Which do you think is a better idea?

Which do you think is the better/best idea?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think is the better/best idea?

• Crochet Set: Stitch Marker Case, Hook Roll/Case, Tote Bag
    • Kitchen Set: Dishcloth, Potholder, Towel Topper
    • Current Plan: 2 Different Potholders, Dishcloth, and Towel Topper
    • Other: Please give me your thoughts.

I teach crochet classes and have taught the same lesson plan several times. I am thinking of changing the lesson plan but cannot decide on a new theme. I have to submit my new lesson plans by January 5th.

This is a beginner class. My objectives would be to teach a sl knot, sl st, ch, sc, hdc, dc, how to join pieces together with a sc and possibly change colors or add on new yarn.

I try to keep the costs for the students minimal so doing things with all the same type/brand of yarn in bulk, one hook size, etc.

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated, both on what you think I should teach and the objectives. Thanks in advance.

(I teach an advanced class for squares, multiples, and joining methods for afghans so that would not be included in this class.)

Midds,

If I were to take a beginners class, I know I would want something I could easily complete and use. I'm sure your pretty sick of teaching the same class over and over so I voted for none of the above.

In my opinion I would do the dishcloth, potholder and a simple tote bag. This way your students would have something to keep their supplies in and bring them to your next more advance class when they could make more difficult items like hook cases, etc. The tote could easily be made from crochet cotton so it wouldn't add an extra type of yarn to the supplies needed, same with hook size.

Thanks for letting me add my 2 cents,

TLOL,

Toni

I like the idea of the crochet set for beginners. I think most beginners would find them useful and it also demonstrates how you can use crochet to make practical objects. I personally wouldn't get as much benefit from towels or pot holders because I already have plenty of them but I've been crocheting for a couple months now and I still don't have stuff to make traveling with my crochet easier.

I voted for 'Other' because I think it depends on your target market, and what you offer kind of determines your target audience as well. What age are the people that typically join the group, and would you attract a different type of audience if you offered other things?

In other words, I personally wouldn't be interested in, say, a knitting class that offered to teach me how to make a dishcloth or a cloth topper. I'm 33 so I'd prefer to learn to make things that are a bit, um, more fun :lol -- maybe the tote bag, a crochet belt (I wouldn't wear one myself because I don't have the hips for it, but they're quite 'in'), a small clutch purse, something like a simple beanie (good for learning how to increase in the round, the basis for many other hat designs), a nice scarf... things that could be made for yourself or given as gifts. I don't think a hook case would be of much interest to many beginners because starting off they only have one or two hooks anyway (I have loads of hooks and use an old pencil case - and I've been crocheting for 25 years!). A small wallet or clutch bag uses the same techniques but has a wider appeal.

Again, I'm not saying anything against dishcloths, but it might be interesting to see what kind of people join the class if you offer other types of articles.

Midds,

In my opinion I would do the dishcloth, potholder and a simple tote bag. This way your students would have something to keep their supplies in and bring them to your next more advance class when they could make more difficult items like hook cases, etc. The tote could easily be made from crochet cotton so it wouldn't add an extra type of yarn to the supplies needed, same with hook size.

I second this. That way you can teach them that "Yes, crochet can and should be used for washing dishes. It's never 'too pretty' to use!" :lol And the tote bag could be used for lots of different things, which would showcase crochet's versatility.

I'm glad to hear your classes are still going strong!

I voted for "other" and wholeheartedly agree everything Miss Crochet said. I think a fun group of things to start with could be a beanie, a scarf, and a small clutch purse or maybe a cell phone cozy/holder. Especially if you're teaching a younger crowd. I'm in my early 30s (31 next week!) and towel toppers do nothing for me. I do make dishcloths, but I don't have a dishwasher - most of my friends my age have dishwashers in their apartments or houses and don't even wash dishes by hand. I appreciate a good thick crocheted potholder, but I also cook a lot - there are a fair number of women my age who don't cook much. Kitchen stuff is great, it's just not appealing to everyone.

I would think that especially at this time of year, a class offering an opportunity to make your own hat and scarf would be very popular!

I voted "other". I thought that they might enjoy learning how to make something "in the round" such as a simple small pull-string bag or a hat because I've noticed some people are scared of tackling that by themselves thinking it's harder than it actually is (I know I did...) and at the same time they'll have the opportunity to make something they can wear themselves or make for someone they love and you'll be able to break away from the routine.

I voted "other" too. I think a dishcloth, beanie, and tote would be a great way to teach the basics as well as emphasis the versatility of crochet. Those cloths can be stitched together to make a scarf, for instance...or once a student can make a square, rectangles(scarves) are easy peasy...A beanie is just a thing for anyone to learn to make. Gift giving will never be a burden if one can make a hat....And totes are just fun!

I also voted for Other. I do like the idea of making a number of items.

I like the idea of a dishcloth, but better yet, a facecloth with tighter stitches. I only recently tried facecloths and I cannot believe how much I love them. I would do this as the first project, and the students can learn how to crochet in rows.

For a second project, I like the idea of a beanie hat. It's not too big of a project and the students can learn to work in the round.

For a third project, I love the idea of a bag. If a tote is too much material or too time consuming, I'd just do a smaller bag. This way the students can learn how to do an oval bottom with the sides worked in the round all in one piece ~ or how to make flat pieces and seam them ~ plus make handles or straps. There's optional ties, tabs and buttons, or flaps.

I would think a combo is best...

Giving them a sample of the basics, a hook case to celebrate their new craft(I put my stitch markers on outside of my case) making this the last project and adding a fancier stitch to a basic one, a round pot holder or wash cloth (teaches them to work in rounds), a scarf, utalitarian and pretty, (learning row work and turning). Using a sc, hdc or dc as a featured stitch in each project.

I would call it "Birth of a Crocheter".

I voted "other". I thought that they might enjoy learning how to make something "in the round" such as a simple small pull-string bag or a hat because I've noticed some people are scared of tackling that by themselves thinking it's harder than it actually is (I know I did...) and at the same time they'll have the opportunity to make something they can wear themselves or make for someone they love and you'll be able to break away from the routine.

The second potholder that I normally teach is a version of the double thick diagonal potholder so they get to crochet in the round.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! Keep them coming. I appreciate it so much!

Archived