Hello There from Rochester, NY

Lanik

I'm so excited I finally joined Crochetville! :jumpyay:woo

I'm very new to crochet... lets say I only know how to do chains :ohdear. But I really really really want to learn. Do you think it would be possible that I can teach myself how to crochet? Where should I start? Any advice will be highly appreciated.

You can definitely teach yourself! A lot of us here are self taught! Maybe try making yourself a simple sc dishcloth next?

Welcome to Crochetville btw - I grew up in Syracuse!

Hi and welcome to Crochetville from my little corner of Northeast Ohio. :clap You'll love it here. :hug (I'm another self-taught crocheter.)

I'm self taught! You can probably find a lot of great internet resources to teach yourself, but if you're like me (a book lover as well as a yarn lover) you'll want to head to the bookstore immediately. I used Crochet Basics by Jan Eaton which sufficed (though I didn't like any of the projects), but I was looking through Knitting & Crochet for Dummies a few days ago and the illustrations seemed much more helpful in it. Then again, it's not colorful & it doesn't have any crochet projects whatsoever. I also remember using a crochet book for kids, though I can't remember what it's called at the moment. It simplified some things and I used a couple of the small projects to test my skills. Good luck & welcome to crochetville!

Hi and :welcometo Crochetville! Nice to have you here. :cheer I also taught myself to crochet. I think its easier now, you might not even need a book - just search the web:think . I've seen tutorials and lots of free quick and easy patterns for beginners back in 2001 when I began to have internet access.;)

hello and welcome!!! Where were you people when I was there in Rochester for 6 years!!! Guess we should ahve started crochetville earlier! Oh well beter late than never!!!

Hugs

Vims

PS where in Rochester are you? I used to live in Henrietta !!!

Welcome aboard! I'd check out stitchguide.com, which has videos of different stitches and patterns for you to practice that stitch. And Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet has nice illustrations for both right-handed and left-handed crocheters. I've been teaching myself different stitches using these resources, too. There are crocheters of all levels here at Crochetville, so lots of help is available when you need it--just ask. Patty

Welcome from another Rochesterian! :D

You absolutely CAN teach yourself! I did! I taught myself about five years ago. :)

But, if you really really get stuck, I also teach at the Southtown Jo-Ann's. ;)

hello and welcome!!! Where were you people when I was there in Rochester for 6 years!!! Guess we should ahve started crochetville earlier! Oh well beter late than never!!!

Hugs

Vims

PS where in Rochester are you? I used to live in Henrietta !!!

I live in Crittenden Blvd by Strong Hospital. I am a graduate student in U of R/Medical Center. :book:ccompute

Welcome from another Rochesterian! :D

You absolutely CAN teach yourself! I did! I taught myself about five years ago. :)

But, if you really really get stuck, I also teach at the Southtown Jo-Ann's. ;)

That's good to know, Suebee! I guess you have a schedule for your classes... where can I find out? :think

Thank you everybody for making me feel welcomed! :rock

That's good to know, Suebee! I guess you have a schedule for your classes... where can I find out? :think

Thank you everybody for making me feel welcomed! :rock

Yup, got a schedule... the summer and fall schedules are both available at the store. :D I'm scheduled through October right now.

Eek, my online class listings are way out of date. I was going to give you a link, but April classes are still listed. Yikes. *adds to her to-do list*

I do have a level I class starting Monday night. :)

Bonjour! Welcome to Crochetville from Belgium! :hugSelf-teaching via the internet is fairly easy! I did that back in December when I was learning! Good luck, have fun and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!

Thanks Suebee! But I'll have to wait, next Wednesday I'm going home (to Puerto Rico for 2 weeks :jumpyay:woo). I'll try to take a class after my vacations though.

Thanks Kimberly! I have to say that your blog was the first one I found :compute when my interest for crochet started... and know I'm a regular visitor. Take care...

To everybody... thank you so much for leaving welcome posts!!!

Archived