Rainbow Ripple FO

Fidgement

A CAL is a crochet a long, where members who are working on the same project share their experience. I'm probably doing a really bad job at describing this, but they keep you motivated, help you out - kind of like being part of a guild or club, only its via this forum. I got the pattern free on the internet and there are postings on this forum for it. I'll try to find it again or you can search for it as well.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful :manyheart and that is a wonderful way:idea of useing the painted doily tecnique! I wanted to try it, but there was NO WAY :rolleyesI was going to crochet with sewing thread:eek! Working in yarn is easier (I think), and the effect is still stunning:tup! Great Job! Thanks for the inspiration...:hug

oh my goodness!!!! that is more than just beautiful. I am speechless, I love it. The colours even seem to bleed together. Well done

that is one of the most beautiful round ripples I have seen thus far. I think you inspired me to try working with double strand I haven't tried that yet. I was just curious what size hook did you use for this?

Gosh, all the compliments have me speechless:blush ! I used a J hook throughout, even on the last white rounds even though I only used one strand of yarn there. I wanted the edge to be a little softer than the rest of the ghan and toyed with the idea of using a more complex edging, and actually started one, but didn't like the look with the rest of the ghan.

Again, thanks for all the compliments! It's very encouraging!

Cheers :D

Simply lovely. The delicate blending of the pastel shades worked very well. Congratulations! It is interesting that you found it heavy. I had thought of using two strands of yarn as the best way to do this. I saw another one where the person crocheted with one strand until they started to do the blending, then used two. It looked good but I thought it would be of an uneven density. Maybe the person did it that way to reduce the weight. Anyway, you have a beautiful afghan! :2magic

Hi, I have one more question. Could you tell me exactly when you switch your colors. I do know how to switch during a double crochet - I'm just not sure on this one when you do it.

Thanks again,

Joni

Parisjem, I wanted the density to be the same, so I kept the two strands consistent. I wasn't concerned with the edging and reduced to one. I felt adding the white just kind of set off the final rounds of orchid. It really is heavy (surprisingly) and since it is, it will remain a lapghan for us in the winter, definately too heavy for a baby or todler.

Joni, I switched colors at the end of the round. The afghan is made using all dc, so just follow the same method your accustomed to (add the new color before closing the last half of your stitch. I also did one dc, ch 2, one dc for two rounds in the points, and then 2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc for two rounds. I don't remember where I read to do this, but it makes it lie flat. On the final white rounds, I increased the number of stitches in the chain 2 space by one. I hope this makes sense!

Enjoy!:yes

Thank you Jeanmarie! Matching the quilt was purely accidental! That quilt took me forever to finish quilting by machine, and although I have quite a few in the hopper, waiting to be quilted, it lives on my bed! I better get another one done before I wear this one out, LOL!

Thanks for the compliment!

Beautiful ripple... Mary Maxim had a round ripple pattern called Peaceful Pastels that used a similar colorway, and it was designed to be used as a baby afghan. It used 2 strands of Bernat Baby Coordinates BABY YARN throughout, keeping the weight from getting too heavy. Can't find it on their on-line store any longer, though, to give you an idea of the colors used.

Great job on yours!

Debbie

Archived