What do I get myself into?

A few weeks ago, a parish priest walked into our knitting/crochet group and asked who the best crocheter was. It was me, according to the group, so he said he had a project for me.

Today, he brings it to our group. It's a hundred year old hand-crocheted piece of vestment that is attached to his alms with snaps. It's kind of like a lace skirt that goes underneath the cloth robes. (I don't know the proper terms for all this stuff)

He had stepped on the bottom and tore away a piece about two inches by two inches. So I said I would try.

Got some thread over at HobbyLobby, size eight, that was almost the same color. It wasn't white and it's not cream, so it was a hard match. Went back to the parish center and prayed for guidance. It took me almost two hours to figure out what the stitches were, that were missing, and then try to put them into place. I still have a couple little things to do on it, but WOW, what a project. I'm using a small size 9 hook, and the work is very tedious. I just hope it makes his approval.

It's just amazing what you can do if you try.

:manyheart

Obviously the vestment means a lot to him. How wonderful that you can share your skill this way. That is stewardship at its best.

And please post a picture if you can, I'd love to see it!

add me to the list of crochetviller's that want to see the finished piece !!!! It must be really hard work, but at the same time makes you feel good !!!! :yes

I would love to see your pics too. You have a great honor being asked to do something like that for someone who truley cherishes the piece he gave you to repair. You should be very proud of yourself and your skills!

The opening line of your post sounds like a joke waiting for a punchline

"A priest walks into a crochet group ......."

:lol

I'd love to see a picture of the finished work also. Just as long as you don't tell my parish priest about it... :hook

Archived