Sarah Cooper 2009

Materials ~ Any of the Following

#10 thread & #7 hook

#3 thread & E hook

Sport weight yarn & F hook

WW yarn & G hook

*Pattern worked in #3 thread and size E hook

Begin ~

Ch4, tr in 4th ch from hook, ch4, slst into the 1st ch, where the tr was made.

1st Side, Top Wing ~

Slst into the 1st ch4 loop, ch6, slst in 2nd ch from the hook, (picot) 2tr in the ch4 loop, 3dc in the same ch4 loop, ch2, slst in the same ch4 loop.

1st Side, Bottom Wing ~

Ch3, make 2dc, keeping last loop on hook, (you will have 3 loops total) yarn over and pull through all loops on hook, ch2, slst in the 2nd ch from the hook, (picot) ch3, slst in the same ch4 loop.

2nd Side Bottom Wing ~

*Working in the next ch4 loop for all sts this side.

Slst into the next ch4 loop, ch5, slst in the 2nd ch from the hook, (picot) 2dc, keeping the last loop on the hook (you will have 3 loops total) yarn over and pull through all loops on hook, ch2, slst in the same ch4 loop.

2nd Side, Top Wing ~

Ch2, 3dc, 2tr, ch2, slst in the second ch from the hook, (picot) ch4, slst in the same ch4 loop. Finish off and weave in ends. Gently grab top wings in one hand and bottom wings in the other hand and give a careful tug, to pull your sts into shape. Sew to clothes or bags as appliques or glue to cards for hand made greetings. Lots of great ideas, enjoy!

Adorable and so simple! :hug Thank you for sharing the pattern Heart, I bought some barrette blanks the other day and these will look great amongst the flowers I had planned for them :clap

TYFS

have been searching web for butterfly patterns for a charity project, looking forward to adding this one to the collection. It is very pretty in the colors you used too!!!!

Ooo, I like the shape of your butterfly's wings, so graceful! Looking forward to having a couple land my way. Thank you for sharing your pattern. = : )

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I'm showing my inner dumb, but when I sat down to whip up a couple of these little beauties real quick like, I got so lost. Isn't a picot a set or series of stitches repeated throughout the pattern? I am not at all sure what picot means in this pattern. I'm also confused about this part in first side bottom wing: " make 2dc, keeping last loop on hook, (you will have 3 loops total) yarn over and pull through all loops on hook"...anyone feeling generous enough to help me understand where I'm messing up? I know that I"m making this harder than it is!

Maybe I'm showing my inner dumb, but when I sat down to whip up a couple of these little beauties real quick like, I got so lost. Isn't a picot a set or series of stitches repeated throughout the pattern? I am not at all sure what picot means in this pattern. I'm also confused about this part in first side bottom wing: " make 2dc, keeping last loop on hook, (you will have 3 loops total) yarn over and pull through all loops on hook"...anyone feeling generous enough to help me understand where I'm messing up? I know that I"m making this harder than it is!

The picot is just an individual picot, in the first side top wing it says

ch6, slst in 2nd ch from the hook, (picot) the 2 chs that are used make up the picot.

Where it says " make 2dc, keeping last loop on hook, (you will have 3 loops total) yarn over and pull through all loops on hook".. basically you are making a cluster, or something like a cluster. Make a dc, and instead of pulling your hook through all the loops as you normally would for a dc, stop when there is only 1 loop left on the hook, and make another dc, also keeping the last loop on the hook. It might seem a little unusual if you haven't made clusters, but once you try it a few times it should be a little easier. Let me know if this helps. :)

Sarah, Thanks so much for your help! Must have had some sleep deprivation issues going on because when I sat down with this again it seemed way easier. I think that I was overthinking it! My daughter and I both have a sprinkling of these lovely flutterbys dancing on the bands of our sun hats!

Sarah, Thanks so much for your help! Must have had some sleep deprivation issues going on because when I sat down with this again it seemed way easier. I think that I was overthinking it! My daughter and I both have a sprinkling of these lovely flutterbys dancing on the bands of our sun hats!

Yay! That's great! :D

Very nice, it's printing out now and I will try it very soon. Just got some crochet thread size 3 in an order from Maggie Weldon! I have all kinds of ideas of where to put them. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried making one of these but it did not turn out. I am confused by some of the directions. :( ...

(1) For 1st Side, Bottom Wing: *where* do we make the dc? And - do we keep the last lp on the hook for *each* of those dc's?

(2) What are the sts that actually make up the picots?

(3) When we begin the Top Wing of the 2nd Side, we are st-ing in the *same* ch4 lp in which we made the Bottom Wing of the 2nd Side, correct?

I hope I can make one correctly next time!

Archived