How do you store your yarn..containers, shelves, what?

This probably has been brought up before, but I have been decluttering my house for the last several months (oh the junk we keep!) and now I'm working on my crafts room. I have at least 8 trash bags full of yarn that I just do not know how to organize, i.e., on shelves, in baskets or what. My room is not that big, so how do you all store your yarn? I don't have room for bins on the floor, so that's out. Please, if you have suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

I store mine on shelves. I had hubby take an extra bookcase we had, put it in the den by the fireplace and whaa-laa my storage problem was solved. Now everything is within view and looks so pretty. I grouped my colors together on one shelf, yarn for specific projects on another shelf and so on.....

This also helps me "control" my yarn addiction a little. If there is no room on the shelves I try not to buy till somethig is gone to make more room.

I use totes to store my yarn/thread as I don't like the idea of it being exposed to dust and what not. There are all sizes of totes you can use.

For the "most special" of my yarn and thread collection I use the clear totes. I went to the dollar store and bought several lidded clear file size boxes. It works wonderful.

I group my yarn together by type. The wweight in one tote, the cotton in another and thread in another. Special stuff in the small clear totes and my sock yarn also goes in the small clear totes.

Unfortunately, I will need to make another trip to the dollar store and the yarn/thread supply keeps growing. :lol Perhaps when you keep it all together it mates like little bunnies. :manyheart

Good luck with you decluttering. I so need to organize my stash but haven't wanted to take what little time I have away from my crocheting.

TLOL,

Toni

I have my yarn in clear totes. With the clear plastic, it's easier to see what's in them without opening them. I also have two stacks of the plastic drawers (10 drawers each- each drawer 4 inches high) like you buy in an office supply store for smaller skeins and my needles and hooks and other yarn gadets. :yes And, I also have a five foot tall wood storage cabinet with doors that I keep yarn in too, but will be putting this yarn in clear totes too as I'm finding that some dust and kitty fur is making it's way inside as the doors let in air movement around their edges.

I'm working on getting shelves put up to keep the totes on as they are beginning to take up all the floor space. They are just stacked upon each other at the moment.

I have it set up that like colors/brands are together so I can see at a glance how much I have when I'm looking to start a project.

Thankfully DH understands my stash as he has his own hobby that fills the basement! :neener (my stash is in a spare room on the main floor!)

I have my patterns and pattern books in a 4 drawer filing cabinet!

I wish I could get mine more organised! I have an alcove in my bedroom where I store all my craft supplies...in theory. In that alcove I have two sets of drawers donated by my brother, one holds squares and the yarn for my hubbys blanket, the other holds my thread, on top of those I have storage boxes full of fabric & even more yarn. Hanging above this I have totes with yet more yarn plus three boxes of yarn that are in the living room at present and really shouldn't be. Then I have my storage footstool with yet more thread & notions in ;) please don't ask me about the patterns :rofl

I store most of my yarn in the large space/vacuum sealed storage bags. Then I can stack three or four of these on a shelf in my closet. It's amazing how much yarn you can get in one of those. I love totes too and have quite a few, and I have two big plastic containers as well, but I had to come up with something else because I ran out of floor space. I store my yarn according to type.

I use totes also, have them seperated by type and size of thread/yarn, etc and then by color. I have probably 15 66 gal totes full....have some projects I keep in those grocery bags you get from the grocery store to bring home your groceries in...I keep all the thread/yarn I have for a project out then when I am done I have a tote just for left over yarn/thread...

I had a problem storing it all till my son moved out. My yarn was all over. Now his room is the "guest/den/yarn" room. His bed is gone - replaced it with a sofabed, but I use the armoire & small cabinet that were in there, plus some garage type plastic bin drawers. Oh, and the closet too. An old bookshelf will soon be in there for my patterns & books. Now when DS & his wife come for a visit they sleep with the yarn. :lol Just call me yarnmother (instead of godfather). Just wait till my DD is gone. Her room is bigger!

I use a lot of plastic bins (with lids), decorative boxes and drawers. As well as plastic bags for the inevitable overflow. And tote bags for projects I have started.

I sadly do not have alot of yarn :( but what little i have.. i took the time to roll each skane into balls and they are now in a tote bag. .. I have mabey 10 balls of yarn and that is it.. If i gt lucky enough to obtain more i will buy totes. and we have a Manufct home.. so i can easily secure the tupperwear lid bin and store it under the house. that way hubby cant complain that it's clutterin up the house cause it wont even be IN The house it will be UNDER the house lol

I recently turned an empty room into my craft room and I love it. Before I had supplies all over the house, in closets, cabinets, anywhere I could find space. Now I have three bookcases I put side by side. It looks like a wall-unit and works very well. I keep all of my yarn and pattern books plus scrapbooking supplies, cookbooks...anything I work with on a regular basis. I have a desk, small sofa and TV for crocheting, and a sink for any messy projects.:D Plus, it is right off the laundry room and kitchen where I am always busy so it's like my own "suite".

post-29491-135897444931_thumb.jpg

I recently turned an empty room into my craft room and I love it. Before I had supplies all over the house, in closets, cabinets, anywhere I could find space. Now I have three bookcases I put side by side. It looks like a wall-unit and works very well. I keep all of my yarn and pattern books plus scrapbooking supplies, cookbooks...anything I work with on a regular basis. I have a desk, small sofa and TV for crocheting, and a sink for any messy projects.:D Plus, it is right off the laundry room and kitchen where I am always busy so it's like my own "suite".

That is my dream...to be so organized.

I think I'll print off this picture and post it up for inspiration!

I :manyheart it.

I have one large see through plastic tub with a lid. Then I use 2.5 gal. size Hefty onezip plastic bags. Just the past two weeks, I acquired a "little" more yarn which is in a tall kitchen trash bag. I store all but the trash bag on a wire shelf that has four shelves. I have another wire shelf that has quilting stuff and cross stitch stuff. I'm thinking of a major purge in this room....of course my crochet and cross stitch will be exempt! I have some books and the quilting (or some of it) that may go. I have more craft stuff than I have time for.

I keep my yarn and other hobby stuff well organized, so I can find what I am looking for.

This is awesome. My husband and I are building onto our house, and when we do, I get my own craft room. He gets tired of seeing quilt frames in the dining room, and yarn all over the rest of the house. Good idea with the book shelves.

I found that using one of those pop-up hampers works well -- stands up straight but is a bit squishable. And you can see through it enough to tell the colors/types of yarn. The rest of my yarn is in clear boxes, some the kind that slide under the bed (6 can fit under a double bed).

I started out stashing the yarn in a few grocery bags until the yarn started mating. I had forgotten that yarn can multiply like :rabbit:rabbit:rabbit! So, I bought a 3-drawer clear storage bin. I thought that would do it. NOT!, I had to go back to the store and buy another 3-drawer bin. It was awesome, I grouped the yarn & thread by type and color. It was all right there at my fingertips. :clap The fiber promised me that they would refrain from procreating. I foolishly believed it :blush and soon I had to buy another 3-drawer bin. Things were going quite well for awhile. I had thought I had finally come to a meeting of the minds with the fiber and we would begin to live in harmony. :manyheart I kept my promise to the fibers and took pictures of all the proud families, adding them to the family stash tree at Ravelry and give them all an occasional stroke or squeeze. Life was good.

Then it happened, I inherited my MIL's yarn that was in grocery bags, bins, popcorn cans, baskets, vacuum bags and anything else in between. (not to mention pattern books, craft and scrapbook stuff) I am still going through her :yarn stash and it has been over a year.

I am out of organized space. The fiber has relapsed and back to mating like :rabbit:rabbit:rabbit again. I have resorted to temporary places such as large shoe boxes and bag (of all sorts), or any nook or cranny I can find. :sigh

Just yesterday, I had a brilliant idea! I would turn the office/media room into a craft room! :cheer:yay:bounce In order to that, I would have to consolidate another room's use. Now, here's the tricky part; I live in a 2 bedroom apartment. I figure, we never use the living room since we both hang out in the office/media room. My DH did not see it the same way though. :scrachin I know that after 21 yrs of marriage, I have to plant the seed first and tenderly nurture it and eventually he will think it was his brilliant idea; I will have a craft room sooner or later. :devil

I started out stashing the yarn in a few grocery bags until the yarn started mating. I had forgotten that yarn can multiply like :rabbit:rabbit:rabbit! So, I bought a 3-drawer clear storage bin. I thought that would do it. NOT!, I had to go back to the store and buy another 3-drawer bin. It was awesome, I grouped the yarn & thread by type and color. It was all right there at my fingertips. :clap The fiber promised me that they would refrain from procreating. I foolishly believed it :blush and soon I had to buy another 3-drawer bin. Things were going quite well for awhile. I had thought I had finally come to a meeting of the minds with the fiber and we would begin to live in harmony. :manyheart I kept my promise to the fibers and took pictures of all the proud families, adding them to the family stash tree at Ravelry and give them all an occasional stroke or squeeze. Life was good.

Then it happened, I inherited my MIL's yarn that was in grocery bags, bins, popcorn cans, baskets, vacuum bags and anything else in between. (not to mention pattern books, craft and scrapbook stuff) I am still going through her :yarn stash and it has been over a year.

I am out of organized space. The fiber has relapsed and back to mating like :rabbit:rabbit:rabbit again. I have resorted to temporary places such as large shoe boxes and bag (of all sorts), or any nook or cranny I can find. :sigh

Just yesterday, I had a brilliant idea! I would turn the office/media room into a craft room! :cheer:yay:bounce In order to that, I would have to consolidate another room's use. Now, here's the tricky part; I live in a 2 bedroom apartment. I figure, we never use the living room since we both hang out in the office/media room. My DH did not see it the same way though. :scrachin I know that after 21 yrs of marriage, I have to plant the seed first and tenderly nurture it and eventually he will think it was his brilliant idea; I will have a craft room sooner or later. :devil

:haha:rofl

Archived