Where to find rustproof pins

Hello everyone,

I've been to Michaels and Joanns and have not been able to find rustproof pins. What brand do you buy and where do I find them? Please let me know and I have a big project that I need to block and I would hate for the item to have rust marks!

Thanks,

Krista

I think I got mine at AC Moore. I got a new set not that long ago because they get so sticky after awhile. I threw out the cardboard they came on so I'm not sure what brand they are. Usually Dritz is the most common brand. You could try walmart. You want either stainless or brass. I read a post awhile back that someone suggested using toothpicks. They certainly won't rust. I did read one person said they were to big. Any store that has a decent selection of sewing supplies should carry the rustproof pins. If you google them you can find them online but the shipping is alot more than the pins.

I'll keep my eyes open next time I am out and if I find them I will let you know where.

TLOL,

Toni

Thanks for the info Katchkan, I was always scared the nickle plated ones might rust. Now that I know I can get them next time. I think they were alot less expensive.

Question - what do you do when your pins get all sticky?

TLOL,

Toni

I haven't had a problem with them getting sticky, I don't use that much spray starch and I never starch with sugar so it's not an issue for me. I use the pins with the ball heads as they are easier on the fingers when pushing them in to the blocking board.

I have been using my quilting pins, they haven't rusted at all. I believe the original package may have said rust proof, but not positive. They are longer than regular pins, and hold better when I stretch the item being blocked. (the little pins used to lean over or pop out).

I use quilting pins for my blocking - I like to use the ones with the large, flat heads that make it easier to insert and remove them. When my pins look like they are accumulating too much of the starch solutions (I use spray starch), I take one of my son's baby wipes and clean each pin. I only have about 40 pins, so it doesn't take long at all.

I use the quilt pins that I find at Wally's. They say rust-proof on the box.

I just happened to be cruising through Maggie's Crochet site tonight and noticed she has the T shaped pins and the ad says they are rust-proof.

My pins are all sticky right now from using Stiffy to starch snowflakes. When I get through with that project, I plan to try a little rubbing alcohol to remove the residue. If that doesn't work, I'll probably just toss them.. they don't cost all that much.

I have used t-pins that are used for wigs. They are used to hold the wig to the manequin head. When they get sticky, I just throw them in a bowl with some dish detergent and water. Let them soak a bit and dry them off. I have had the same pins since the 70''s. I have done a lot of doilies and never had a problem.

I found mine in JoAnn's. If I remember (don't have the cardboard label), they specifically said rust proof. They have the little different colored ball heads. Also, I didn't find them with the sewing supplies, I think it was more with the quilting supplies. I asked the women that cuts the fabric and she found them for me.

Archived