 for my swap partner, she has 2 poms, but dont think I have time. So, I was thinkin about collars. Does anyone have any good patterns for dog collars? Still web searching here.

Okay, this thread inspired me to make my little old girl cat a sweater last night. She's about 15, and in the winter gets so cold that her feet are little popsicles. I didn't make the shoulder section wide enough (I underestimated because she's tiny, barely 6 lbs.), but the belly and neck portions are a little loose, the way I wanted them. Amazingly, she didn't freak out the two times I put in on her, during the process and afterwards. I think I may have to make her a couple of other ones, that fit better, but overall this was a successful experiment. Even if it is hot pink.

Thanks for the inspiration, Valerie! And now, end of threadjack. :P

Patty

Glad to be of assistance, lol.:lol

Archived