Ribbon Yarn

OK, so I need to finish a project, and I probably only have 1 maybe 2 hours and its done, I could easily do it tonight, but I just can't get into it!! So I was going through my stash and I found these really pretty ribbon yarns that I got a while ago, so i wanna make SOMETHING with them. I have Modessa Linie 16 3 skeins and Louisa Harding Kimon Ribbon Pure 2 skeins. My question is what can I make? I looked through Ravelry and only really found knitted stuff. Do you think I could do a Boteh scarf in it? WOuld it work? What else can I do thats not a scarf? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!:hug

I am curious to see what replies you get as I also have some ribbon yarn, that was a gift. It's beautiful, but I don't know what to do with it!

I have used ribbon/fancy yarns as an edging on projects before, but I've never made a project entirely with them.

I'm waiting, too, to see what kind of suggestions are offered, because I have 18 rolls of Lion Incredible that I bought over a year and a half ago at Dollar Tree for $1 each (8 variegated blues and 8 called Autumn Leaves) and I have absolutely NO IDEA of what to make with them! :lol

Sorry, Melanie,I'm not familiar with the yarns you mentioned...but Ellie, the lionbrand website has several patterns for Incredible.

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternFinder.fcgi?search=Search&searchText=&craft=Crochet&categoryKey=Any&subcategory=Any&size=Any&edition=Any&cost=%2Fstores%2Flionbrand&componentCategoryKey=1694524&yarnClass=Any&searchType=0&I4.x=35&I4.y=7

If the link doesn't work, you can use the pattern finder to locate them.

What I've done with ribbon yarn is... (and I hope I explain this clearly enough!) .. is crochet a plain scarf in a contrasting or coordinating colour. I start with about 170 ch (or till the basic chain is long enough to go around my neck and come down over my chest) Alternating one row of dc (British trebles), one row of sc (British doubles), till the scarf is wide enough. I then go back and weave the ribbon yarn through the row with the dc - just thread a big needle or use a thin hook to pull it in and out over and under the dc. The effect is a very unusual scarf that's warm and pretty.

I don't have any photos (:blush yes, I should have a journal) but I did a plain black worsted weight scarf and then wove a ribbon yarn that was a combination of really bright pink/purple/turquoise though every second row. It was lovely, if I do say so myself :lol

This is what I made with the ribbon yarn. It is a pattern from the lion brand site. I sent it to a friend in England, she decided to wear it off one shoulder.

It was facinating to work with, but it does have a tendency to twist, but I think that it enhances the looks of the garment.

[/url](clickable)th_Sheila.gif

I have used Mode-dea ticker tape and they have some patterns on their site for crocheting from scarves to bags as well as shrugs.

Also if you have the book: 101 Designers One-Skien wonders, there is a pattern called Square-Hole Shrug it's crocheted with ribbon yarn. (I did see two pics on Ravelry)

Good luck with your mission on finding a pattern.

PS I just wanted to let you know that when I was working with ticker tape I found that it did a lot of twisting when coming off the skein although it might have been just me:think

A question for you, How do you wash this Ribbon Yarn projects?

I made a few scarfs and couldn't attach any washing instructions

cuz' I had no clue.

joanne

A question for you, How do you wash this Ribbon Yarn projects?

I made a few scarfs and couldn't attach any washing instructions

cuz' I had no clue.

joanne

Here are the washing instructions for the ribbon yarn Incredible yarn (found on the Lion Brand web-site)

Fabric Care Instructions

Hand wash in in cool or warm water; dry flat and not by machine. Do not bleach or iron

Here are the washing instructions for the ribbon yarn Incredible yarn (found on the Lion Brand web-site)

Fabric Care Instructions

Hand wash in in cool or warm water; dry flat and not by machine. Do not bleach or iron

Thank you very much, this is very helpful.

jaye

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I think I've decided that since ribbon yarn is bulky, I can really do any bulky pattern, right? Soooo....I think I'll make myself a sweet pea shawl, but now I wonder, with ribbon yarn, do you need to block it? I would think it would hold its shape a bit better and therefore I wouldn't need to block, right? :think

OK, I think I've decided that since ribbon yarn is bulky, I can really do any bulky pattern, right? Soooo....I think I'll make myself a sweet pea shawl, but now I wonder, with ribbon yarn, do you need to block it? I would think it would hold its shape a bit better and therefore I wouldn't need to block, right? :think

I'm not sure blocking would even do anything to ribbon yarn... It's probably polyester or some other man made fiber, and from what I've heard you can't really block those well.

I've got some really pretty ribbon yarn, but not enough to crochet anything with it even if I wanted to. But it's really nice when used like actual ribbon, like the time I crocheted a basket and threaded it around the top and tied it in a bow as an accent.

I'm waiting, too, to see what kind of suggestions are offered, because I have 18 rolls of Lion Incredible that I bought over a year and a half ago at Dollar Tree for $1 each (8 variegated blues and 8 called Autumn Leaves) and I have absolutely NO IDEA of what to make with them! :lol

I made a hat out of incredible yarn, it makes it very warm and cozy if you do tight stitches, or make it loose and summery.

Archived