So... um... why send an email?

I just received another email from someone who refuses to allow me to email her. I don't quite understand that... why would you send an email knowing that you will not get a reply. it was a very nice, friendly email for all that but why :?

I have changed my settings [to no email] so this won't happen again but every time I have gotten one of these it just makes me :think is all.

Personally I prefer a PM but maybe I am missing something.

How do others respond to this? Am I missing something?

The ONLY reason i can think of, well two really, why she wouldn't want you to send an email, is 1)she wouldn't know how to open it up, maybe someone has to help her with sending one to you 2) she's worried that if you send her something, she'll get a virus on her computer.

I'm not sure why she sent an email but was it a friendly email from someone at Crochetville? That is really odd especially if it was out of the blue. I can't imagine telling someone not to email me back if I emailed them first!

Sellers on ebay do that a lot. They send information about your purchase but they sometimes say do not respond to the email. The reason being 1. the emails don't need replies & 2. they probably get too many emails if they are a power seller. If the email doesn't bounce back, they know you got it & don't need to open it just for "ok thanks".

It was a very nice email. But I just have had one too many people send me an email to which I cannot reply here.

If I respond to their emails through the direct route (which I have done on occasion for questions etc. ) then that person has my email addy. Never mind me sending them a virus; what about someone sending me spam once they have an addy.

No... from now on I will do all correspondence through PM's here. it is safer for everyone.

I suppose some people just aren't remembering that they chose NO mail when they send mail but I found it disconcerting each time I could not respond. :think

The only thing I can think of is that they dont realize that option is not checked to receive emails. I didn't until I saw this post. I went into the options section on my user CP to see if there was anything in there that would keep me from receiving e-mail from members here and low and behold I found out I did not have the option to receive checked. Thatnks for this post. Now I know Ican receive emails. Others ho want to receive emails from members here may want to check their user CP just in case.

I suppose some people just aren't remembering that they chose NO mail when they send mail but I found it disconcerting each time I could not respond. :think

Oh, I see....she sent you an email, but you can't respond because she chose "no email" on her settings. I was a little confused at first, but I get it now. She probably did forget that she chose that.

PM's are definitely safer, but there are times when I need to send a picture or something that I don't want to have to go through the trouble of uploading to my picturetrail page first.

Yes, if it bothers you, it would probably be best to just turn off your email option, too. I'm sure the intentions of the other party were innocent, since you said the email was nice.

:manyheart

Oh, I see....she sent you an email, but you can't respond because she chose "no email" on her settings. I was a little confused at first, but I get it now. She probably did forget that she chose that.

PM's are definitely safer, but there are times when I need to send a picture or something that I don't want to have to go through the trouble of uploading to my picturetrail page first.

Yes, if it bothers you, it would probably be best to just turn off your email option, too. I'm sure the intentions of the other party were innocent, since you said the email was nice.

:manyheart

those are pretty much my thoughts too. I just didn't understand "sending" an email when you did not want a response. :think

Darski, it sounds like you didn't want to respond to emails you receive directly through your email program, because you tend to be protective of your email address and don't want a lot of people you really don't know personally yet to have access to it. (Which is perfectly fine. :))

I just wanted to make sure you and everyone else realize that when you reply back through the "email a member" feature here, that member still gets access to your email address, as the forum software uses your email address as the reply-to address so your conversation can continue easily through email. There is a clear statement about this just under the text box whenever you choose to email a member, although it is in small text:

Note: By using this form, your email address will become available to the user who you are emailing.

So for those of you who don't wish to share your email address with other members, please do not use the "email a member" feature, as that WILL divulge your email address to the other party.

I don't recall if I have the accept emails checkbox checked, but I can think of one very good reason why I'd email someone through the forum regardless.

Sometimes people disappear and we can't rely on them coming to the Ville to get their message when they've been absent for so long and I just want to know that they are ok!

Postulating on reasons other people may have for their "email a member" preferences in their profile really isn't helpful, and could lead to some bad feelings.

I've provided the information about what members need to know when they choose to use or not use this feature, so I'm going to close the thread now.

Remember: there is effectively no difference between responding to an email received from a member and returning to the forum to use the email a member feature, as that other member will get the email address stored in your profile either way. If you don't want to divulge your email address to other members, always respond to and initiate correspondence via our Private Message feature. :)

Archived